“Noise, noise and mosquito's. Forget about sleep.”

Torarica Hotel & Casino
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Paramaribo
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I spend two nights in this hotel which is a corporate selection. Although this hotel has apparently renewed its decoration recently, it has not installed the most elementary noise insulation. From the inside you take showers and listen to the television with your neighbours. You cannot leave the A/C on because of the noise it makes.
I stayed in a room on the street side. I was told that there was not much traffic, which is true, except that drivers make a lot of noise. Moreover, there is a joint opposite the hotel where they start playing (poor quality) music at 10:00pm and keep on during the whole night (I know I could not sleep and had to get a plane at 7:00am). If this does not prevent you from sleeping the mosquitos will. Despite the fumigation treatment I requested from the room caretakers, I could not get hold of them during the nights I was there.
I was there for business and not for long. I managed to survive, but if you happen to go to Paramaribo for holidays, staying there will seriously jeopardise them.
Unfortunately the breakfast coffee hardly tastes coffee, which will not help you in overcoming the lack of sleep. The buffet is not that great either, neither is the restaurant menu that does not offer a lot of choice.

Room Tip: May be better at the back (pool side), at all cost refuse the street side. But I am not sure because...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We arrived at 2 o’clock in the morning at the hotel. Our room wasn’t the one we reserved more the 3 months ago. We were traveling with business partners and we got a honeymoon room. The staff told us the hotel was full and they didn’t have another room for us. We stayed the whole night in the smoking smelling lobby. In the morning the manager told us we could get a room to fresh up as courtesy of the hotel, while they are looking for another room for us. After making sure that we do not need to pay for this “fresh up” room, we went to the room at 8 o’clock in the morning. Afterwards they did charge us the full price for the room because check in time was at 5 pm and we went to the room to take a shower at 8 am o’clock. The way they did was to mislead us and made us pay anyway. The worst part was when we went to the director. She was very rude and wanted to dismiss the manager who had given us the free room in front of us. She told us that they have sent us to the room instead of putting us on the street.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2013

good rooms, good bath, very small tv (why?), decent wifi, ample gardes, nice swimming pool, sufficient services, very good location. Certain things may need a bit of remodeling, but overall it is a safe bet in Paramaribo, and it does have a very convenient shuttle service for the red eyes that land at an airport one hour away from the city!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here is because at 2am coming from a red eye flight my guesthouse over booked.

I paid $145USD for Room 113. Ill get the positives out if the way because there are few: Clean room, hot shower, great AC.

Now for the bad.

WiFi is atrocious in the rooms. Actually it's a nightmare everywhere because one you get on, it logs you right off. It was a lost cause so I stopped trying to use it.

Noise in the early morning made you feel like you should put on a hard hat and go to work. Maybe I have the worst luck in history, but the 1 night I needed sleep was this one after walking to this hotel at 2am trying to sleep at 3am then being awoken by hammers next door at 6am! FML

I asked locals and the hotel is always under renovation.

Front desk staff acted like they really didn't want to help me. Maybe because I only stayed one night? I don't know but she says she called Regle Taxi and it took 25 minutes to get there.

Guess what? The 1 day I'm there, the pool was closed. Aww, too bad. Some guy was cleaning it and doing repairs.

Breakfast is sub par. Could of had the same spread at a guesthouse for a fraction of the cost.

The surrounding area is pretty with the Suriname River and the pier. Other than that, go somewhere else.

This place was a horrible experience for me.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JerryAscione
Reviewed 30 January 2013

During our last visit to Paramaribo in may 2012 we stayed at this hotel. The service was good and the staff kind. But this trip we have encountered a lack of service. The reception staff is kind and helpful. But the service during breakfast is unpleasant. I hope and expect changes as soon as possible. The have also renovate the rooms. But the bathroom in some rooms are surrounded with "frosted glass". Its not recommended to have visitors in your room while taking a shower.
But back in Paramaribo, we will be back at the Torarica hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a NOT renovated room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JohnBridgeBirjmohun
Reviewed 15 January 2013

This is a very well placed hotel with very friendly service at a good price. I always feel at home in Torarica. Very nice staff. Every employee is pleasant. The hotel has a nice pool and garden and is located with easy access to the historic center of Paramaribo so good location!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank GiseleRoosLaDiosa
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Pool, gym, massage ... there is a lot of activity in Torarica if you are into an active holiday under the tropical sun. The interior is being reconstructed: I stayed in both an old and a new room, and there is a big difference. The modern ones are good standard, clean, and with a modern shower/toilet area. The beds were very comfortable and the size of the room is good - although I was alone in a double room, but there was plenty of space.

The best part of the hotel is the garden. The pool area is pretty, the hut-style gym/massage facilities looked attractive, although this time I did not have the opportunity to actually try them - will bring equipment next time! They have organised rumba/yoga/aerobics classes, which seemed well attended. The tennis courts are also well kept. I particularly enjoyed the country house and Pier by the Suriname river - a really peaceful and scenic spot. The country house seems a bit run down and underutilized, but this really was the attraction for me: a great place to wind down, enjoy the scenery, or even get some work or reading done in silence and quiet.
Food is OK - it does offer a bit of variety, but after a week or so you have seen it all... Service is good and helpful - in general, people in Suriname are very kind, helpful and good - natured. For first-time Europeans, the pace may seem slow at the beginning, but after a few days most pick up the 'speed' and take things easy!

The gardens are well kept and looked after. They are pretty much my idea of what a relaxing tropical garden would look like!

Since I did not visit the casino, I have no comment on that. The location of the hotel is good, although if the construction works inside the hotel and in the area are finished, it will be even better. The sights and restaurants / cafes are close Paramaribo is a walking town anyway, almost everything is easy to get to .

There are several trips organized to the interior and Torarica offers a tour service: most mornings the service desk is manned and helpful staff will guide you to the trip of your choice.

The cash machine and gift shop inside were also good service. One more positive point: all the staff speak fluent and good English. Since the majority of visitors come from Holland, Dutch is the primary language but English gets you by perfectly.

All in all, relax and enjoy your stay - I certainly did!

Room Tip: Garden view is more beautiful, though street side may be cooler, and less air-conditioning required.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business