Abadia Colonial
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Muisca Hotel(Bogota)
Hotel Regina(Bogota)
View Hotel
All reviewsla candelariacolonial stylebotero museumwithin walking distancewooden floorsfresh fruitarepasgold museumsmall hotelperfect locationbolivar squaresimon bolivarhotel locationrooms are nicehot waterthree nightsmonserrate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Abadia Colonial Hotel is in an old villa and has attractive comfortable accommodations that open onto the interior courtyards. The location is in the colorful Candelaria (historic) District, with nearby attractions and restaurants. It really helps to have a little Spanish, as most of the people who work at the hotel don't have much English; however they are very helpful and accommodating. The restaurant has very good food and nice wine selection. This is a very special hotel experience for those who want something other than a brand-new modern hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Excellent hotel, loved it charm and it's location. The restaurant was five star and couldn't get enough of the Italian menu. Great price for value,would stay again. Maria Fernanda at the front desk was very helpful and spoke perfect English. Would be difficult to stay here without knowing some Spanish, that's why I gave it 4stars.

Room Tip: Stayed in Rose room, noise from restaurant, but did not bother us. People walking by, rooms in back quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I spent some time in Bogota recently visiting friends. I stayed a few nights in Abadia Colonial. At first glance it didn't appear that special, but it only took a short time to realize why so many visit. It was beautiful, a perfect representation of Colombias colorful and rustic roots. The hotel was everything I expected, charming, romantic, rustic and accommodating. The staff was amazingly helpful, local landmarks, the most affordable ways to navigating the busy streets and best traditional dinning Colombia can offer. The hotels Italian restaurant is beyond excellent, freshly made pizza, pastas and a chocolate cake to die for. English speaking staff was extremely helpful, since my spanish is fair at best. Allow time to visit the Gold and Botero Museum and have plenty of storage space for photos. If I can make the trip again this will be on my list of hotels to stay. I can give this location nothing less that 5 stars.

Room Tip: Courtyard room to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Roberto M
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The location of the hotel is fantastic, in the La Candelaria locality of Bogota, with plenty of bars, restaurants, and attractions nearby. You can walk to the Museo Oreo and the Museo Botero. The layout of the hotel is charming in an old villa with a beautiful courtyard, and with a very nice Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner in the courtyard. We ate there and the food and the meal service was very good.

Unfortunately there are 3 things about this place that make me very hesitant to recommend this to anyone:

1. Absolutely no noise insulation in the rooms. We were in this hotel for 2 nights; on the first night the party in the courtyard went on until 10.30 pm which wasn't too bad. The second night was horrendous, the TV in the courtyard was blaring until 1.30 am. As you can imagine, this ensured pretty poor sleep.

2. Beware of the front desk staff overselling you (In fairness, most staff were helpful, we had a particularly bad experience with one). We were trying to schedule a trip to the town of Villa de Leyva (about 4 hours away by bus), and we'd already traveled around Colombia on our own the past 10 days or so. We don't speak Spanish but enough to get by; imagine my surprise when the staff member told me travel was "dangerous" and she'd arrange a private taxi to Villa de Leyva. She tried pressing 3-4 times over the course of the day, I was very firm and insistent that we would take a bus. She arranged a taxi service to the bus station, this cost 3 times as much as hailing a cab (I know because that's what we did on the way back after the trip to Villa de Leyva to get a cab back to the hotel). Be very well informed on how much hotel arranged trips are going to cost you.

3. No hot water or very spotty hot water for showers. This is a bit of a drag when you stay here for multiple days and have early morning starts for local trips or to catch an international flight back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vijay K
paolonerocchi, Gerente at Abadia Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Mrs Vijak,
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you had at the hotel, after I check your fair comments,I realized that effectively that the second night that you spent here the person who was working at night didn´t follow the hotel´s rules it was because was his first shift at that hour, we had to change completely the reception´s group for those days so for that reason He was doing the shift that night normally after 10:00 pm everything have to be on silence.

Also is true about the expensive charge for the transfer Hotel/Terminal due to the receptionist was new and She used another rate´s route, besides she told you it was "dangerous" because she wanted to be sure all our guest are safe and confortable.

With all of this I just wanted to really apologize with you and let you know that we want to send you the 12 usd over that we charged for mistake, please Sir send me for private email your information so we can send you back the money.

Sincerely
Paolo Rocchi

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My 2 daughters and I loved this hotel - our first night in Colombia. Very welcoming, clean, wonderful old house but all mod cons. Delicious breakfasts without arepas - which we came to dread in other establishments!! Excellent Italian diner on our last night, and breakfast thoughtfully provided before our 6.30am departure. Staff very friendly and obliging but I echo what a previous reviewer said about a lack of any English speaker at all.

Room Tip: Choose one opening on to the second courtyard beyond the dining room - quiter and more secure at the back, I suspect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family