Torarica Hotel & Casino
US$93
US$86
Travelocity
US$75
Un Pied a Terre Guesthouse(Paramaribo)(Great Value!)
US$30
Agoda.com
All reviewstennis courtsglass bathroomthe rivernice hotelnice renovated roomsterrace roomvery friendly servicebusiness tripnice facilitiesswimming pool and saunawalking distancewould stay here againlocation is excellentenjoyed my stayhotel stafflive musiceco resort
Reviewed 24 May 2011

All we can say is that this hotel is simply EXCELLENT. We've been to all different chains of five star hotels and we can say that TORARICA does not ask favors to anyone. I would give them 5 stars on the spot!
Absolutely clean rooms every day, spacious rooms, EXCELLENT service, friendly and efficient staff and excellent location.
A superb hotel. The rooms are also luxurious, really beautiful and extremely comfortable. Breakfast was a feast, Moreover all the hotel staff were friendly.
We will be back!!!!!!!
John Birjmohun (Journalist +TV reporter)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank JohnBridgeBirjmohun
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Torarica Hoetel and Casino has the appearance of a four star hotel only in the lobby. Once you get past the main lobby/reception area, the ceiling drops low onto your head, the carpet is stained and smelly, the air is of a very poor quality, the walls are of a poor quality just with a fresh coat of paint and the doors to the rooms are very close together. Walking in I felt as if any moment a door would open and a crazed junky would come out. The further I walked in, the poorer the air quality. I could barely breathe. I wanted to make an about turn but it was near 3 a.m. due to the flight schedule and I was totally exhausted. They are also doing renovations which added dust to the musty damp odour. There were flies in the toilet, mosquitoes attacked me as if I was in the out in the bushes, the toilet paper was covered in dust, the linens smelled stale and the sound of the airconditioning was over-whelming. I could also touch the ceiling and I felt congested. I dared not touch anything before wiping it. When daylight came I complained and the Clerk offered me another room which smelled even worse. Clearly rooms have not been used, at least on the ground floor, for a long time. When daylight came I informed them I was checking out immediately and they made arrangements to have me transferred to the Royal Torarica which was of superb quality - it was like night and day. Royal Torarica should in no way be linked to the Torarica Hotel and Casino.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lonetraveller46
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Previous reviews give a fair impression of the place. It's got the faded charm factor and you get the feeling you've stepped into the 80's with the blue carpets and yellow hallway paint. But there is a nice pool, the breakfast buffet is serviceable (ask for espresso if standard coffee just won't do!), the internet works, and some rooms feature bathrooms that have been updated from their previous dankness. I visited 2 years ago and it was in worse shape than it is today.

I haven't found housekeeping or front desk staff to be rude... they can be a bit disorganized though. That is totally par for the course in Suriname, and not a unique characteristic of this particular hotel. Settling my incidentals tab on checkout would have been a comedy of errors had I not been in a hurry to catch a plane. Instead it was infuriating.

I did arrive in my room to find no towels in the bathroom, and it took several hours for new ones to materialize which was annoying.

Good location for walking to Fort Zeelandia (good coffee there, too, people), the government square, Waterkaant, and 'downtown' Parbo, etc. Taxis in front don't seem to charge any more than the ones you catch along the street, in my experience.

Compared to the other two Toraricas - where I've also stayed - this one is on par with the "Eco Resort" in terms of quality, but with far more amenities on-site. The Torarica Royal next door is in a totally different class - and price range.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I was with friends who stayed at the Torarica to participate in an art event. They came back to the hotel after a long trip to Moengo. I was supposed to pick them up to go to Holi Phagwa festival, and bought some local food to have along the way. My friends were tired and hungry and wanted to have the food in the hotel before leaving for our next stop. We bought drinks at the hotel but found ourselves chased by the hotel staff (four in all, including a security guard and the manager) all explaining policy etc. to us. No compassion and understanding. We had our food on the run and ended up in the noisy Vat having some more drinks, because my friends lost all vibes to consume anything else in the hotel....

Sadly this is not my only experience with their 'client friendly' policy....

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2009

This was quite an eventful trip, started with a dash across Amsterdam to obtain a visa, cause they won't let you on the plane without one, despite what you may be told. So thanks to everyone at Suriname Airways for their help last Sunday.

The transfer to the hotel was smooth enough, bottles of cool water to help with the heat, in late october :o)

Check-in efficient and friendly, but I found the room itself a little tired and in need of an update. It was clean enough and the room cleaning service was excellent.

Food in the bar was great, try the local dishes, Brown Bean Creole style was particularly good.

Breakfast was the usual fair, I didn't bother with hot food, choosing the fresh fruit and yogurt to start the day, throughout the week the fruit juices were changed, my favourite being Soursop.

Bar staff were very attentive and despite other comments on this forum, I found the service very rapid, surprisingly so on occasions. Took a little longer at the weekend, but they were much busier then.

Free wireless worked OK, and the room coffee perculator knocks spots off most UK instant coffeee packets. It was also better than the airport's executive lounge Nescafe. I will never understand why people consider nescafe to be quality.

The grounds of the hotel are extensive, tennis courts and outdoor gym, various beauty salon type stuff and saunas, but I didn't use any.

The hotel was lively some nights, particularly at the weekend, some evening entertainment on wednesday, but generally low key.

I enjoyed my stay at the Torarica and would be happy to return, I was working in a hotel accross the road, (Queens) which was also excellent.

I must say, I felt intimidated when venturing outside the hotel towards the town, constantly approached by beggars, it is not a place to stop and wander.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business