“Best food we had in Bolivia”
Review of Red Monkey

Red Monkey
Ranked #86 of 444 Restaurants in La Paz
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: In-property, urban, organic, vegetable garden to supply for most of our dishes. The building was artistically designed to be cozy, modern and relaxed, with a taste of natural and organic tones. The atmosphere is perfect for a date away from the ordinary, everyday dinner out.The kitchen is open to see what and things are prepared. Of menu is all vegan wit all innovative/creative recipes to try. Sharing is recommended in order to try everything out. Recipes are available for those interested (we believe in being creative and in freedom of information).Our green bar is known for its tasty and refreshing cocktails (made with high quality spirits and fresh juices).
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Loved this little restaurant. It's a bit tucked away in the Achulmani/Zona Sur area of La Paz, but well worth making the effort.
Delicious meal. Portions are small (so you can try lots!) and we had some great cocktails. I believe they use a lot of the herbs and produce they grow themselves.
Definitely the best meal we had in Bolivia, by a long way. Wish they had London branch!

There are newer reviews for Red Monkey

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

One again I had my mind blown away... Just amazing food!!!, the new menu is so good the portobello burger is one of my favorite!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I went there with high expectations, especially because I like the concept of growing your own food. However, flavor and price were not up to the standards, and I do not plan to come back. The drinks were nice and innovative.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is one of the restaurants I have been back to the most times in La Paz, and that is saying something since my favourite dish is a steak, closely followed by a steak. The guys in Red Monkey treat both their food and their guests with a perfect mix of curiosity and care. the food is always tasty, the service great, and the ambience in the restaurant is relaxed, casual and stylish. The staff is very knowledgeable about the food they serve, and they are very good with small children. At high altitude, I sleep very poorly if I eat heavily, and the food in Red Monkey finds the perfect balance between filling me up and filling me up too much. Their burgers are nothing short of fantastic, and the alcohol-free drinks are tasty and well prepared. I recommend this to anyone, especially meatlovers, who, like me, might need a little kick in the behind....

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Red Monkey is located on a quiet residential street in the La Barqueta section of Achumani, in La Paz's Zona Sur (Southern Zone). As you enter, the restaurant (in a converted house) is on the left, and a garden is on the left. Many of the dishes use fresh vegetables (and even flowers) from this garden, such as Swiss chard, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli.

The food is fresh and innovative, and is clearly prepared with loving care and attention. We are not vegans but we totally loved every bite of our meals. We started with mimosas, made with fruit juice (from a local fruit called tumbo; I don't know what it is called in English) and cranberry juice. I also ordered a refreshing drink made with coconut milk and the aforementioned tumbo juice. The quinoa burger was excellent, made with red quinoa and served on a homemade bread roll along with with baked chard "chips". The Swiss chard wraps were outstanding: a filling of quinoa, hummus, shredded red cabbage and other ingredients, seasoned to perfection and wrapped in a fresh chard leaf. Our desserts, fig cake and mocha cake, were delicious.

Service is excellent. The restaurant's interior has a modern look, but on a sunny afternoon ask to sit outdoors to enjoy the view of the garden and the nearby hills. We went on a Sunday, which tends to be very busy, so I suggest calling first to make a reservation.

We look forward to returning.

1  Thank stitcheroo1