“Love!”

Ranked #78 of 239 Speciality Lodging in Bogota
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Love!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed in a private room here and it was fantastic for the price paid. I didn't actually arrange the booking so I cannot comment on that experience, but once we arrived we had no issues checking in at all. After dealing with crappy showers the entire trip, I am also giving Alegria 5 stars for an excellent shower! The hot water and good water pressure after a long hike was just what I needed. The room had a little fireplace (although not working) and the beds were very comfortable. Blankets very warm. Also, the two "guard dogs" are very sweet and were a pleasure to have around.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brampton
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed 8-nights! I thought about changing hostels because there are so many around but I really liked Alegria. The place was just a few blocks (10-15 min walk) from downtown. It's small so it did fill up on some nights - reservations are a good idea. It wasn't a party hostel (thank goodness) but it did always have some music playing! The staff is very helpful...Alegria the owner basically planned my itinerary for me! And they can help you book anything you need from cabs to tours out of Bogota.

Note:
-Some of the staff didn't speak english very well BUT there are always hostel-mates around to help translate if needs be. I liked being able to practice my spanish with them!
-The breakfast was good! Nice bread, jams, butter, fresh juice, fruits and amazing coffee!

Room Tip: The 10-bed dorm is on the top (second) floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I sent an email to this hostel asking if they had any private rooms available for 3 nights and to confirm the price. They confirmed to have private rooms available for the dates we will be in Bogota and confirmed the price of 60,000 for a private room. We sent a follow up email to book it and went to Tayrona National Park for 2 nights without any internet. Once we got back and checked our email, we have recieved an email stating they booked us in a 10 dorm bedroom. We contacted them again asking for a private room but then they were already booked out. It is a terrible management who is incapable of making bookings. I would not trust them! We ended up booking at another hostel in Candeleria.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Newtown
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here less than a week ago in a private room with my boyfriend. I was a little fearful that we may have had troubles with our booking (as per other reviews) especially because we were checking in at 10pm at night. But alas! When we arrived our booking was there and we were checked into our room just fine. The room was beautiful and spacious and the bed and warm blankets were perfect.

Overall it's a really great hostel, the style and layout of the hostel makes it quite cosy and comfortable inside - which is just what you need after a long day walking the streets of la candeleria. It isn't a huge party hostel but there is definitely a social atmosphere - you can sit in the courtyard and drink whilst listening to your own music. Alegria also took us out one night to play tejhoe (not sure how to spell it) and it was really fun! She even drove us there and back in her car!

The hostel also had good security, and even though you had to ring a bell to get inside each time, it ensured that no unwanted outsiders could enter the place. We even felt comfortable enough to leave our room open during the day.

The staff were also super helpful, and even though they didn't speak spanish they tried to help out whenever possible! Alegria is really nice.

All in all, I Had my favorite stay in Colombia at this hostel, it is highly recommended... but book ahead!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Araraquara, SP
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed for a week on the dorm with 9 other beds and I felt really confortable. The blankets are simply great, really hot showers and all the hostel is cleaned up all the time. Great staff as well!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My first stay at this hostel was very disappointing, because the private room I had booked and which had been confirmed was not available. In fact I arrived one day later than booked due to a flight delay, but I had immediately informed the hostel both by phone and e-mail and asked them kindly to keep up my reservation.

After an exhausting journey of 34 hours the fact that they didn't have the room booked was a very bad news and the alternative to sleep in a dorm was not very appealing to me. Because I was very tired and because the girl at the reception promised me improvement for my next stay three weeks later I accepted the bed in the dorm instead of looking for a new hostel.

The dorm was very small and bad smelling because of humidity and I didn't feel at my ease.
The next day when I checked out I encountered some difficulties, because the receptionist initially didn't want to take into account the prepayment I had done for the private room, but only did so after some discussion.

So, I was supposed to stay in this hostel three weeks later and I decided to give them a second chance, but it didn't come so far. As soon as I arrived at the hostel I was informed by the night clerk that there was no room for me. I was quite irritated about this statement and just shortly after Alegria, the owner, appeared starting insulting, screaming and attacking me verbally. She accused me of not having paid the bill after my first stay and how I had dared to write a bad review about her hostel. Further she told me she didn't want to see my face in her hostel and she literally threw me out of the hostal. A businesslike and constructive dialogue was not possible with her since she didn't let me speak.

Being myself a tourism professional I was really shocked about such a behaviour towards a guest. Instead of analizing what went wrong the first time and see it as a chance of improvement, she acted like wanting revenge. A behaviour that in my opinion has nothing to do with a professional attitude.

It's really sad, because the hostal had been recommended to me by some friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Capunsli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

We felt more than a little duped by some of the reviews of Alegria's in the Candelaria district of Bogota (an amazing city!), which said that this hostel was charming and beautiful, with a hands-on owner who could show you around the area. And it is indeed a beautifully decorated pension style building - almost like an Alpine cottage in appearance - but it's TINY. I mean, really small - you have to squeeze through really narrow doors and clamber up an Alice in Wonderland spiral staircase to reach the upstairs bedrooms. The kitchen / lounge area downstairs is similarly cosy, allowing max six people to cook / dine / chill at one time. This would be fine if it only offered three private rooms or so, but it also contains a huge 10 bunk dorm upstairs and another 4 bunk dorm downstairs, plus double bedrooms. There's literally nowhere to move some nights. The beds in the dorm were incredibly uncomfortable: instead of buying half decent mattresses they piled really cheap ones on top of each other, with the result that they kept moving around, all the bedsheets kept falling off and you were on a constant slope - I nearly slid out of the bunks altogether at one point. The bathroom bin didn't get changed for days - never a nice experience in this part of the world - so we had to ask someone to do it. The showers though were hot and powerful. Finally, in terms of the owner being around to signpost us to cool places to go out, it's not like we needed anyone to hold our hands, but we didn't see her the whole time we we there. There was a board in reception listing some good places to go for an affordable night, but when we were there there wasn't much of a sociable atmosphere and certainly no sign of arranged nights out, so if you're looking for that sort of place you might want to check out Musicology or another party hostel in the area. We checked out after a couple of nights' terrible sleep, and found much better value dorms at Bella Vista down the road.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bogota
Eco-Hotel El Hamaquero
#3 of 4 in Isla Grande
Isla del Sol
Isla del Sol
#2 of 17 in Islas de Rosario

Been to Alegria's Hostel? Share your experiences!