Previous reviews give a fair impression of the place. It's got the faded charm factor and you get the feeling you've stepped into the 80's with the blue carpets and yellow hallway paint. But there is a nice pool, the breakfast buffet is serviceable (ask for espresso if standard coffee just won't do!), the internet works, and some rooms feature bathrooms that have been updated from their previous dankness. I visited 2 years ago and it was in worse shape than it is today.
I haven't found housekeeping or front desk staff to be rude... they can be a bit disorganized though. That is totally par for the course in Suriname, and not a unique characteristic of this particular hotel. Settling my incidentals tab on checkout would have been a comedy of errors had I not been in a hurry to catch a plane. Instead it was infuriating.
I did arrive in my room to find no towels in the bathroom, and it took several hours for new ones to materialize which was annoying.
Good location for walking to Fort Zeelandia (good coffee there, too, people), the government square, Waterkaant, and 'downtown' Parbo, etc. Taxis in front don't seem to charge any more than the ones you catch along the street, in my experience.
Compared to the other two Toraricas - where I've also stayed - this one is on par with the "Eco Resort" in terms of quality, but with far more amenities on-site. The Torarica Royal next door is in a totally different class - and price range.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With over 50 years experience in accommodating guests and catering to their every need, Torarica Hotel & Casino is the most famous and renowned hotel in Suriname. Located along the Suriname River, near the very heart of the bustling city life and historic center, Torarica Hotel & Casino is the ideal location for business, relaxing getaways and family holidays. With 132 comfortable and elegantly furnished rooms equipped with all modern conveniences, a restaurant offering cultural culinary experiences, a richly decorated and relaxing lounge area and bar, the hotel offers everything the modern traveler looks for in a perfect holiday experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Torarica Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Torarica Hotel And Casino
- Torarica Hotel Paramaribo