“excellent hotel for a very low rate”

Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota
Ranked #26 of 268 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I have to travel extensively around the world for my job and this is one of the hotels where I feel more comfortable and it is just for their hospitality. I think that for what the hotel offers the value you pay is very low. they have several meeting rooms, the restaurant where food is really good and a nice bar. The grounds are immaculate, very clean. i really enjoyed my stay there and I recommend it with confidence.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
danncarltonbog, Director Comercial at Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear Guest...

Pleased to assist you, the team of the Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota appreciates your comments.
It is an honor for the Hotel have guests as you, because your nice comments are very important to us because these encourages us to continue improving day by day for being excellent.
We hope the Dann Carlton Bogota Hotel continues being your home when you visit the city of Bogota to corresponding your confidence and expectations.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

The service at this hotel is seriously bad. It seems that the employees have no training in hospitality management. I've been to 32 countries and countless hotels. This is the only hotel that has oppressive restrictions and rules. They do not allow any visitors period in the hotel after 6pm. So, if you're meeting friends, which I was, they cannot be in the hotel after 6pm. Weird policy. Also, if you're staying alone, you get one towel in the bathroom. The rooms are ok. The furniture is dated and needs to be replaced. The bathroom was very clean. Bottom line, it's a cheap, clean (mostly) place to stay, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MGE5R
danncarltonbog, Community Manager at Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear Customer,

We regret the inconvenience for the attention of our staff, which already were trained in customer service and attention.

In terms of visits, our politics are very clear, because our priority is the security of our guests. Which does not allow the entry of visitors from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am in the rooms, but guests have the option of meeting in our Business Center and Lobby Bar.

Regarding the rooms we are improving furniture, which will make your stay a pleasant place.

We hope that what happened does not affect the image that you keep and give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Overall it is a good hotel, but if you look in detail you can notice some spots that need maintenance. And also, the breakfast is really basic for this kind of hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
danncarltonbog, Community Manager at Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear Guest,
Good afternoon, On behalf of all the team of the Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here 3 nights during a 2 day training. It isn't a bad hotel of which I would say "do not stay here", it's just that bit below average to say "you can probably do better". It is more a conference facility with hotelrooms, than hotel with conference facilities, I you catch my drift..

Reception staff were very process oriented, did not make you feel welcome
Waiter at loungebar took forever to bring 2 beers (but could serve the locals at quicker pace)
Rooms are spacious but no bedlamp and difficult to acces light switch. Beds quite hard. Wifi asked password everytime you hook up to internet, annoying.
Restaurant focussed on large (conference) groups but touch & feel of the place is not very attractive.

Gym is good with 4 treadmills and loads of weights. Spa looks good (but did not use it)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank djcbi
danncarltonbog, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Best regards and thanks for your valuable comments, which will be considered for our continuous improvement. We will continue to work on your next visit to the hotel and our services consistent to your expectations ....

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Despite some of the previous reviews a colleague and I stayed for one night at the Dann Carlton, Bogotá. There was some confusion at check-in which was entirely our fault and the desk staff was courteous and professional making the changes required. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. We did not eat in the hotel or use the bar. Overall, the hotel was a comfortable reasonable business hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Coughton54

Dear Guest,

Good afternoon, On behalf of all the team of the Hotel Dann Carlton Bogota.
We welcome your comments and expect to serve once again to ensure quality service and continuous product renewal.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Rating is really 2.5 stars

Check-in Process – Arrive at 11:15 which granted, is ahead of the official check in time of 3 pm. Tatiana (front desk) gives me a room key, but tells me room will take 1 hour to get ready. While this is a bit disappointing after a long morning of travel, I certainly understand. Take a walk and eat lunch. Arrive back around 1:15 and find out room is not ready. Angel (front desk) tells me that “You can have another room on a lower floor, or you can wait. It will take 10 minutes.” OK, every organization has some problems and the Dann Carlton seems to have more than its share today. Given the traffic in the area and that the windows in these hotels are typically open I am worried about street noise and opt to wait for my original room on a higher floor. I go look at the gym come back down and wait…and wait…and wait. After 30 minutes I ask Angel again if the room is ready. His answer is somewhat convincing “No sir. I’m sorry, but when you checked in there were other people ahead of you but now you are at the front of the list. We take the cleaning of our rooms between guests very seriously and disinfect everything.” Wow…ok…ummm…why didn’t Tatiana tell me at 11:15 that I’m behind other people and that the hotel does such a good job cleaning the rooms that they can’t manage to a schedule. So I wait…and decide that maybe the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is (or in this case is not) doing. I go up to the room (remember they gave me the key 3 hours ago) and notice that the door is closed. I open it and the room is a mess and nobody is working on it. “10 minutes” : ) Yeah right. The organization resembles a circus (a bad one, not Ringling Bros.). I let my dis-satisfaction be known to both Tatiana (who is back) and to Angel. Since I’ve pre-paid for my booking and am very tired I ask if another room is available - and there is. So I settle for a noisier room.
Staff – Enough English spoken by front desk. Front desk will make your life miserable if you listen to them. Just assume they don’t know anything and you might do better. The bellboy was pleasant and helpful. Cleaning staff – unclear, but they certainly don’t communicate with the front desk. One would think that the staff, (who were very clearly told that I am unhappy) would offer to do something to make up for the fact that they wasted 2 of my last 3 hours….one would think but that didn’t happen until the day after. I wrote a preview of this review and sent it to the hotel the same day. Next day I did get a fruit basket & an apology letter from the Director of Client Relations – Diana Marcela Munar that promised this will never happen again. This raised the rating by one star.
Location – Safe neighborhood, though there isn’t much in the immediate vicinity. There are some reasonable lunch options. You will have to take taxis and they will cost a fair bit (e.g., 10K to 14K COP) for rides into the center. Rides to the Zona Rosa and Parque 93 will be around 5K COP. Add about 50 to 75% if taking the hotel car, which the bellboy will try to steer you towards. If you’re willing to take a walk for 10-15 minutes, you can walk North to 115th & make a left. There are a few chain places there, El Corral Hamburgers, Archie’s Pizza and the Beer Station (or something like that).
Breakfast – average buffet with cereals, juices, fruit, breads & some hot dishes. Asked for egg whites & it was no problem. Average coffee & service.
Room – Nice, relatively bright if a bit dated. Fair size for a hotel room in central Bogota.
Technology - Small, Sony flat screen TV. Good, free WiFi.
Bathroom – Nice, warm water is generally available
Charges – upon checkout (by Leonardo?) there was an additional 7500 COP/day “insurance” charge that apparently wasn’t part of my Expedia booked rate. There was no mention of this anywhere when I booked it and I did not have anything of the sort at any of the other hotels I stayed in Colombia.
Gym – Very small, but better equipped than most hotel gyms I’ve experienced in Colombia. They have a resistance training station that can work chest, thighs, back, triceps & biceps. There are also dumbells that go up to 25 lbs. There are also a few pieces of cardio equipment.
Overall – I wish I had gone back to the Alma Hotel as it is cheaper, in a better location and has a more helpful staff. Dann Carlton is living on past accomplishments and management/staff have no idea what the quality bar is that they should be striving for. There is a reason it was rated as #44/ 143 on TA when I booked it. I’d say for seventy dollars per night it would be a good value, but unfortunately I paid way more than that.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank teekhe
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I'm doing businesses in Colombia for more then 4 Years. Actualy I love Colombia, for it's Friendly People, Music, and Landscape among others. I recently checked in at the Dann Carlton Bogota on 15 Av. 103 - 60 two nights before flying back to Switzerland. What happened to me in this Hotel shocked me and reminded me that the mentality of segragation are still aware in certain social classes in Bogota. I felt deeply irritated by the way my personal assistent (she has an indigenous look) and friend was treated by the reception inspite the fact that my friend had the nescessary documents to register at the hotel. On the first night she did not have her documents with her as they where stolen a few weeks ago. I do have certains understandings that they did not let her in. But in the morning she when to the Notary to get an oficial copy of her cedula (identity card - where it is explicitly mentoined that this card is valid for identification). So after spending money for Taxis and Notary costs we where trying to register again at the Hotel. We where asked to wait (I waited for 30 minutes) to get the unsatisfied answer that they can not let her in because the copy was issued at the same day. By asking for explenation for refusal of re-entry the answers where diffused and not clear. The only thing i understand was hotel policy and security reasons. There was no pitty nor apologize from the hotel even so i ofered all the securities from my side. Fact is that i'm sitting now in a cafe shop working with my assistent there as i realy lost my apetited to even sit in the lobby of a hotel where i was treated without a minimum of respect. What a shame and bad business card for Bogota and Colombia......obviously there is still a long way to overcome ditches.........HIGHLY NOT RECOMENDED for decent people....

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business