“Cute little place with lots of charm, but a bit noisy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Naira Hostal

Naira Hostal
Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in La Paz
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cute little place with lots of charm, but a bit noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Overall I loved this place! Great value for money, good location, cozy and warm ambiance and a nice bar/hang-out area to meet other people. It is right in the historic center near the plaza francisco. My only complaint is that the sounds echo a bit so it can be a bit noisy at times. Mostly this was fine but when large groups walk in or talk in the hall on the first floor you can hear it even on the third floor.

Overall I would recommend it though!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HopelessWanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hostal is very cute and quaint and has some good things going for it, but my initial impression upon check in was so bad I considered changing hotels without even staying there. I had made a reservation by sending an email to the email address from the website. The person responding had been very helpful and responsive and I was looking forward to the stay. However, when we arrived at the hostal with the email in hand complete with a booking confirmation, the people at the front desk said they didn't have a reservation for us and made us feel like we had done something wrong. They ended up giving us a room, but I got the distinct impression that they felt like they were doing us a favor. They showed us to one room and also brought our bags there, but gave us a key to a different room. When I went to ask about this, there was more irritation on their part. The hostal is located close to the witches market and other shopping which is good in a way, but it's also a very noisy location and being an old building with old windows and doors, there's not much to block out the noise. We ate dinner at the restaurant, which was quite good, but a group of people chain smoking at a nearby table diminished the experience. Since the restaurant is located in an indoor courtyard of the hotel, I am sure that guests in the rooms facing the courtyard could smell it as well. Most, if not all, of the other hotels we stayed at in both Bolivia and Peru were non-smoking which I didn't even really notice until after this. We had made a booking for later on in our trip when we would be coming through La Paz again, but there was no way I was going to stay here again. Other than the front desk personnel when we checked in, the rest of the staff was very friendly, and noise and smoke aside, I probably would have had a much better experience if that initial impression had been different.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fly_2_the_moon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this place. We booked a double room as a couple after reading the reviews on here. It is superbly located in the centre of things, it is very clean and beautifully decorated, the staff are professional and helpful. They booked us cabs to visit various places (ask them to take you to the higher points of the city the photos are amazing! 60 BOL for 1 hour) and advised us of the fixed price. They have 24 hour security and a maid cleans your room daily. It really is a cut above and the food in the restaraunt was inexpensive and delicious - the cakes especially! We emailed ahead and asked to be put on the court yard side as apparently there is a little street noise at the front and the staff did this. It is a little more expensive than your average Bolivian hostel however it was worth it, would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in late November 2013. The location is hard to beat. 1 min walk from Plaza San Francisco, and plenty of restaurants, lavenderias, money changers, tour agencies around.

This is a hotel, not really a hostel. With a lounge, a bar, a restaurant, daily cleaning service of rooms, towels, shampoo etc provided. Bed was comfortable and room was cozy.

Rooms are arranged around a central courtyard, with a few overlooking Sagarnaga Street. I stayed in room 105, which was facing into the courtyard and, unfortunately, right next to the kitchen of the restaurant attached to the hostel on one side, and the dining room on the other side. So I hear kitchen noises late into the night and early morning as breakfast is prepared. Additionally, the courtyard also traps and carries noise very well so you can hear conversations loud and clear. One morning at 6am, a couple decided to Skype in the courtyard (wi-fi signal is not great in the rooms), and I could even hear what the other person on Skype was saying - through my ear plugs!

One last point is that my room only had one small window above the door to my room. Did not provide much ventilation. And no, closing the window only made the room noisy AND stuffy.

Perhaps the other rooms were better, but for my experience, this would have been a great place to stay had the soundproofing been better.

Room Tip: Avoid room 105!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Right next to Plaza San Franscisco, this Hostal is in the perfect spot. It still manages to remain very quiet though! It´s not really a hostel, but there are plenty of communal areas. Very tidy rooms, and perfectly hot water. Helpful staff and the best breakfast I´ve had in all of South America.

Room Tip: The rooms over the courtyard are a touch noisier at night. Try to ask for one away from the restaura...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

If you like to stay in the heart of a city then this is a great option. Naira Hostal is just a block up from the San Fransisco Church, so is walking distance away from everything in central La Paz. Hostal really isn't a great word for it, as this is a very nice Hotel. The rooms are well appointed, breakfast delicious and the common areas make you feel like you're in a posh hotel. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked the main strip and it was wonderful just to stand out there and watch all of the activity going on. Some people might worry about the noise but actually the room had thick wooden shudders which blocked out the noise and ear plugs ensure that absolutely nothing is heard. Wi-fi is also good here. If I'm back in La Paz this is absolutely where I'll stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Naira Hostal. The location is perfect -- right beside the church and on the main tourist street -- so easy walking distance to restaurants and such.. There's a coffee shop downstairs in the hotel where they serve a breakfast buffet, which had scrambled eggs, pancakes, fresh juices, breads, and strong coffee... it was a fabulous included breakfast. La Paz isn't a very safe city, but we felt safe in this hotel.

The room was large with a table/chairs. Hot showers, super clean and safe. Internet was fast. I wouldn't describe this place as a hostel... it's more like a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple