“Theft in Hotel”

Ranked #248 of 265 Hotels in Bogota
Vaduz
“Theft in Hotel”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I found this place through the lonely planet.This hotel is on a good location in old town of
Bogota,steps away from action and historic sites. I stayed here end of october 2012. I didn't mind
about small room,because most of the time I'm on the run and spend the majority outside the hotel anyway. The room looked clean,the breakfast was included, but not so good,in my opinion.
The reason,why I can not recommend this place: Staff broke into my locked room and stole
part of my cash. There are some good staff members,who are let down by one or two bad guys.
They work on a very insidious way, in my case on the day of my departure to the airport. Every-
thing had to go quick for them.I learned out from my damage,but also too bad for the hotels
reputation. I assume, this place has big turn overs,resulting out of this crimes...
I never will store money in the hotel room anymore, even the room is locked.
I can not stand thieves, they can be anywhere; in this case right by the arrival of the hotels
reception....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Herb A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Great breakfast included! Fritos eggs are better than revuelting. The rooms are small, but clean and safe. Desk staff is nice and they will store your bags all day after checkout, in a locked closet. No matter where you're facing, your room will be noisy, so just bring earplugs. TV channels are fun, fun, fun. Wonderful location, just 2 blocks from Botero, Gold, Transmilenio. On the same block are various fried ball storefronts, a day tour agency. Some bars are around the corner. Fine place!

Room Tip: Higher floor is quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Stayed here in May as part of a G-Adventures tour of Colombia. The hotel is small and quite clostraphobic, I thought. The rooms are very small and dated, and once you have put your cases on the floor, there's not a lot of room to walk around, as there's only about two feet around the beds. The beds aren't particularly comfortable and are quite hard, but we still managed to sleep (after 30hrs travel mind you). The WC is tiny and crammed in. The shower is poor and there is only limited warm water.

The breakfast was actually quite surprising. The Colombian standard: fresh fruit/ juice, eggs any style, croissant and marmalade, fresh coffee.

It's set in the middle of La Candeleria, which is good. Not so good is that it is right across from the University (about 3metres away), which is not so good as its always busy with students and vendors outside. There's also a salsa club next door which pumped latin music 'til the early hours.....quite a nice feel for the first hour, then we just wanted it to stop.

It's possible to walk to the heart of Bogota from here, and a 5 minute walk will take you to the bus stop where the relevent buses leave.

The young staff work long hours and this does not impact on their friendly manner. They were helpful, providing maps and telling us where the local sights were.

I have ranked this hotel as poor. It probably deserves slightly more than this....it's just that the price seems quite steep for what you actually get.

Room Tip: I would think they are all the same.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ElCartoharvetta

Travellers are raving about these Bogota hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location and is safe. Otherwise there would be no reason to stay there as the rooms are small and some of them don't have outside facing windows and therefore smell bad (humidity?). Also as these rooms are facing inside there is a lot of noise coming from the reception. I stayed in 3 different rooms in this hotel and non of them was outside facing which is my bad luck I guess.

On the positive side it is walking distance to all the major sites and has a nice breakfast although other reviewers gave me the impression that the breakfast is poor.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a window facing the outside so you get some fresh air.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Tolga_O
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This place was nice enough. Very small rooms and extremely small bathroom. The staff were nice...until I checked out and was settling my bill. I accidentally withdrew too much money from the bank machine (we'll call it a stupidity tax on my part) and handed it over to the front desk clerk who helped me count it. It was right, except that I had withdrawn the amount with three too many zeros - ouch. The clerk accepted the funds without so much as indicating that I had given him hundreds of dollars (not pesos) too much. Very, very dissapointed at the lack of integrity. I followed up with the manager and of course have not been successful at resolving this very expensive mistake on my part.

The same clerk also quoted a very low rate to exchange my dollars for pesos. He knew full well what he was donig and so did I. Smart of him to take advantage of the tourist but really bad for the hotel's reputation. For this reason, I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank TwinSister6
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 24 October 2011

If a place to get a good night`s sleep yet no frills at all is what you are looking for, Hotel Ambalá is the place to go. Great location and really really sweet staff. They were so eager to please me and help me when I had trouble with a wrongly issued voucher. Many thanks again. I will never forget my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank roamingqueen
Tromsø
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The room I got is minuscule with a small window towards a shaft and the smallest bathroom I ever saw outside a ship. However, everything is there, it's clean and the staff is very helpful. Breakfast, although dubbed "desayuno americano", is average Colombian. You could do better, but you certainly also could do worse.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo