“Basic but functional” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Platypus Hostel

Platypus Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bogota
Platypus Hostel
Ranked #114 of 229 Speciality Lodging in Bogota
London, United Kingdom
“Basic but functional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

A solid place to rest your head in Bogota, comprising a good location and strong security.

It would be difficult to be too effusive about this place but it's relatively clean and breakfast is provided (albeit the strawberry yogurt was rather sweet!).

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Whenever we visit Bogota, which is several times each year, we always stay at Platypus. Friendly, bilingual staff, clean and affordable accommodations, excellent location, and a nice array of accommodations...they have more to offer than the main (and original) hostel...just ask! Through the years, we have stayed at Platypus as backpacking youth, a tamer married couple, and now as a family with a young son. Platypus always welcomes us "home!"

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hotelosoperezoso
St Petersburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed in this place after having read many good reviews about this place. However, the hostel is quite dirty, the bed is sooooo hard it was impossible to sleep on. I found several cockroaches in the room, too. As a pro, the location is good in the very centre of the old town.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Igor E
Cartagena, Colombia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I spent five nights here a few weeks ago and had I not been ill and had the energy I would probably have moved hostels. The place wasn't horrific but it lacked any atmosphere. The staff were in general grumpy and unfriendly, and on the couple of occasions I asked for something i felt like I was intruding upon their tv/chat time. Wifi is available (when it feels like working) but the signal doesn't reach most of the rooms so if you want to use it you will probably end up needing to wrap up warm in the freezing common area. The four bed dorm was ok with big lockers which you can fit your whole bag in. Lots of blankets were provided which was good as it got pretty cold at night. I managed to get a half decent matress as there were two free beds in the room but for at least one of the other beds the matress was very uncomfortable and I was grateful I arrived early enough to have a choice! The shower was temperamental but I did manage to get hot water at times. The bathroom wasn't cleaned every day which given the toilet paper issue in South America was pretty grotty. I personally wouldn't recommend this place although from what i can gather it's difficult to find a half decent hostal in Bogota.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam R

Travellers are raving about these Bogota hotels

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We visited many hostels in this neighborhood and stayed at another one nearby as well (aventureros). Platypus is by far the safest, cleanest and most friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012
Panajachel, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I had asked the owner of a hostel in another town to help me find a hostel in Bogota among the bewildering abundance of choices. I said I wanted a quiet place, not a party hostel. He recommended Platypus, and I'm glad he did. It's a "typical" hostel with the usual array of services, including a kitchen, dining/TV room, decent hot showers, laundry service. If they serve breakfast, someone has invented invisible toast; I never saw anything about the free tea and coffee. Unlike other reviewers' experiences, the beds in my dorm were fine, with firm mattresses and plenty of warm blankets. One strange thing is that the bathroom lights are powered on by touching a motion-sensitive pad: the lights turn off automatically after 3 minutes. If you're in the shower at night, you'll be suddenly plunged into darkness. Other reviewers complain about the staff; I agree they won't win any hospitality awards, but they were always helpful when I needed it. Dorm: 22 pesos.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Exeter
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

This was one of the worst (bar Silvia and possibly Turbo) rooms we have stayed in all trip. It had such an overpowering smell of damp that the first thing I did was go out and buy joss sticks and burnt several to try and overpower the dreadful smell. Not only was it smelly it was also cold, dark, damp and felt grubby. There was nothing about it that made it a place you would want to sit any longer than you had too so for the duration of our time here I was either out or in bed sleeping. Then there was the door incident where I came home from one of my outings and tried the door it didn't open. So I tried to unlock it. No Joy. Dave heard my fumblings and came to the door. After loads more key turning I gave up and trekked off to find one of the staff who hang out in a house further up the hill who grudgingly solved our problem. Finally there was the toilet thing. If you have travelled in this part of the world you will know they have a rather unpleasant approach to disposal of loo paper. You are not allowed to put it in the loo but it must go in a bucket. Nicer places have a nice sealed one with a swing lid, grot places like this one just have a bin. Clearly this bin needs regular emptying. Day one I return and the room hasn't been visited by a cleaner and the bin is un-emptied. Revolting! The staff in the main house were surly and seemed to try to ignore us. The room we had was down the street and I suspect may usually be used as a dormitory. That doesn't excuse the lack of rubbish collection and finding a snail crawling over our luggage was certainly a first. These people seem to be trading on the fact that they got a mention in the Lonely Planet. The bin in the loo was still full when we checked out after 3 days.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple