“Great week in Bogota”

Hotel Cabrera Imperial
Ranked #94 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Whether you're staying in Bogota for business or pleasure, this hotel is a great choice. It's centrally located, new, well equipped, reasonably priced, and the staff are helpful -- a winner choice all around. I spent a week in Bogota for work and added on a few extra days for fun. My room was absolutely excellent: spacious, quiet (only five rooms per floor), clean, had a kitchen area with a refrigerator, a large bathroom, a full minibar, great lighting, flat screen TV, couches, a massage chair, a desk, crisp linens and pillows, and my own wifi connection, which meant I had an excellent internet connection when I needed it. The conference rooms were great (also with free wifi). Breakfast was delicious, with friendly and attentive waitstaff, and the lobby and concierge were equally helpful and nice. The hotel has a small gym/spa on the top floor with a great view of the city. Despite being small, the gym had a few basic machines and the space needed to get a good stretch and the blood flowing (if you can adapt to the altitude of that city). I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Thomas A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabrera Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you very much, we look forward to serving you in the close future again, or take special care of the person who is recommended by you. Thank you

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I do not speak or understand one word of Spanish even though I was born in Colombia. And yet! The staff so amazing to me. They let me stumble through my embarrassingly bad Spanish phrasebook phrases, they spoke English to me, they gave me great recommendations on where to eat and where to visit, and they always, always did everything with a smile.

Like everyone else mentioned, the location is terrific (the President of Colombia actually lives a few blocks away, so you know the area is super safe). I can't speak to the restaurant in the hotel because the place is surrounded by restaurants!! I ate (and drank, and danced) elsewhere every night of my stay, and easily walked back to the hotel without a problem.

The a/c and the heater worked, the room was gorgeous, everything was impeccably clean, I could not have asked for more. Truly. I am so grateful to the kind staff, especially the hilariously charming security people who offered me umbrellas, found me taxis, opened doors for me unnecessarily. This is a great place. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

We loved to have you with us in the hotel, all the staff is ready to have you back with us again and have the opportunity to surprise you.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

DON’T STAY HERE!

When is the last time you got a call in the middle of the night from the front desk asking who you were?

This hotel is not up to par on a number of different items. Frankly I would never stay here again and do not recommend anyone else to waste their money.

1. The internet Wifi is very spotty and often doesn’t work at all, in spite of various resets of the system by the staff. Confirmed in multiple rooms and in the lobby itself.
2. Air conditioners in multiple rooms did not work properly.
3. They use Varsol (a paint thinner) to clean the hallways. It’s a horrible smell.
4. I received an undesirable call in the middle of the night asking who I was. They have no clue what is going on in their own hotel. Then after I heard them saying they didn’t know who was in my room, they lied about it saying the “lines got crossed”.
5. The staff didn’t know how to set up the steam room, making it basically unusable.
6. Halfway through my stay, my key stopped working. Never had that happen before.
7. I asked to speak with the manager, who was “unavailable” for the remainder of the day. Not surprisingly she never contacted me in spite of repeated requests.
8. Not once did I receive an apology for any of the above items. They basically don’t care.

Particularly the internet is a huge issue, but these are all pretty much deal-breakers for me but to have them all occur during one 4 day stay is completely unacceptable.

Here is an example of how things go here. The air conditioners do not work in any of the rooms. The thermostat only goes down to 18 degrees Celcius, which might be acceptable, but they never actually make it to that temperature. I know this because it was warmer than 18 outside and when I opened the windows it was a cool breeze coming in. Also the machine never shuts off. So its going the whole time blowing warm air basically.

I asked for someone to come fix it. They sent someone from maintenance who really didn’t know anything about it, and he assured me he would come back later assumingly with someone who did. Hours later, I went downstairs and no one from the desk even know what was going on (recurring theme). By this time it was evening, so they didn’t have anyone else who could look at it, and they offered me to change rooms. Same problem in next room and no one could really fix it ever.

Overall, not worth the money. I stayed at another hotel a few blocks away (Hotel Charelston) earlier in my stay and they were much much better. Good internet, great service, functioning air conditioners. Stay there instead.

Room Tip: Internet is spotty everywhere. None of the air conditioners work well. Good luck.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim M
Thomas A, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Cabrera Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear guest, today we wish to answer your complaint. We deeply regret the difficulties in your experience for which, there is no excuse. We beg you to forgive us for what happened, I can guarantee that we have solved each of the processes involved.
If appropriate, we are willing to offer that we try and ensure that we have improved for you.

Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip. The rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated. The small built-in kitchen is really handy during long stays. The location cant be better in Bogota. The only downside is the restaurant/bar. Service is a little slow, but attentive and the food is okay if you are starving and not in the mood to look for something else. My steak was overcooked and my chocolate cake was burned. I would stay there again, but avoid the restaurant.

1  Thank Gladys B
Thomas A, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabrera Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Hope to have you back again soon, always ready to listen what else we can do to make your permanence with us, the best.

Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

The Cabrera Imperial was a somewhat small, but beautiful hotel. The room was very well equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, and stove. The room was quit and the area around the Cabrera was not as loud and busy as many other areas. There are great restaurants within walking distance, and although you should always use caution here, I never felt threatened.
The staff was friendly, but the bar/restaurant workers were slow and not very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank herkload

Thank you.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We just spent two weeks working in Bogota, and could not have chosen a better hotel. The Cabrera Imperial is a small, boutique hotel, each room is really a mini-suite with a workable kitchen. A well-stocked grocery store is on the next block. When you're in a hotel for two weeks, no matter how nice, it's good to be able to prepare a few of your own meals, and we did just that. The staff is excellent, very focused on customer service, from the security guards to the concierge to the maids. Good, helpful service. The rooms were clean and quiet. We did not hear other guests. The shopping mall nearby was handy, and there were a multitude of restaurants from which to choose. The hotel's breakfast offered fresh fruit, meats, eggs to order, yogurt and breads. We would definitely choose the Cabrera Imperial again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SoFudie

Thank you, we take a lot of time to design these property so you could perceive what you mention in your rearview. You make us happy.... thank you

Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is a small, suites style hotel with nice sized rooms, great location and excellent staff. Near a major shopping mall and over 25 restaurants this is a great place to stay. It's about 30 minutes to the airport and about 30 minutes to old town Bogota. There's also a well stocked grocery store of the next block.

Room Tip: The corner room that I had overlooked a nice park and had a view of the close by mountains.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business