The Shady Rest Hotel
US$168
US$164
HIExpress.com
Grand Papua Hotel(Port Moresby)
US$195
Airways Hotel(Port Moresby)
Lamana Hotel(Port Moresby)
  • Pool
Ela Beach Hotel(Port Moresby)
Laguna Hotel(Port Moresby)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscellar restaurantaffordable hotelpizzaindian foodnight's sleepwalk aroundworld classgreat place to staycurryair conditioningportkenyanonsitesecuritycleanlinessreceptionistatm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My 2nd stay reinforced my view of the 1st stay. Excellent!
From the welcoming staff that collected us at the airport, to the wonderful & cheerful staff at check in, the kind gentlemen assisting our bags to our room, the very quick & helpful staff who catered for us and the very efficient & professional cleaners, I cant fault any part of our stay.
Those of us visiting from Australia, were very appreciative of the way we were treated. Catering for a large group seemed no hassle in anything we needed. Basketball PNG appreciates all that the Staff at Shady Rest did for us. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank aaron a
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at Shady Rest Hotel. Considering all the other hotels in Port Moresby, this is definitely one of the good spots. The turnaround time of getting my booking acknowledge was great. Great friendly staff & service at the hotel is far above the best in town. During my stay in Port Moresby, I went to another premier hotel to have dinner. The service give to customers was slow and really bad. But when I compared that to Shady rest, their service was the best. For example, the restaurant is by far the best in town. Best authentic Indian restaurant in town, pizza was the best (I thought I was having Pizza hut). Best peppered steak I have had in a long time. And what surprises me is that their have great coffee and latte was well, thought I was in Melbourne. Great menu selection to choice from + the staff were great.
Definitely try the new studio rooms, Very very nice. Any ways, thanks shady rest for making my stay a pleasant one. Definitely home away from home. Excellent.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bozzn
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This month I stayed on two seperate occassions at Shady Rest Hotel in POM as part of a group tour from Australia.
The great service started when I got fast feeback via email of my booking request. My request was ignored by all other main POM hotels I contacted (other than the Lammna)
Due to price considerations of the group, we choose the Shady Rest and this proved to be a great chioce. The attention to us by all staff was excellent and efficient. Airline pickups were on time and efficient. Checkin friendly. Rooms were well priced, clean and modern. When we needed help with airline confirmation staff were happy to oblige, happy and efficient.
Our laundry was handled efficently and with great attention to detail.

We dinned at the onsite restaurant (which was a good deal even if the decor is a bit old fashioned compared to international standards, but why would you be in PNG if that mattered?) and the Micks Pizza outlet which was very convienient. The onsite ATM was a godsend.

The overall experince was of a high standard and it is clear that Management is attending to details in a very thorough mannner. Please keep up the good work.

I would recommend this hotel for value for money for any international visitor to PNG

I now have a new regular POM hotel.

Neil Hermes
Niugini Discoveries

Room Tip: Choose room on north side facing preschool to get best outlook and quietest nights sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Neil H
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Well, Papua New Guinea "the Land of the Unexpected" is the most expensive place I have ever been and I have been to more than 100, and is also the one where you get the least for your money. The Shady Rest hotel is well in this category as for $170 per night, you get a very, very musty smelly room with a terrible bathroom. As we complain to the desk about the smell, they send someone with a spray bottle and then on top of the musty smell, the room smelled strawberry. You had to laugh at this. I agree with everything that Paubranco said about this place. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank nomade123
SRHManagement, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for your review. We apologise for and appreciate your letting us know the deficiency in the room that you stayed in. We would be much obliged if you would kindly inform us of the date of stay and the number of the room you were given as well as who you approached at the front office.

Our policy has always been to offer a different room or even a free upgrade to our new rooms, if and when available, whenever a patron is justifiably unhappy with his/her current room. The information that you provide will help us investigate further the deficiencies of the room as well as why our Front Officer Manager did not follow our awoved policy in this particular instance. This information will definitely help us in bringing the room(s) upto spec and in proactively preventing such incidents occurring to our valued clients in the future. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was in Port Moresby last weekend and enquired for prices in lots of motels and the prices were surprising, I enquired at this motel and was told that it costed K319.00 for a premium room that i decided to purchase for 3 nights and it was really good, my wife and i really enjoyed it staying there. It was also quite and the VIP bar had some karaoke beats going on and we loved seeing that, but a slow quite local life band at the bar next time will be entertaining. I'll be traveling to Port Moresby next weekend and hope the price will remain the same.
Thanks Shady Rest for a good price in and expensive city.
Any visitors or tourist planning to travel to Port Moresby, than I recommend this place for you and your partner. Happy Holidays.

Room Tip: Just enquire for the price that suits you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dudAustralia
illuzone, Owner at The Shady Rest Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Thank you for your review and suggestions. We are happy to have made your stay a pleasant one. We will definitely explore the possibility of hiring a local band on some nights playing some soft nice music.

The new prices are part of our 15th Anniversary Celebration special and we intend to keep them valid, and will do our best to maintain them, until at least February 2013.

We are sure you will enjoy your stay this weekend with us again and please feel free to contact the General Manager or any our Management staff for any special requests.