Hotel El Virrey La Candelaria
US$319
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Vilar America(Bogota)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$47
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

El Virrey manages to combine the very good, quite bad and mediocre but it’s the hotel’s location that swings the vote for me.

Starting with the quite bad; the breakfast would fit this description perfectly.

More than anything else, the breakfast was just miserly. When I’m on holiday, I want to stuff my face – either with a continental or English breakfast – instead, all I got was two fried or scrambled eggs, some bread and one cup of coffee. Everything else, like fruit juice or another cup of coffee, wasn’t included.

Moving on to the mediocre, the rooms and the hotels rather soulless atmosphere would fall into this category. While the rooms have everything you’d need and are clean, they are a bit tatty and have no windows.

With regard to the hotel’s atmosphere, it just felt a bit flat to me. As well as having long, empty corridors, the hotel’s restaurant was quite cavernous and rarely full.

Thankfully, I had my iPhone for entertainment.

The two factors that rescue this hotel are the quality of service and its location, both of which are very good.

The service is both friendly and efficient. The staff on reception are cheerful and chatty as are the waiters in the restaurant.

It’s also worth noting that check-out is at 3pm which is very helpful and generous.

Turning to location, El Virrey is a ten-minute walk away from Capitolio and Candelaria, both of which offer many points of interest to tourists.

Furthermore, there are plenty of shops and bars on the doorstep, along with a well-stocked supermarket.

You could do a lot worse than stay in this hotel as long as you bear in mind its limitations.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank RedTom64
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The hotel is well located, close to the Zona T, good shopping centers and restaurants. The building, along with its decoration shows its age. It is a good option if there are no other choices, however it will not be something to remember. The hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable, but everything is average and considering the rest of offers around, it is below them. Not to confuse with the B3 Virrey (a contemporary good option), or the Virrey Park Hotel, which are both 1 block away.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Been to this hotel several times during 2009-2010. Overall it is a good place. Small, clean and secure. Service is good. It is possible for a small charge to leave your luggage in their storage room.
Area is not safe at dark, but very central at day.
A little overpriced, I think.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Like many hotels I've stayed in, the pictures on their site are a bit enhanced and make the rooms look a lot newer and larger than they are. That said, the hotel gives the appearance of being a boutique hotel. The lobby is very minimalist. The rooms are adequate but the furniture rather cheap looking. All rooms have flat screen TVs with English channels. Wi-fi was spotty. I needed it for work and it seemed to come and go, even though my room was near a router.

Early on in my stay, there was a lot of noise outside of my room (I was facing a street) so I asked to move rooms and the hotel readily agreed, even though I had been in my original room for a few hours.

The location is good. Just a few blocks from Andino shopping and a lot of trendy restaurants.

I was, at first, very disappointed with the buffet breakfast they advertised. When I went to the restaurant at 7:45 am, there were a few pieces of fruit, a few slices of bread and coffee (but no milk) there. They informed me a big group traveling together had just left so they personally prepared me scrambled eggs, breakfast meat and fresh coffee/juice.

They allowed me to check out at 2 PM, which was nice. Overall, the hotel property itself is probably a 2.5-3 star facility, but I was very happy with the service. They quickly corrected themselves (in terms of moving rooms and breakfast) when needed, and were professional and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main street and on a higher floor (4 or 5).
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Although the hotel doesn't look very promising from the outside, once you step in you feel
it's well-run, safe and clean. This is the more important, because it's located in an area
which is very convenient for visting Bogotá's most important tourist sites, but a little tacky
in the daytime and deserted at night. The rooms are small but comfortable; the only
problem is that many of them have windows that open to narrow airshafts: if you want light
or suffer from claustrophobia you should ask for a room with an outside window. Breakfast
is included in the room rate (COP$ 85000 for a single; COP$ 135000 for a double at the
time of writing) as well as a 'welcome cocktail'. The latter turned out to be something of a
joke, because the bar which was supposed to be open Monday to Friday from 3 to 11
p.m. was closed whenever I tried to go there. My question to the hotel staff when it would
be open was answered with the inevitable 'mañana'. Apart from this I can only say that
El Virrey gives very good value for the money you pay.

is included in the room