“Fantastic”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at Shady Rest Hotel. Considering all the other hotels in Port Moresby, this is definitely one of the good spots. The turnaround time of getting my booking acknowledge was great. Great friendly staff & service at the hotel is far above the best in town. During my stay in Port Moresby, I went to another premier hotel to have dinner. The service give to customers was slow and really bad. But when I compared that to Shady rest, their service was the best. For example, the restaurant is by far the best in town. Best authentic Indian restaurant in town, pizza was the best (I thought I was having Pizza hut). Best peppered steak I have had in a long time. And what surprises me is that their have great coffee and latte was well, thought I was in Melbourne. Great menu selection to choice from + the staff were great.
Definitely try the new studio rooms, Very very nice. Any ways, thanks shady rest for making my stay a pleasant one. Definitely home away from home. Excellent.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bozzn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This month I stayed on two seperate occassions at Shady Rest Hotel in POM as part of a group tour from Australia.
The great service started when I got fast feeback via email of my booking request. My request was ignored by all other main POM hotels I contacted (other than the Lammna)
Due to price considerations of the group, we choose the Shady Rest and this proved to be a great chioce. The attention to us by all staff was excellent and efficient. Airline pickups were on time and efficient. Checkin friendly. Rooms were well priced, clean and modern. When we needed help with airline confirmation staff were happy to oblige, happy and efficient.
Our laundry was handled efficently and with great attention to detail.

We dinned at the onsite restaurant (which was a good deal even if the decor is a bit old fashioned compared to international standards, but why would you be in PNG if that mattered?) and the Micks Pizza outlet which was very convienient. The onsite ATM was a godsend.

The overall experince was of a high standard and it is clear that Management is attending to details in a very thorough mannner. Please keep up the good work.

I would recommend this hotel for value for money for any international visitor to PNG

I now have a new regular POM hotel.

Neil Hermes
Niugini Discoveries

Room Tip: Choose room on north side facing preschool to get best outlook and quietest nights sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Neil H
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Well, Papua New Guinea "the Land of the Unexpected" is the most expensive place I have ever been and I have been to more than 100, and is also the one where you get the least for your money. The Shady Rest hotel is well in this category as for $170 per night, you get a very, very musty smelly room with a terrible bathroom. As we complain to the desk about the smell, they send someone with a spray bottle and then on top of the musty smell, the room smelled strawberry. You had to laugh at this. I agree with everything that Paubranco said about this place. Avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank nomade123
SRHManagement, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologise for and appreciate your letting us know the deficiency in the room that you stayed in. We would be much obliged if you would kindly inform us of the date of stay and the number of the room you were given as well as who you approached at the front office.

Our policy has always been to offer a different room or even a free upgrade to our new rooms, if and when available, whenever a patron is justifiably unhappy with his/her current room. The information that you provide will help us investigate further the deficiencies of the room as well as why our Front Officer Manager did not follow our awoved policy in this particular instance. This information will definitely help us in bringing the room(s) upto spec and in proactively preventing such incidents occurring to our valued clients in the future. Thank you once again.
United States
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Port Moresby hostelry infamous for having about as bad a value for cost as anywhere on the planet. $170 usd gets you an absolutely wretched experience at the Shady Rest. Be prepared when their airport pick-up fails to materialize despite e-mail confirmation. Phone from arrivals, appearance of their beat-up van gives a preview of what you're in for. Pre-payment demanded at check-in, with very bad foreign exchange rate. Hotel compound location is near nothing walkable; cab to anywhere a minimum 20$. Three room sizes. Smallest are miniscular and are not an option, unless you are there for a by-the-hour assignation, and can tolerate the impermeated smell stench. The medium sized-rooms also claustrophopic. This one had no window, except bathroom open air grate onto outdoor corridor. Air in room is fetid, with the smell. Need AC on constantly. Flimsy door and lock, big gap on bottom for insect access. No internet here, TV volume kept cutting out, or picture, unusable. The tepid stream of hot water a long time in coming. Bathroom, small, shabby, poor lighting. (this room is not 24 sq.meters, despite what the Indian ownership says.) Overall a cheaply constructed, motel-like building, nearly decrepit. Bar bottles are loaded into a truck parked below rooms, glass slamming either after bar closing or else first thing in the morning, the sound to wake up to. Restaurant over-priced, but at least the 20$ sandwich was not inedible. Large Indian menu, as ownership is Indian Hindoo.Half-litre of water, they sell for three usd. Nothing complementary, no water. In bath, a cheap small soap, and small packet cheap shampoo. And lastly, a required key deposit is 100 kina. Pay for your room by credit card, they add on the key deposit and refuse to refund it. Instead they try to make you take a hundred kina in cash. Papua staff is nice, but stressed and inflexible, apparently from Indian Hindoo ownership management. Free shuttle to airport took off 20 minutes late. A brand new hotel not yet on tripadvior-- pretty nice priced at 400 kina with gym -- has just opened across the street from this mess which has absolutely nothing to recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Paubranco
illuzone, Manager at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
A million thanks for your review. Thank you for posting pics illustrating that renovations are ongoing at the hotel and that our place is gated and very well secured in a city rated by the United Nations to be one of the most insecure in the whole wide world. Our patrons can rest assured we take their safety and security very seriously and have a total of 24 security personnel looking after their well being. All the Consulates and Embassies of course do warn people not to go by foot anywhere in the city day or night.

While we appreciate reviews and hope that our patrons will continue giving us feedback whether good or bad. Once in a while we have to respond when we discover that the facts are not exactly as reported by a well meaning person but are a "little bit" overdone.

Upon investigation we discovered a few things that we would like to mention:
1. You were a walk in customer and did not have a prior booking. The question of a pick late or otherwise does not therefore arise at all.
2. In Papua New Guinea the banks do not have a system of putting holds on available funds on credit cards and therefore we cannot take deposits. They also do not allow us to do refunds, hence our policy of giving cash refunds of the key deposit to the clients. Most patrons love the idea of getting cash back but i guess like in everything else in life there must be one exception.
3. Key deposits are pretty much standard in all the hotels in Papua New Guinea as improper checkouts and the fact that things do often walk away somehow from the rooms.
4. Thank you for taking a picture of our current rates that illustrates that our rates are very affordable in a city where hotels are ultra expensive
5. Our Club Sandwich is twenty kina (about $9.00 at current exchange rates) and not $20.
6. Only 33% of our menu offerings originate from the whole Indian subcontinet.
6. We are not Hindus (note the correct spelling is not Hindoo). One of our nine chefs does certainly follow the well respected Hinduism epistomology however he was in India on his leave when you stayed at the Hotel
7. A subcontractor does come in a truck to pick up empty drink bottles for return or recycling usually once a week and normally around 11:00 in the morning. We do regret and apologise if the noise disturbed you.
8. You did forget to mention that you forcefully prevailed upon the Front Office Manager (not a Hindu either) and a Duty Manager (a Papua New Guinean) by telling them you would ride a terrible review if they didnt, to get the Airport Bus to take you to the Airport so that you could exchange your money there as you werent happy with the Admin fee charged of .025 percent by us. By the way I am currently in US and the hotel here whose name starts with M and ends with a T, who by the way has exactly the same type of shampoo, conditioner and soap that we have in our rooms - the only difference being the logo on their items - charged me .30 points (about 12 times as much) to exchange my money. Of course while you took the bus away on this unauthorised trip, other patrons had to wait for their rides!
9. Both our Airport Van and Bus were both bought within the last 2 years and are in great shape.
10. The driver of the bus did not come to work for two days as he was depressed when you told him that he shouldnt worked for "Hindoos" and should be getting paid more as our rates were much lower than people in the US. One would excuse this and say that you must have somehow forgotten that you were in Papua New Guinea. We do pay Papua New Guinean market rates and not first world market rates and one would think that such a conclusion would be pretty obvious. Pity now he will make less this fortnight as he missed two days at work.
11. We do regret if the room was not upto your satisfaction but Port Moresby is quite humid and the aircon pretty much is a necessity to keep the air seem fresher. The whole block containing superior room that you stayed in is slated to go into renovations starting in the next couple of weeks (as soon as our 14 new furnished suites in ouir new section are completed).

Thank you once again for your review. We will certainly look into how we can improve our offer.
australia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was in Port Moresby last weekend and enquired for prices in lots of motels and the prices were surprising, I enquired at this motel and was told that it costed K319.00 for a premium room that i decided to purchase for 3 nights and it was really good, my wife and i really enjoyed it staying there. It was also quite and the VIP bar had some karaoke beats going on and we loved seeing that, but a slow quite local life band at the bar next time will be entertaining. I'll be traveling to Port Moresby next weekend and hope the price will remain the same.
Thanks Shady Rest for a good price in and expensive city.
Any visitors or tourist planning to travel to Port Moresby, than I recommend this place for you and your partner. Happy Holidays.

Room Tip: Just enquire for the price that suits you.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dudAustralia
illuzone, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Thank you for your review and suggestions. We are happy to have made your stay a pleasant one. We will definitely explore the possibility of hiring a local band on some nights playing some soft nice music.

The new prices are part of our 15th Anniversary Celebration special and we intend to keep them valid, and will do our best to maintain them, until at least February 2013.

We are sure you will enjoy your stay this weekend with us again and please feel free to contact the General Manager or any our Management staff for any special requests.
Washington
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The Shady Rest Hotel in Port Moresby is much like a Motel 6 hotel in the United States. It offers simple rooms with the basic equipment: double bed, a writing desk and chair, a flat screen color TV, and a bathroom with a shower. Of course, being in super pricey Port Moresby, the room rate is more than four times the price of an American Motel 6 room; I paid 398 kina or about US$ 185, not including breakfast.

My second-floor room was air-conditioned and relatively quiet. The hotel offers room service, but it was simple to go downstairs to Mr. Mike’s and order a delicious pizza, then bring it up to one’s room.

The hotel has a restaurant on the first floor, and a good bar on the second floor. The staff in both places were friendly and efficient.

The Shady Rest offers free pick up and drop off service at the Port Moresby Airport, which saves one approximately $15 each way.

To me, this hotel was a rip-off price wise, but it was also the less expensive moderately-price hotel I could find in Port Moresby. In addition, I found the property to be quite safe, which is extremely important in that crime-ridden city.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Cyclopath43
illuzone, Manager at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for your review and pointing out that we are the only moderately priced hotel in Port Moresby and we have good security, room service, a nice lounge, restaurant, great pizza and great service among other things.

Pricing and rates are a function of location, costs, supply and demand among other factors. Like mentioned before Port Moresby is an expensive place. As there are no local industries everything has to be imported from Australia or New Zealand or other countries. This includes food items as well as vehicles, furniture, building materials, linens and qualified staff! To give you a simple example, a pint of milk which one can purchase from Safeway in US for 99 cents is brought in from New Zealand and the supermarket here sells it for Kina 21.00 (US$ 9.00). Tomatoes are k29.95 (US13.00) a kilo. Similarly everything we purchase cost a lot more.

Comparing us to a Hotel Chain in US is a little unfair. US has a population of 300 million and have over 60 million tourists in addition to business visitors and everything that a hotel needs is either manufactured in US or easily available and ten times cheaper. We have a population of 6 million and lack infrastructure and have less than 10 thousand tourists and a few more business visitors.

Motel 6 used to charge $6 a night, hence the name, and now of course charge nearly $50; but they do not have any security issues or sourcing issues that would be comparable to ours. They do not have to import skilled labour or bring in any day to day necessities. I am sure if they were in PNG they would have to change their name to Hotel 400.

Some good news though. We have just reduced all our rates again and our base rates now start at K249 ($100) for an ensuite double room. Please contact Reservations for more details.

Most of our customers consider our facilities and services satisfactory and not surprising our occupancy figure for the last five years have been over 95%. Most of our clients are business clients and they appreciate the proximity to the airport and to the business areas and medical facilities and the fact we are a destination point with air con rooms, good restaurants, lounge, gaming area and a hair salon in a safe and secure facility in a "crime ridden city". This, in my opinion, in itself should be worth five stars! Thank you
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed here for 22 nights and unfortunately did not get any dscount for my long stay. You will recieve coffee and sugar as ration and creamer will only be given if requested. Expect few cockroaches to hand around by your bedside. TV remote cannot be located by hotel staff and despite several reminders and trying different remot I gave up. It was unpleasant to walk to the TV every time I needed to change channel, adjust voulme and switch off. If I put the volume up using the manual key the TV will go off and you have to be quite gentle and adjust how you press. Room rate is reasonable in a city where everything is overpriced. PIZZA was good and value for money. The restaurant however charges like injured bull and not really value for mony. I ate twice and preferred to eat outside as there are some good eating places in the city where I was working. In terms of security it was ok as nothing happened during my stay. Room service is ok as cleaning ladies try their best to keep rooms clean. I havnt tried a Weigh Inn however local staff suggested its better than Shady & room rates are competitive as well.

Room Tip: Dont make a mistake of paying upfron for a long stay instead pay for few days and try out the place...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hidden T
illuzone, Manager at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for your review. Our staff have been made aware of your concerns and experience.
We are not sure who you had approached at the Hotel but the Management would have definitely considered a discount and also replaced the TV in your room. Remotes in PNG do have a way of walking away and sometimes are impossible to replace.

While we do get a lot of compliments for the quality of the food and the size of the servings in our restaurant and our selections range from $7 and up, we can certainly understand and appreciate that not all people will necessarily will be happy. Some items on the menu may seem to be expensive but in a country where everything from vegetables to fruits, spices, milk and even meat are imported, we are forced to decide between offering these items at all to our patrons or put a price that may be considered a little high by some people. We do make an effort to check prices at our competition regularly and in fact keep them at least 10% to 20% less than at comparable establishments. We have, however, asked our Restaurant Manager to revise the Menu and review the prices of the offerings without compromising the quality.

Thank you once again.