“DON'T STAY HERE!! - SCAM, SHAM OPERATION”

Aloft Bogota Airport
Ranked #38 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The staff is absolutely dreadful. The place is the worst in terms of service. check in's take FOREVER, the SHUTTLE runs every hour at best- The hotel may be new, and nice. but that only goes so far when the staff is HORRIBLE. NEGATIVE SPG recognition, Not ZERO.. NEGATIVE- as I have been fighting endlessly with the GM of the hotel over getting my points credited and she refuses, no upgrade. NOTHING- as a platinum member with Starwood I would rather sleep in the street then frequent this hotel again. I have never been treated with such disrespect, and I will go out of my way to make sure that no one I know stays here.

Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ryan212
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Regarding your comment about the shuttle, I would like to clarify that it runs every 45 minutes, and goes to the national and international airport. Unfortunately due to the traffic we cannot guarantee less time.

I am really sorry we were not able to attend your request about the SPG points, the SPG policy is very clear and at the hotel level we are not authorized to credit points when the guest did not stay.

I also would l like to mention that the ALOFT hotel has only one type of room, reason why our guests SPG Plantinum or Gold do not receive an upgrade. The benefits options at Aloft are: SPG points, welcome gift, hot beverage or breakfast, depending the SPG status.

Please contact me if you need extra help, and I would be happy to help.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January 2014. I was assigned room 308, which overlooks a 5-story construction site, and also overlooks the driveway of the hotel. My room was also next to an "equipment room" as marked on the door next to mine. I am a member of Starwood Preferred Guest, and the gold members are supposed to receive an upgraded room when available. This wasn't even an average room, much less an upgrade. The hotel didn't seem that busy, so why did I get such a room (these are normally reserved for Priceline customers).

There were many things I liked about this hotel. I like the modern, minimalist design and I wish more hotels had this type of decor. I've stayed in Aloft Hotels in the USA, so I knew what to expect as far as the atmosphere. This hotel is only a few months old, so physically it's in good condition.

Two big things ruined the entire experience for me. First of all, as another reviewer has noted, the airport shuttle only runs every 45 minutes. I decided to take the 645am shuttle, so I got there at 640am. There was an empty shuttle bus with doors open and no driver. After waiting for ten minutes, I went to the front desk and asked when the 645 shuttle was going to leave. He said "well, one of them left already so it will be another ten minutes". So I waited until 700am and still no shuttle. There was another hotel guest that didn't want to wait any longer to go to the airport, so we ended up sharing a taxi. When you have a printed schedule saying the shuttle is going to leave at 645am, it should leave at 645am, especially when the next one isn't scheuled to leave for another 45 minutes. Hotel guests needing to take a flight don't need this aggravation first thing in the morning.

When I checked into the hotel, I reminded the girl who checked me in that as a foreigner, I shouldn't be charged the tax. She seemed to be new, as others had to help her with the check-in process, but she took the photocopy of my passport and said she would consult with the manager afterward.

Since I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, they have my credit card on file so I don't have to wait in line at the front desk to do the normal checkout; they just charge my credit card. A few days after I checked out, the hotel sent me an e-mail asking for my permission to charge my account for an amount that was more than I expected. I told them that I should only be charged for the room rate I agreed to pay. They never responded to my e-mail and simply charged the amount they wanted. They have ignored e-mails I have sent them after I noticed the incorrect amount on my account. I can only imagine they charged me the tax, as I had no other expenses while I was at the hotel. No other hotel in Colombia charged me a room tax, since I am a foreigner.

I had to initiate a chargeback with my credit card to recoup the extra amount they charged me.

A message to the local management team: maybe some people will put up with this poor service, but with more and more international visitors that are coming to Colombia, this service isn't adequate or acceptable.

In my opinion, the management team at this Aloft hotel is not prepared to operate this hotel with international standards in mind. Many of their responses to reviews have been just a cut & paste of the same thing. They are not doing anything sincere to correct the problems... they just say "sorry" and that's it. I would not stay here again, and would not recommend it to other travelers.

Room Tip: A room that doesn't face the front would be better
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank maynard7
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Mr. Maynard7,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your most recent stay, our guest feedback is very important to us.

Regarding your comments about the front office and shuttle service, I would like to apologize and I am already working with the team with customer service trainings, in order to give our guests a better experience. Our goal is to offer our guests a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish, and we are truly sorry that did not carry out this promise.

The shuttle service runs every 45 minutes due to local traffic, we cannot guarantee less time, even the hotel is very close from the airport.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you at our hotel.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Left waiting at the airport for over an hour and a half for the shuttle bus at 1am in the morning on my way into Colombia and then again at 12:30pm a week later on my way out. Even after three phone calls telling me it would be 10 minutes.

Front desk staff are not helpful and while not exactly rude certainly not warm and welcoming.

The saving grace for the hotel are the quality of the rooms and the lounge area where you can wait for the shuttle to take you to the airport, or for your room to be ready if you arrive before 3pm.

Will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Yogi1806

Dear Guest Yogi1806,

Thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention.

I really would like to apologize about the front office service, we are already taking actions in order to improve this customer service experience.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you at Aloft Bogota Airport.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Have stayed at the Aloft 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months. Clean and modern building and rooms.

Friendly staff and free shuttle to and from the airport 2 or 3 miles away.

Good place for an overnight stay and a quick meeting if your transiting.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in were the same.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Mr. Mark,

Also thank you for such flattering comments, as these are a lot of motivation for all our talents and we continue to offer excellent service.

We were very aware of your next visit to this hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel. The large bedroom had a huge comfortable bed with quality bed linen, large flat screen tv, ironing board, coffee maker free bottled water and a very nice bathroom with good quality products and large fluffy white towels. In fact the room was so nice we never left it. This is the sort of room you want to take your shoes off to walk on the carpet, unlike the place we stayed in the night before. Its 5 minutes to the airport though the drive from the airport is longer due to the one way systems. Some confusion by the receptionist as to where the pick up point was at the airport, but that was resolved by my asking when we arrived. The reception staff were pleasant and spoke good english. The bar and breakfast area looked nice though as we didnt use either not sure of the quality. The bus to the airport leaves every 45 minutes, so add on 5 minutes or so for the pick up. As this is an airport hotel we only stayed one night, but had this been in the centre we would definitely have stayed here longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your most recent stay. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention.

Also thank you for such flattering comments, as these are a lot of motivation for all our talents and help us continue to provide excellent service.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I'm a SPG member, so I decided to stay at the Aloft. My flight arrived late in the evening and rather then trying to get into Bogota, I used the shuttle to the hotel.I used point and dollars so it was a good value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Mr. JackFox,

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at this hotel between flights. It was easy to get to the hotel with the free shuttle service. The hotel building looks very nice and modern and the hotel feels very new and fresh. Room was large with two big beds. Very nice shower with good products to use. Breakfast was a bit disappointing though. Nothing special. But overall it's a nice hotel very near the airport. Took only a few minutes with the shuttle.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Marilia P, General Manager at Aloft Bogota Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Mr. Swedishtravellers,