Hotel Ambala
US$56
US$136
US$119
  • Breakfast included
NH Bogota Metrotel Royal(Bogota)(Great Value!)
US$83
  • Restaurant
US$81
US$68
Agoda.com
NH Bogota Urban 26 Royal(Bogota)(Great Value!)
US$63
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Great location. Staff was great. Rooms perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2010

This hotel was a great find! Centrally located in the La Candelaria area, I was able to comfortably walk to many places. (Grab a map at the airport or at the tourist office opposite corner from the main cathedral in the Bolivar Plaza.) The Gold Museum was only a few blocks away from Ambala. The Transmilenio station is there for easy transportation to other parts of Bogota.
My only gripe with the hotel was that my room was small and in the center of the building. The only window I had opened up to the middle of the building and was only a few floors up from the kitchen. Early morning until late evening there were dishes and silverware clanging, conversations and singing, and food vapors/smoke that rose from below. (Looking out that window and toward the roof, it was an enclosed area where there was absolutely no air circulation.) With that said, earplugs are a must if you wish to sleep past 5 or 6AM or go to bed early at night.
Other than that, my single room (small) was clean and comfortable (bed, desk, etc.) The staff—all of them were wonderfully pleasant and very accommodating! From the email communication before my arrival to the moment of my check-out, I can’t say anything but positive things for their hospitality. You are treated very well here!
I left my valuables in one of the safe boxes which are located in the Administration room. There were a few times when the friendly manager wasn’t available to allow me access to my box though the most I waited was an hour for her return.
The included breakfast was simple though a decent morning snack of a small croissant with fresh papaya juice and hot chocolate. Get to the small restaurant early or the tables will be taken up by the local university students.
When I return to Bogota, I won’t hesitate to stay here! For approximately 35-40 USD per night, the location and hospitality are A++.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank funnychap24
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Hotel Ambala was our first stay upon arriving in Colombia. Having read in Lonely Planet that this was like a "capule hotel" we where very surprised that we hade two large beds and a normal size bathrooms. Ambala is situated in La Candelaria a lot of sights is just around the corner.

For the price you pay this its a cozy and friendly hotel. The staff dont talk spanish but with a little patience you can make yourself understood.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Veronica80
Reviewed 14 November 2009

We stayed at this hotel last july only bacause the taxi driver recommended it. We wanted to stay in "La Candelaria" area so we thought....ok lets go there.
Location: Very good. In the heart of the old part od the city. Walking distance to pretty much every single building and area of the old part of bogota.
Price: Decent. For what they offer.
Rooms: Clean but small. Just image a Queen bed with half a meter to each side of the bed. If you add bags... it gets tricky to walk around. We were un-lucky and our room was just above the kitchen. So we heard "every noise" from it.
Restaurant: It has a small restaurant. Very very cheap lunches and they are ok.
The hotel does not have a bar... so if you want to drink a beer you need to go to reception and ask for one of the very warm beers they have in the counter... Here is when the little fridge in the room becomes handy.
Will probably think 2 times if I wanted to stay in this hotel next time I visit Bogota....ok... 3 times..

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SouCross
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed one night in this hotel back in arch 2009. As it was our last night in Bogota, I got the best suite they had. The prices was about 200,000.00 COP. While the room was clean, it was very small for a suite. Many of the lamps had burnt out light bulbs and the television was on the fritz. The bed was good size but felt like sleeping on a concrete slab. The room did not have hot water either and I specifically asked if the room had hot water too. I was assured it did. There was some construction going on so we did not get to use the restaurant. The lobby of the hotel was beautiful and the staff was very polite and helpful. This hotel was only about a 10 minute cab ride to the El Dorado airport. Given that I had the best room the hotel offered and I felt like I was ripped off, I do not recommend this hotel. They did offer other rooms for around 60K to 100K COP

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple