“Possibly my worst hotel experience”

Status International Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Status International Hotel
Ranked #19 of 33 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It is difficult to give this hotel even a single star. The room was smelly, there was at least one dead cockroach next to the bed and the face-basin had a black rim around the drain. I stayed on the 3rd floor but there was no elevator. Eggs served at breakfast had a strange appearance but were tasty and the staff was generally friendly, so I guess it is deserving of one star.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nrgibson

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a tour group. I had a single room with a comfortable queen bed. The rooms have tile floors, comfortable beds and good air conditioning. The shower is good and hot. The restaurant serves fresh local food. Housekeeping dipped on the second day so I needed to get more paper and towels from the front desk...but they were quick and accommodating. I was given a bright corner room with 3 Windows. A treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room in the back. The intersection at the front has traffic and lots of honking bec...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Status Hotel was cheaply built to host World Cup Cricket in Guyana and it has changed hands several times. It is now called Status Hotel.

Its about 20 Minutes walk to the City Centre and is in a relatively quiet area.

The rooms are basic and are kept clean but the beds are old, small and could do with a better mattresses.

Its one of the cheapest, safe, clean and basic hotels in Georgetown, Guyana. Nice manager; an awesome lady who speaks Portuguese. She has a very honest and great staff.

WiFi sucks at the 2nd and 3rd floor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights when recently in Georgetown. The hotel was chosen by the tour operator and we decided to check out and find somewhere else for the rest of our stay once our obligations were done. There's nothing much wrong with the hotel, but there's not much right either. The rooms are mostly clean, although the shower area in one room retained the remnants of the last guests' soap. The TV gets Brazilian and Guyanese TV, but the picture is poor. The beds were fine. Basically, it's a cheap hotel and not bad value for money. I preferred to stay somewhere nicer for an extra $30 per night, but if you're looking for somewhere cheap to stay for a couple of nights, here is fine. The staff are mostly friendly and the hotel will change US for Guyanese money fine. It's adequate, not much more to say.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel, away from Croal Street. That's the quietest place.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kryptikmo
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is very nice.The staff are friendly,the place is clean no pool but the bar is very nice.You get what u pay for.They also have free net and everyone is nice and helpful.You just have to ask and they are there.I enjoyed my three days there.

Room Tip: I took the first floor and i had a great time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed at Status with a group of friends for three days in March 2013. Our reservations were made in advance by one of our guyanese friends. When we checked in we were immediately billed for our 3 day stay which wasn't a problem. Imagine our shock when we attempting to check out being told we owed the hotel money because we stayed for 4 days.

It was clear to us that the hotel has questionable business practices. The rate we were quoted and agreed on was different when we arrived. Additionally, the hotel was running a room rate special for the month of March (signs were on the wall at the check in area) and we called this to the attention of the receptionist. We eventually got the reduced rate. I believe that was the reason the hotel falsely claimed we owed them an extra day because they saw that as a method to extract extra funds from us.

Additionally, 2 persons in our group took a double occupancy room. On the 2nd day of our stay, we were presented with a bill for the breakfast of an additional person! At this point we were told that double occupancy rooms get only 1 complimentary breakfast.

I am of the opinion that the hotel uses shady methods of nondisclosure in order for guests to spend more. This is dishonest and underhand. If the hotel has specific policies, they should let guests and perspective guests know before hand, so an informed decision can be made. My experience at Status was not good and my friends and I will never stay there again, nor will we recommend them to anyone we know.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nkeci
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I am a frequent visitor to Guyana,staying a another hotel,a staff fro that hotel recommended Zoom in,well its a place to be relax,the staff are efficient and accommodating,of very pleasant nature.The food was excellent ,the experience was a pleasant investment

Room Tip: go to zoom in
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business