“Most Security Ever Seen In Any Hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Tequendama

Hotel Tequendama
Ranked #210 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Miami, Florida
“Most Security Ever Seen In Any Hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Service is good in general. Room service needs to be improved regarding how long they take.
Breakfast food and services in the cafeteria are both excellent. Lunch and dinner food was very good but a bit pricey. Service was excellent.

Hotel taxi service is good, clean and safe. Make sure you ask how much for the trip before boarding the taxi. Once I was charged $20,000.00 COP for a trip and the next day, the same taxi driver and to the same location in a shorter drive time, charged me $26,000.00 COP

Oscar

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Mr. opalmajr:

Receive a cordial greeting in the name of Crowne Plaza Tequendama Hotel and in my own name.
Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services. We regret the problems that you had with taxi service and the room service. We assure you that we will verify the facts. We are pleased that you had an excellent stay and also that you uncovered this hotel comfortable and pleasant.

We look forward to your next visit to offer you an excellent service.

Yours Sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This was my first time in Bogota, but my wife has stayed in the Tequendama several times before on business. She was disappointed in what we found this time. For a start the place was in the middle of extensive road works, and surrounded by several layers of security checks. Whether Bogota is still so dangerous that they needed them, I've no idea, it looked mostly like security theatre to me.

The room was basically ok, but totally without a folder of useful information, e.g. on restaurant hours, check-out time, etc but festooned with those little triangular cards advertising expensive videos, telling you how to make expensive phone calls, etc. Wifi was free. There was a coffee machine in the room but neither coffee nor tea supplies! Our room rate qualified us for free continental breakfast on the 17th floor, which was perfectly adequate for a hot climate.

We ate dinner once in the hotel's own restaurant El Virrey, which is a surprisingly long treck along the walkways of the shopping centre - this was fairly good and not too expensive. The second night we ventured across the road works to a restaurant (which my wife remembered) the Casa Viejo next to the San Diego church. This was very good, but had hardly any customers (but they were almost isolated by the road works all around).

We had a major confrontation when checking out when they wanted to charge a lot more than the rate quoted when we booked online on the hotel's own website. Since the quotation was in US dollars and excluded taxes, and their charges were in Pesos including taxes, it took some careful checking to detect this increase. Eventually, after about 20 minutes, they accepted the rate we had been quoted (and for which we had printed evidence). They also charge a hefty security fee, of which there is no prior warning. This is not the customer treatment that one expects from the Crowne Plaza chain.

My wife made an emailed complaint and got an acknowlegement, but so far it doesn't seem the hotel can be bothered to compose an actual reply. If you stay here, check your bill extremely carefully.

Room Tip: Higher floors get less traffic noise and probably better views of the city.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MariamFLT, Community Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Mr. astronomer-at-large:

Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services.

We really regret the inconveniences during your stay in the hotel. Fortunately the works that there were around the hotel have been finished, which you can access easily to our hotel. Regarding the problem that you had in check-out, we inform you that our taxes published in the web sites don’t include duties or hotel insurance. At the same time, we will check what happened and we look forward to your next visit in order to assist you with pleasure.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

On October 20 2011 I spent one nite at Royal Crown Plaza with a huge group of people for international conference For the Love of God Worldwide, that nite around 8 p.m. at Vienes Restauran for dinner (this restaurant belongs to Royal Crown-Tequendama), one of waiters spills over my swede jacket a liquor I gave a complaint to the captain of waiters José Martinez and he sent my jacket to the laundry, twenty minutes later he returns jacket, but it was worse damaged I told him that I could do not accept it and they have pay for it, I talk with the manager Carlos Lamilla, who was not very nice and I have to wait more than 30 minutes that he attended to my call, anyway he told me if I would like write a complain I did, when I return from Villa de Leyva 3 days later, jacket was send to another laundry,it was all damage, I asked to them pay for it US$260.oo he told me that they will ask to the Insurance Co. Any way it happen four months ago I am at United States again I call them very many times and still waiting the Hotel reimburse me for it and they didin't. Hotel does not have to give better treatment to guest to have a better image? what can I do to have the reimburse?
Lucia Vergara Aguirre

Room Tip: I do not go back never again and I do not recommend anybody.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bogota hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed 1 nite here courtesy of Avianca when the weather screwed up our flight to Buca and they closed the airport. No english speaking staff ... so average service, alarm clock didnt work, wifi was intermittent, room was dated and tired, though clean.
Shower was nice, bed comfortable, great enough for a 5 hour nap when youre not paying for it .... but i think if i was to stay in Bogota again, and pay for it, i wouldnt choose this one... right in the middle of a building site in an urban jungle... seemed very corprate and soul-less - but then i suppose i cant expect too much more than that from the IntercontinentalHG!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services.

We regret the inconveniences that you had during your stay, at present our staff are in training on English competences and skills which allow us offer an excellence service. Fortunately the works around the hotel were completed, so you can access easily to our hotel.

We look forward to assist you again with pleasure.

Bochum
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 night with points from PriorityClub. Although the stay was covered by points they charged a security fee (hotel stuff mentioned it is only 7 USD so I should not complain as it is not a lot of money for me).

Check-in
Efficient, internet is free of charge but a bit slow. You will get a code.

Room
No AC. Hotel style is from the 70s or 80s,pretty worn and not fancy at all. It reminds me of some old hotels in the US. Currently there is roadwork outside so a bit noisy when you open the windows. Bathroom was OK but shower a pain as the water is reduced by a spacer to safe costs for the hotel. Taking a bath was nice but taking a shower disappointing.
House keeping performance: Top!

Security standard is very high. Only 1 entrance was openend. The hotel is very dark, no ambience at all. I did not feel comfortable.

The area is nice during the day, in walking distance you will find the famous Gold museum and other heritage places.

Will I stay there again? No

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank tkwetina
Let me thank you for giving us your very valid remarks in our services.

We really regret the inconveniences during your stay in the hotel. Fortunately the works around the hotel were completed, so this reduces noise in our facilities. We are pleasured to know you felt safe here; we have improved our quality standards so we look forward to assist you again to offer you a best service.

Canton of Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

When the hotel and conference center was built around 50 years ago, it must have been THE place in Bogota. Despite its central location, and friendly staff, there are by now many more modern alternatives you can choose from, and I will, the next time I, ll be around.

Nothing particularly wrong with it. In fact the rooms are quite nice, albeit a bit small for today's top hotel standards - if you like being taken a bit back in time.

This is quite ahuge complex and you need to walk a bit to get to the breakfast restaurant, where food, and also the coffe, were not particularly spectactular.

The hotel bar was dead in the evening, with only a collegue and I enjoyig a beer in the English pub-club like surroundings.
In short: if this is the place your conference takes you to, ok. If you have a choice, I'd recommend another place.
Windows have not been modernised since the 60s it seems.

Ps. The card lock to my room was broken and fortunately there was another room I could move to after having checked in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WiP
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Hotel Tequendama, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear WiP,

Thank you so much for your review. Im so glad to hear that you like our location and our staff was friendly. Im sure you will be happy to know that we have a big renovation planed for the near future.
I invite you to come back when this is complete to see our new facilities and rooms.

Thanks
Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Baton Rouge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed at the hotel in early December 2011. I am a Priority Club member. The first night, I was in a smaller room, very clean except for the carpet which had lots of stains. I requested another room for the next 2 nights, and had a much larger room with a view.

Very nice breakfast area on the top floor, which is compementary for Priority Club members.

There is also a great deal of highway work in this area, and while I had ear plugs, some others in our party had trouble due to jack hammers, etc throughout the day. Access to the hotel is limited and it is some distance from the airport. There is no airport shuttle, but the concierge can arrange taxis, etc.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business