“Out of the downtown area a little but just fine otherwise”

and 1 more site!
Grand Coastal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here in Feb on a business trip to Guyana. (7 rooms). The hotel is a little out of the main downtown Georgetown area but we had transport so not a big issue. Rooms were small but clean & comfortable.

We ate breakfast and some late meals there, never had a sit down dinner. Food was good. The Grill Night looked good though, but we were whisked off elsewhere for a business related function. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Nice little bar in the front near the pool.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Al C

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I recently returned from a business stay at the Grand Coastal. We had meetings at the hotel and that was the reason that we stayed there. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was quite a way away from where I had stayed in the past and I was a little worried. It turned out great. The staff was great. The food was excellent. Guyana night was excellent. Cheryl our waitress was amazing and went out of her way to take care of us. It was an excellent value for the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a week and loved it! There is an authentic feel to the hotel that makes you know you are in Guyana and not just anywhere.

The room was comfortable clean and had a large bathroom and flat screen TV. Free wifi was great. We follow the Rick Stevens model of modest accommodations and this more that surpassed that bar.

The food was the best part of staying here. Very tasty, I wish they had even more options although I didn't see the bar menu so their could be more Guyanese choices on it.

The staff was wonderful and friendly.

The thing I was concerned the most with was the location from the city center, however that was not an issue. The hotel contracts with a taxi service that was there to pick us up within 3 to 5 mins of calling them. They even came to get us from Georgetown when we called them. It was really nice and relaxing driving up the coast to and from the hotel.

We plan to return with our kids and stay at the Grand Coastal.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merajay
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We first stayed at Grand Coastal Hotel for 5 days in January 2013, and were happy to be booked there again this January, when we stayed for 6 days. The people working there were gracious, helpful, and eager to make our stay a pleasant one. The food was delicious, from the pumpkin and roti breakfast to varied fish and chicken dinners. The small bar next to the pool made a delightful stop at the end of the day. We had a group of 20 for a closing dinner for our program, and it was planned and served with great care, and with great food. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sharlene C
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My family and I were visiting Guyana after 13 years, and having had no family there, we chose to stay at the Grand Coastal Hotel. It is centrally located, and we felt safe at all times there. The service is exceptional, from the wait staff, to the cleaning staff, to management. Everyone takes the greatest care to ensure all your needs are met, with patience and efficiency. Being pure vegetarians, we were pleasantly surprised at the availability (and variety) of really great vegetarian meals. We had most of our meals there, instead of venturing out to dine at other local places, and old friends joined us there several times for dinner. Among locals too, they are quite popular, being a hub of activity for the who's who of Guyanese society. All of our guests that met us there also had lots of good things to say about the food there. Whether you're a Guyanese returning home, or a foreigner experiencing Guyana for the first time, the Grand Coastal Hotel is a wonderful place to experience local cuisine. As a returning Guyanese, Grand Coastal was a home away from home for me. I found the rooms there to be comfortable, and clean. One of my absolute favorite things there was the TV; despite being away from home, I was able to watch all the shows I watch at home!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Unforgettable Experience:

The last time I visited Guyana was over 20 years ago. My family and I having been planning to go back and visit for years. Not sure of what to expect, we delayed going back and opted for cruises each year. Finally we decided to go two months ago during the holiday season. After researching all the hotels, we decided on Grand Coastal since it was away from the city and thought it would be more cozy and safer. From the moment I made the reservations, I had so many questions. I kept emailing the staff who promptly replied answering my every question and constantly reassured me of all my concerns.
Upon my arrival at the airport, there was a vehicle waiting to take us to the hotel. The driver was very patient, helpful, and informative.
Our first impression of the hotel was unforgetful. The first thing my husband noticed was the bar and grill by the pool which looked so inviting, my kids (ages 11 & 13) immediately noticed the beautiful pool and lovely Christmas decorations (which made the place look like something out of a fairy tale, according to my daughter). I noticed the security guards at the gate and immediately felt safe. The staff was incredibly helpful in getting our luggage up to the room and checking in was a breeze. We were also immediately informed of available food, drinks, and refreshments. Grateful for this info since my kids are always starving.
I can compare our room to that of a master suite on a cruise ship, but larger and way more opulent. Our suite came with a separate kitchen, sitting / entertaining area with a sofa bed, refrigerator, microwave, etc. The beds and pillows were very luxurious. The bathroom was huge with a cabinets/ shelves to put away all our things so we were neatly organized. The room and bathroom were always kept immaculate (so important to me). Great job housekeeping!
The head of house keeping (Ms. Dahta) came to meet us, she was so warm and welcoming and made herself and her staff available to us at all times, we were never short of anything.
The Food: The best part of our stay. I couldn't believe the menu when i saw it. MY husband and I enjoyed all the authentic Guyanese flavors every morning for breakfast. Any kind of vegetables that you can possible desire with shrimp was served for breakfast with hot roti, my children enjoyed the typical American breakfast. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating. I will always remember Mahendra and Romaine, who provided us with exceptional service, information, and comfort. Mr. Ramesh, the GM, came over to us several times to make sure we were comfortable. The whole vacation, my husband and I kept saying to ourselves, why did we take so long to return? GC provided us with all the comforts of a five star hotel, yet we had the feel of being at home with the food, service and warmth of the staff. The staff arranged a car at all times for our touring needs. We never worried about safety or transportation. My children enjoyed being served at the pool daily and room service at their finger tips, they also enjoyed the wifi and cable TV. The only reason we cruise so much is because we love the exceptional food, service and being pampered. Grand Coastal, you were above and beyond all my cruising experiences. The service was exceptional from the moment we landed at the airport to the minute we checked out. I can write a book on my wonderful experiences. All I can say is thank you for our unforgettable memories. Can't wait to return!!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The hotel is not the best but its ok if you like average. However I have ate at their restaurant a few times the food was ok . There are still areas that needs to work on especially the "food options, flavors and needs more variety to choose from". One thing that hurt me the most was walking to the bar or restaurant and having to sit there forever before someone decide to acknowledge Me. Every time I went I felt like i was begging the servers to do me a favor by ordering something. They made me felt unwelcome so most times I just ordered room service or dine out. The service in the restaurant was "HORRIBLE" but the housekeepers were great and a few managers. But I will never return to this place nor the country.

• Stayed: January 2014