Ela Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed 19 June 2010

This hotel is at best a 3 star - but it is incredibly overpriced at about 750 Kina per night ($350 AUD). The rooms are OK - fairly basic. My main issues were with the staff and their cleaning of the pool deck at night. They used a scrubbing bash broom which made a terrible noise up through the 3 level rooms above the pool.

Add to this the constant stacking and re-stacking of the aluminium chairs in the pool area at between 0300 and 0500 hours and the stream of drunks yelling and fighting as they leave particularly on Friday and Saturday mornings - and you get a bit of an idea.

Security is an issue. There is only one layer of security and that is the room door itself. I had my wallet stolen from my room (which was the last straw for me - it is then that I bailed out and went elsewhere).

A collegue who was one floor down told me that he had a drunk local come and try to break into his room - making claims that the room was his and that my collegue was an intruder. Calls to the front desk raised no security response!

Going to the duty manager with a complaint made no difference and I had 3 nights without sleep before I bailed out. One of the previous reviewers mentioned that the staff were great - UNTIL you complain. I agree with that 100%. This is a hotel where service is a concept either not understood or not engaged with by the staff.

The secure car park is meant for guests only - but on a Thursday or Friday nights security let just anyone park in there. So drive back about midnight on one of these nights and you'll be lucky to get a park.

The pool is for house guests only but on a long weekend there are dozens of locals in there.

The food in the restuarant is quite good and the pizzas are great. But if you order room service expect your meal to arrive cold and after a very long delay. That happened to me twice.

The cleanilness of the rooms is questionable. I had a mouse in my room - now a mouse doesn't worry me too much but some people would be unhappy with that. The room also had several gekkos running up the walls.

The bed was comfortable and had it not been for the constant noise I would have had a reasonable nights sleep.

One indicator to me about how a hotel is caring for its guests is the equipment that the hotel provide. Ela Beach provides the cheapest gear it can. Toasters and irons are the cheapest and nastiest that could be found on the market. The iron in my room had no effective heat control and it burnt one of my shirts. Again - a complaint brings little joy.

If you only need a room for one or two nights - AND it is early in the week - AND you don't get a room overlooking the pool deck you might be alright - as long as you don't complain.

I shifted to the Holiday Inn - where the rooms have all just been renovated and I rate the Holiday Inn much MUCH higher...and it has 4 layers of security before you get to your room AND it is quiet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Haydn M

Reviewed 26 May 2010

If available chose a suite instead of a regular room, even if price is higher. Be sure that internet signal (paying service) reaches your room , which is not always the case...).The hotel is clean and quite except for the Thursday to Friday evenings, when karaoke music in the bar plays loud. Upper floor (level 3 above ground) is cooler and more silent.

Staff is friendly (at the reception desk Mr Duncan is indeed the person to see-he will provide anything that you may need...). Wake-up call sometimes fails.

Ground floor restaurant provides a basic permanent menu (slightly expensive, for the quality but there is no alternative in the immediate vicinity. Breakfast however is really poor (my advice: keep in your room's refrigerator your favorite snacks).

There is an open-air swiming pool as well as a hair dresser within hotel premises. Security is good, day and night within premises. No ATM nearby but visa card is accepted.

The elevator is often out of service but a Security Guard will assist in moving the luggage upstairs.

Accomodation and services (including laundry) are expensive for the overall level of quality. However more expensive hotels (there are 3or 4 with a better "prestige rating") will probably not be worth the excess fee; most of these are also not so centrally located in town, except maybe the Crown Plazza).

Important warning: do not walk on the streets by yourself. even at daylight. The reception desk will call a raxi for you.

Enjoy Port Moresby and PNG

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2009

After staying for 3 night at Lamana hotel, I decided to move to Ela beach. It's cheaper, close to the beach, and people said they have the best pizza in town.
The only thing I don't like during my stay here was the noise from the bar. Luckyly, the bar only open for 2 or 3 days per week, not everyday. So, during my 4 nights stay in this hotel, I only have 1 sleepless night.
The room itself is not too fancy, simple but clean. they also provide iron and ironing board which is very useful especially for someone who stay for few days.
The swimming pool is in the middle of the hotel, not big, and not many people seemed to be interested in swimming, only some kids particularly during the weekend.
The restaurant has a selection of great food. In port Moresby standard, it's one of the best. It's always full during dinner time.
I would recommend the hotel to anyone who don't mind having a standard room, love the sea breeze and want to have good food during their stay in Port Moresby.
When I left the hotel, they are renovating and plan to add more rooms.
One more thing, there's an art market every Saturday in a place near the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Our tour group stayed at the Ela Beach Hotel both before and after our tour. We were met at the airport by a courtesy bus for the drive to the hotel, which was in a reasonable pleasant location across the road from the beach. Check-in was very swift, something I thought would be prolonged because of the size of our group. Our room was clean and tidy and the air-co very efficient. I was extremely impressed by the standard of service. Every staff member, from the front desk to the security men, the laundry staff and the restaurant staff couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant. If I wanted to go to the market etc a security member offered to travel with me. Every request ( from clothes pegs to take on my trek to an extra blanket) were carried out promtply. Service for drinks and food around the pool was excellent, in fact I couldn't fault this hotel at all. Would most definitley stay there again and recommend to all.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank lornaNsw
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Good things about this hotel:
Staff are reasonably friendly if you get them on side - until you complain about something.
Lovely courtyard, pool and restaurant.
Food is quite good if a little expensive.

I was one of the first guests to stay at the Ela Beach after the refurbishments and renovations. Back then the service was fine and the rooms much improved. On this stay (my 5th), the rooms have become tired and poorly maintained. In my Standard Room, I was disgusted to find holes in the bath towels, stains on the linen and hand towel, and BETEL NUT SPIT on the curtains. No kidding.
The floor seems to have built up a layer of grease or cleaning product and is slimey to walk on - it's really quite gross. The slimy floors have been in the last 3 rooms I've stayed in. The bed 'linen' is actually a thin cotton blend sheet - no blanket or throw or anything. The pillows stink of old sweat and body odour, I had to cover them with my 'holey' towel. I was continually woken up by the sound of the airconditioner, which rattled so much that I preferred to have it off and sweat it out. When I asked reception to have it fixed, they said they weren't sure if it could be fixed! ????
Also, I flew in from Brisbane and waited over 1hr for the courtesy shuttle to pick me up (the website promises a shuttle every 15 mins), during which time I was hassled by drunks and street urchins (I am female, travelling solo). I called the hotel 4 times during that period and was told "the bus is there now" by reception staff each time. No apology, and even the duty manager was downright indifferent. When I finally arrived at the hotel, by then furious but more shaken by my ordeal at the airport, the reception staff seemed to think I was making a fuss about nothing. "No apology?" I asked. "Very sorry ma'am", the receptionist said, and then actually turned to her colleague and rolled her eyes.
That night, after discovering the little gross-eties in my room, I ordered room service from a very rude person (another one!) in the restaurant. The pizza arrived on time and was absolutely delicious. I woke up sick at 2am and missed a whole day of work with vomiting and diarrhoea. I try to switch hotels, but the only other hotel in my price range is fully booked.
On my second night, I could not get to sleep due to construction on the hotel's further renovations happening right under my window. When I called reception, they had finally had a change of heart and were extremely courteous and apologetic about the noise. I asked to be moved at 10:30pm but they didn't return my call to confirm whether I could. At midnight I was still tossing and turning, and was put in touch with the night duty manager. What a lovely man. He should be on the day shift. He struck all the right tones and didn't make me feel like a pain in the *$$ for complaining - he personally showed me to a room upstairs and away from the noise. Though I only got 5 hours sleep, his service and attentiveness made me feel so much better.
However, I would never stay at this hotel again. The service is consistently bad, and the housekeeping atrocious. It's so obvious that the hotel's expatriate manager does not take pains to check on anything - I have stayed at the hotel 5 times in the past three years and I have never laid eyes on him or his predecessor. It's daylight robbery at over $250 a night in a STANDARD room. I can get a suite at a Brisbane CBD hotel for that price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank triptrex
Reviewed 22 March 2009

This is very underrated hotel. It's very well located very close to "Town" and recently has had a very major upgrade. I stayed in one of the older rooms, so can't comment on what the new rooms in the Premier suite are like. The older rooms (backing on to the hill) are fairly small and basic, but clean. The rate is very variable with the special weekend rate being very good value. The restaurant (brasserie) is excellent, serving a great variety of dishes. The coffee, seafood and steaks are excellent, and the beers well priced. The atmosphere is very convivial on most nights. The service is very good and there is wireless internet (Datec). Very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank fitzrovians
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Didn't have high hopes for this hotel but was pleasantly surprised.

Clean rooms, friendly staff, attached bar and pokies (slot machine gambling), excellent restaurant.

Most hotels seem to use salt water for their swimming pools, but that doesn't keep the expats from availing of the pool services daily.

The attached serviced appartments have the best view, overlooking the pool area.

Ela Beach Brasserie seems to be a very popular restaurant, serving very nice steaks, freshly made pizza in their display kitchen and a host of drinks. Guests enjoying the pool services or wishing a smoke may do so poolside while having their meals served to them.

The rather antique elevator is exciting - you have to press the buttons several times to get the doors to close and the elevator to floor levels ALMOST line up (+ / - 2 inches).

All in all, a pleasant stay, though the pest control standards around and in the the restaurant have to be upgraded (crushed 2 out of 3 mini roaches around my table). It may have been the weather though. Regardless, the restaurant was full most nights and with expats too, probably the not so squeamish ones.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Torge