“Not the best, but not the worst”

Hotel Maria Isabel Bogota
Ranked #238 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
Tampa, Florida
“Not the best, but not the worst”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First, a little background...When we first arrived in Bogota, we were picked up by family of my soon-to-be fiance. Originally, we had not planned on staying at a hotel (but that is a long and involved story and has nothing to to with this review). The first hotel our friend of the family driver took us too was HORRIBLE! The staff was nice (as was the cat that slept on the tv) but the rooms were small, dirty, the doors felt like a good wind would kick them in, and the walls must have been made with painted toilet paper. There were a bunch of young kids staying here as well, so it was loud. We told our family member that we needed to switch hotels as we did not feel comfortable here at all. They then took us to the Hotel Maria Isabel. It was definitely more than a few steps up from the first hotel (who's name I don't know because it wasn't written anywhere)! The reception was nice and the sight of a doorman was welcoming. We stayed in a double occupancy room. The room was modest, but it did have a mini fridge (that we made sure to plug in). There are no longer "mini bars" in the rooms (or at least ours didn't have one). It was quiet and comfortable enough. The bathroom was rather small, but that seems to be how they are in Colombia (maybe everything is just bigger here in America haha!). They even included breakfast at their restaurant downstairs (included with the room). It was very delicious! They also have a maitre d there. I believe his name is Gustavo. He used to work for Disney Cruise Lines and is fluent in English (if you need that). He helped us out with LOADS of information! He was definitely a plus!

All in all, it was a decent place to stay, but for the price, I'd stay somewhere more close to downtown, where it would be a little cleaner (and easier/quicker access to shopping and such), unless you have someone to drive you around! (Although there is a Trans Milenio Station about 2 blocks from the hotel, if needed).

Room Tip: Make sure your mini fridge is plugged in before leaving on your excursions! That way it's chille...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bogota
Reviewed 9 July 2010

They supposedly include taxi service to and from the hotel when arriving and leaving but its a trick. When you arrive the taxi driver insists on a tip that is higher than the fare would have been. It looks great online, and the exterior looks and the reception look good but you're in for a nasty surprise when you go up the stairs. The carpeted floors are filthy and disgusting. The bathrooms are damaged and ugly. By then it's too late to leave. But they won't let you go that easy. They management lies, cheats and manipulates you. They also place candy bars and cigarettes in the rooms and then claim that you took them which they then overcharge you for. They're crooks!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lefty71

Travellers are raving about these Bogota hotels

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I'm a business person and recently, at the recommendation of a client, I had the opportunity to stay at Hotel María Isabel Bogotá for three nights. My flight arrived late at the Bogotá airport, so I thought no one would be waiting for me. What a pleasant surprise it was to find a perfectly identified protocol person from the hotel right outside customs. I was very tired and this really made a difference. He called ahead to let them know we were arriving so that they would have everything ready. Checking in was a breeze and within 15 miniutes I was sound asleep in a most comfortable bed. Though the rooms are small, they are very clean and comfortable. Flat screen TV with many english speaking channels. Their 24/7 room service is outstanding. I had breakfast in my room everyday and they offered me something different each time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Miami
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I loved the well coordinated pickup at the airport, a bilingual staff member was waiting for me right outside of customs. He helped me with my luggage and even loaned me a cell phone to make a complementary call! all this at no cost to me.
Upon arrival at the hotel they had everything ready for me so checkin took less than five minutes.
The room was very clean and comfortable with a spotless bathroom full of amenities.
I stayed there three nights anf found the location super smart. Five minutes from the International Center, five minutes from mid town Bogota, less than 10 minutes from Zona Rosa and the Andino shopping mall, five minutes from downtown Bogota. The hotel has it's own taxi cabs that took me everywhere I needed in a most efficient and corteous manner. Sometimes they even waited for me and took me back.
I enjoyed their 24 hour room service. The staff was friendly and always helpful.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Barrichelo
Denmark
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This hotel is expensive and the rooms are quite dirty. This seems to be the standard in many Colombian hotels, so I guess you can't hold it against them.

We were 3 people visiting: My wife and I in a double and my mother-in-law in a single room. The hotel still uses keys for its doors, and the room key for our room had disappeared with the last guest, so we had to ask members of the cleaning staff to let us in every time we needed anything.

When we were about to check out, we were asked if we had taken anything from the mini-bar since the day before. We answered "No". This, apparently, was not enough for the staff, so we had to wait until a bell-boy had checked if our statements were true. We had a plane to catch at the airport, but we waited the 5 minutes until he came back. To our dismay he uttered that there was a candybar (Milky Way) missing from one of the minibars. We merely repeated that we had not taken anything from the minibar (It's a matter of policy for me, as hotels overcharge these items with several hundred percent). When he said that it was taken from my mother-in-law's minibar, the situation just became much more absurd, as she has a gastro-intestinal disorder, which means that she can not digest fat. We protested, not for the $4000, but for the fact that my mother-in-law's integrity and honesty was being questioned. The staff was adamant and stood firm on their claim. All I had to say was that I would pay the 4000 pesos and that we would never return. Apparently they are prepared to lose millions of pesos as well as the respect of a customer, for 4000 pesos in blood money. I run a business myself, and I can see that this is a sure way of quickly being out of business. Apparently this kind of logic is lost in the Hotel Maria Isabel.

All I can say is: If you're American or European, or a South American who just wants to be treated like a person, don't stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J_Leditzig
Calgary
Reviewed 31 January 2008

We saw the hotel on line and it looked fairly good and offered airport pick up so we contacted the hotel and booked it for two night.s We arrived and paid the agreed price of 111, 000 pesos for two people for one night. When we went to the room we found the hotel needs refubishing as the carpet is completely worn out. and when we arrived to our room we found it was extremely small so we went to the desk and asked about a larger room. The manager Jose Gomez showed us another room and said it would be jsut a little bit more so we moved to the new room. Our stay in Bogota was extended for 5 nights and when we went to check out we found the price per night was now 254,270 pesos we objected, the manager was not there and would not be there until the afternoon. We had a plane to catch to go to Ecuador so we paid the bill and came back 10 days later to talk to the manager. They had changed our registration to indicate this new price and would not refund us any money. We called the police but they would do nothing as well. I would not advise anyone to stay in this hotel as they are a bunch of crooks and will only ripe you off there are better places to stay in Bogota as we found out.

• Liked — Fairly good location
  • Disliked — Them chaging the room rate after we cecked into the hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank DeliaAlberta