“Comfortable”

Courtyard Paramaribo
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Paramaribo
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel was clean and comfortable.Staff was very helpful and friendly.A typical Courtyard.Food was absolutely tasty.Just needed a bit more variety at breakfast.Has a pool and a typical Marriott gym.Location is great if you want it to be quiet and close to town but not in walking distance

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 13 July 2013

The rooms are decent, similar to any other Courtyard; however a humidity/musty smell is pretty strong when you walk into the room.

The people made the difference for me!...the staff at the restaurant and coffee bar are nice and helpful.

The lady making coffee even remembered how I liked the coffee and number of creams and sugars I wanted in my cappuccino!. While eating the lunch buffet they explained the origin and ingredients of the different dishes and made sure I was happy with my choices......

My only issue was that I left behind (and lost) a Polo branded shirt (I used it the last night I was there). I called and someone told me they would check and call me back (to Florida). They did, but were not able to find my shirt......

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I had a pleasant stay at the hotel! Great food(fresh salads), nice pool and also a cozy Gym.
Friendly and helpful Staff who always were willing to assist. It was like a big happy family and felt like i've been there for a while. Loved it, I sure would stay once again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2013

A typical Courtyard,no real surprises.A little higher priced than an unbranded similar hotel but reliable.
The breakfast was good,pool is adequate although on Sundays they should restrict locals who take all the chairs.The gym is good and the staff very pleasant and helpful.
The rooms are good with one exception which is mentioned in many reviews.The rooms have a mouldy smell due to some problem with the a/c system.It is producing a lot of condensation in the rooms.
It is a bit of a long walk to a choice of restaurants and the restaurant is expensive for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed here in April and June 2013. It's been my second home in Paramaribo. Highly recommended for very good reasons:
a) Cozy and very comfortable - great bed sheets, duvet, bed, shower, etc. hard to find comfort when you are away from home ..This hotel has a very cozy and family style atmosphere.
b)very accommodating staff and exceptional personalized service - to the point: amazing staff!! My plane was delayed by one day, I called the hotel in the middle of night - was able to get through right away to the reception. Normally, this never happens! Then, the GM made sure the airport shuttle arrived on time - it was my first time to Paramaribo and I was traveling alone, so its very comforting to know that the hotel staff are looking out for you. I stayed there for two weeks and then came back a month later and the staff still remembered my name! I have yet to experience this level of service in other places - so far, only Courtyard Marriott Paramaribo :)
c) great food and beverages - nice breakfast, good selection; great smoothies made with real fruits and always served with a smile. Staff are courteous and polite; chef will make food according to allergies, etc. I am a picky eater - and kitchen is very accommodating on that end.
d) great gym - small but clean. Never crowded. Towels and water provided.
e) awesome pool with best bartenders! Love coming here on weekends - great music, cocktails and pool is always clean!! Nice lounge chairs too - great place to unwind and enjoy the weekend. Beautiful view of the river never hurts too!

All in all, very happy with my stay here in April and in June 2013. I am now a frequent customer - its my home away from home. I love it in Suriname and I must say that it is very much attributed to my stay at the hotel, friends I've made there and the great ambiance.

Room Tip: Room tips - get a river view room! So worth it. Start your morning with a splendid sunset and conclu...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank russkita
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Avoid this hotel like the plague.

They are a dishonest bunch of lying thieves. I stayed there for 7 nights and my reservation booked online indicated that breakfast was included. When I checked in I was asked to sign a check-in form and nowhere did it state that breakfast was not included.

Upon checking out, I was asked to pay $120 for breakfast and magically there was a chop on my check-in sheet that indicated breakfast was not included.

Our party included 2 rooms and i can understand if one of us would have missed a "breakfast not included" stamp but not both.

I asked for a delayed checkout at 2pm and was told that would be ok. When I finally did check out, there was a $25 late-checkout charge.

I insisted on seeing the manager, a guy named Neil Standlone or something like that. He was equally rude and quite a displeasure to deal with.

I normally stay with the IHG group of hotels but decided to go with the mariott this time. Never again will i step foot into another mariott hotel. An utterly distasteful experience.

If you are in Paramaribo and want a hotel go stay at the Royal Torrarica instead. A much better location (near food, shops etc), staff is much more friendly and you wont get cheated.

Totally appalled at how a big chain operates a hotel like this....!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Prem_Chandiramani
Respone, Manager at Courtyard Paramaribo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Please allow us to respond to this review.
Please rest assured that we are continuously striving towards service excellence. Our associates are friendly and honest as most reviews confirm. This particular guest had no notification that breakfast was included, as a matter of fact he booked through Expedia which is room only. The guest was originally charged a late check out fee since he checked out after 2 PM however this charge was immediately taken off. Thank you and we are looking forward to your visit.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Room was clean, Pool area was good and outside snack bar. Reception bar was good and food in dining room. Stayed here on business. Transfer arranged from airport by the hotel and was VERY good. They were waiting for me at night with a board with my name on even though it took ages getting through passport control. Staff on reception friendly. Bed was comfortable.
Had a river view room on top floor which had great views and a sunny outlook.
Would stay here again no problem.

Room Tip: River View, Upper floor. Nice views out.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business