“Friendly staff, great location, OK atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Sue Candelaria
Ranked #19 of 282 Speciality Lodging in Bogota
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Staff v friendly. Rooms super warm. Decent common area (particularly enjoyed collection of movies). OK food facilities. Atmosphere wasn't great when I was there, but I guess that's down to luck :)

Try the Mongolian restaurant down the road - delicious!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostal Sue Candelaria

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This hostel is a brilliant place to stay in Bogota. The area, Candelaria, is a short walk from the plazas and is surrounded by quaint cafés. The bathrooms and rooms are kept impeccably clean. Staff are incredibly friendly, and eager to help. The morning breakfast varies in the style but we always found it yummy and filling, plus healthy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed in the 12-f hostle. This hostal was absolutly horrible. From the moment you walked in it smelt of cat, from the hostals cat which was allowed to wander at will including in made up bedrooms when they were empty and then people were expected to sleep in the beds, I also saw the cat bite a guest! The beds were horrible, being either rock hard or overly soft and the sheets didnt even pretend to fit, I couldnt touch my bed without all four corners springing to the center of the bed. The whole place was also extreemly cold, our room was in a shed out the back and so it was even colder than the rest of the place, it was impossible to stand on the floor without shoes or really thick socks and it was nessicary to sleep with a fleece and thick socks. As well as this when it rained (which is does alot in Bogota) we were given a towle to shove under the door to stop the room from flooding. There was also no space for your suitcase if you wanted to be on the floor your bag had to be on the bed and vice versa. Breakfast also wasnt good and had to be suplimented as soon as you left - as well as this breakfast was technically served for 2 hours what this actually meant was that it arrived at some point in that time period and you got it when they could be bothered. Laudry was expensive and also they told you one price when you collected it and another (higher) price when you paid. Also the staff were not very freindly and you are told to only get taxis from your hotel in Bogota but these were the worst we got overcharging, giving the staff very obvious kickbacks and also calling us a very rude name when we wouldnt pay the extreem over pirce (we still paid 5 more than it should have been).
But the worst is that there were only 2 bathrooms for c.35 beds and with all that use they were dirty. Plus there was no where to hang your clothes/towle, the water was either freezing or boiling and as the toilets were in with the showers if 2 ppl had a long shower you could not go to the bathroom!!
All in all the worst possible place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The best thing of this hostel is very good location. It has safety, helpfull staff, nice breakfast, fast internet, comfortable beds. But there are very noisy inside. But it was our last nights in Colombia after a long trip, we were very tired, so it didn't disturb us :)
But I didn't understand the policy of hotel's taxes, because we had made more reservations on booking websites in Colombia's hotels, but just in Hostel Sue Candelaria we were asked to pay additional 16 % VAT.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I booked the hostel because on whichever portal I looked, it got high ratings.

It's okay, but I can't really say I'd recommend it. I booked a single room for two nights to get some sleep after my journey to Colombia, which didn't actually happen because I woke up several times as I was too cold. My room had all the heat insulation of a beach hut (so none) without the benefit of actually being on the beach. I had a severe cold for the better part of the next week and I'm fairly positive this was where it originated. During the second night, I used the blankets and stuff you usually sleep on instead of under and I was a little better, but still cold. Also, my room and the hostel are kinda dark which is one of my pet peeves. The breakfast is okay, but not a lot. The staff was nice. The hostel was also really clean compared to some other hostels I've stayed in, which was pleasant.

The area is nice to visit, but I wouldn't stay there again. It's just not my thing, but I didn't really feel unsafe. There's a great restaurant down the street from the hostel (Osteria Italiana or something like that). Not something for a long stay, but if it weren't for the cold it would be okay for a few nights.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I don't understand where the good reviews come from:

- the beds are totally ruined, it feels like sleeping in a bathtub
- the blankets are ridiculously small and light for a city like Bogota, I was still cold with 6 of them
- there is no privacy at all, in the dorms, or in the private rooms, you can hear EVERYTHING from everywhere, forget about sleeping if people are still having beers in the garden (that is just a few steps from the doors)
- you can't even poop in peace, the toilets have messed up doors that open to the shared space
- people were sleeping in some parts of the shared space (TV room) if you are sleepless, then just stay in your bed and wait for the morning
- showers are great, nice and warm..... but since the doors don't close properly and open to the garden you'll be freezing before drying up.
- you are part of a community: you can hear people talk through the entire hotel, you can hear them play ping pong, you sleep when other decide they drunk enough, and you wake up when the earliest wake up. Then it depends on the luck, the last night I was there there was 90% of germans being so noisy up to midnight, then from 5 am, thanks for the night !
- if you go out at night you must be ok to disturb a poor 50 something lady who must behave as security agent after already long days.
- the "private" rooms are ridiculous, it's more storage rooms between dorms, no bathroom and NO WINDOW, harry potter style
- Breakfast is between 8 and 11, but it doesn't mean you can take it during that time, it means that during that time, you'll get a breakfast (fried egg, bread, tiny fruit juice) but don't count on it if you wish to leave at a precise time

All together this is the worst hostel I seen in Colombia, I took time to visit 5-6 hotels in the neighborhood, all of them in the same price range, all of them were offering so much more services and comfort and privacy.

Stay away from this junk, I feel a bit bad to give such a bad review because all the staff was really sweet and lovely, but you can't solve everything with a smile and a "que tal mi amor"

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room in this hostel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jujudellago
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Good little hostel in bogota, loved the outdoor garden area and the bar was cosy as well. Also had a tv/video room and kitchen for guests to use which was handy. Rooms were fine, I think we were in a 6 bed dorm and didn't have any complaints. Staff were helpful if you could speak Spanish, lucky we were travelling with someone that spoke it! The other Sue hotel is only a short walk away and was pretty wild when we were there. Was a nice walk from the hostel to the teleferico (definitely recommend) and also close to transport and the street markets.

• Stayed: May 2013