“Can be a good stay with the right room”

Hotel Estelar Windsor House
Ranked #71 of 269 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Quick summary: safe location. This was a good stay, but the first room I was shown was not good - maybe the last of the unrenovated rooms? I was given another room that was much better. The point: ask for something else if you are not happy.

The hotel was chosen by local colleagues for quality, safety, and location to the corporate offices. The area and hotel feel safe, and there are neaby restaurants and shops worth visiting.

My first room (#511) must have been one of the last to be renovated and seemed to have no ventilation (A/C or heat, but can't be sure.) When I mentioned it, I was moved to a much nicer room (#520) in terms of feeling fresh, upgraded plumbing, feeling safe opening a window, etc. Both were the standard rooms, I think, i.e. not suites.

These rooms each had king beds with nice quality sheets and bath linens, and felt spacious. Good closet and drawer storage, good work desk. Everythig worked well, i.e. wifi, TV, etc. All the usual amenities of a good business class hotel: in-room safe, free wifi, nice toiletries.

Very good housekeeping. Freindly, professional staff throughout.

The restaurant was quite good. The breakfast buffet was a nice spread of pastries, fruits, juices, cereals, good omlette guy making fresh egg dishes, etc. There was some very good talent in the kitchen at dinner, with a range of items to please most tastes. Well-priced wine list. The lounges could serve a good drink.

The hotel is in a nice area, so we often walked to a nearby restaurant, but the hotel's restaurant does a good job when you've had a long day and don't feel up to exploring.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mme_X

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I spent four nights at this hotel. The area is very nice and I felt very safe there. The room was spacious. It was quite nice but a little tired. The carpeting in the bedroom was a little old and tired. The bed was *very* hard, as another poster noted. Otherwise, the room was quite nice. Service was very good. The breakfast that came with the room was large - including a full range of breads, juices, really fantastic fresh fruit, waffles, eggs, cold-cuts, etc. The WiFi didn't work well in my room, leaving me to do a lot of internet activities in the lobby (where it worked well). Other than the wifi issue, I had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sue_and_Waldo
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I stayed here during a business trip, and I was given a suite/apartment. On the first floor, I had a bathroom, living room, dinning table, and full size refrigerator, which were great. On the second, I had a nice, big room, closet, and a great bathroom. The only problem were the stairs, as they were spiral shape y very narrow. Fortunately I had a mid size luggage, so getting up and down stairs was not terrible, but a bit challening. This room is not made for people bringing big bags, with health issues, overweight, or with kids ... Hotel in general was well kept, clean, bright, but architectural bridges were different. It gave me the feeling of emergency metal stairs, that connected sections of the hotel. They were hard to roll bags over, and I could see people steeping careful as if they were going to fall down. They were wells secured, but gave that feeling ... Food was excelent, great location, staff super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The apartment concept was good and different, but make sure you do not have big bags, health issues...
1  Thank sooner_orchid
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The hotel is located 35 minutes from the El Dorado Airport, and only 5 min to one of the best commercial areas in the city. The neighborhood is very high end, and the security in that area is truly remarkable. Many dining options just minutes away, and the cost of taxis is very cheap. One way trip from Hotel to Airport is around USD 12.

Rooms are quite big for the hotels size, there's parking free of charge, and the breakfast (included) is one of the best I tried for free. Service is exceptional!

The only con that I found is the low quality on the mattresses, they lack softness and is almost like sleeping on a chinese bed (asian travelers will understand).

Rates usually goes from the 100-150 USD per night all taxes included. I will consider this hotel again if I travel to Bogota.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank jnaviation
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I guess when everyone talks about Colombia the first thing that comes to your mind is safety. Well, his hotel is located in a very safe area of Bogota, very quiet and close to main 100 street business area and 93 park nightlife places. Spent three nights at this hotel and must say that classic traditional decoration and ambience makes the environment quite warm and familiar, rooms are spacious and also decorated with traditional/classic style where dark brown is predominant. Only one major downside of the rooms is that walls are so thin that you can perceive every single, even minimum, noises from next door's room. Also there is a sealed glass window right next to main room's entrance door only coverable by a curtain which makes you feel like observed and privacy invaded by people on the corridor.... something like being in a zoo feeling.... but you are the one on the other side of the glass! I felt like that, anyway.... for the rest, staff is very kind and well educated, like everyone in this fresh and pretty conservative city. Breakfast is disappointing, very poor options and when you ask for coffee, need to do it at least three times...... experience is only saved by the good taste of real Colombian coffee. Good for families I guess. However I will not come back there for the privacy issue and also noisy rooms experience caused by thin walls......

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Hotel in a great location, felt very secure. Staff very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was quite good, varied selection...in room dining not bad either however not first option given several choices. Still able to get around, taxis are readily accessible and available. Definitely my choice for next visit....Rooms clean,spacious and extremely comfortable.

1  Thank MD41Portofspain
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This was my first Hotel upon arrival in Colombia for a 20 day trip. I booked all of my accommodations though Expedia ahead of time. This was the ONLY Hotel that charged me an extra “mandatory insurance fee” upon check out (about $20 a day). It sounded like BS at the time, and I tried to argue it; but they would not relent, and since it was my first hotel I wasn’t sure. I am just glad I only stayed there 2 days. Other than getting the shaft at check out, it was a decent hotel, and had a good breakfast. I would have given it a strong 3+ before the billing issue. My last night in Colombia, I stayed at the AR Hotel Salitre, it was about the same price, but a truly 5 star hotel and experience! I would highly reccomend the AR.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family