“Surprising and refreshing experience”
Review of Grand Papua Hotel

Grand Papua Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
New York City, New York
“Surprising and refreshing experience”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very pleased with the kindness of the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel itself. Spent a significant amount of time on business but chose to dine at the grand brasserie. Couldn’t be more pleased with the hands on management. The chefs and waitstaff were more than willing to share their knowledge and suggestions on menu items. Extremely impressed with the quality and freshness of their dishes. Greatly looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Chaya2323

We too look forward to your next stay with us.
Thank you for the great compliments and we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed our Grand Brasserie and the quality of our menu items.

Thank you again from Team Grand Papua hotel
Alex Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Very good business hotel .. Nice rooms .. Free wifi in the club along with breakfast and drinks.. No free wifi in rest of hotel. Restaurant is good .. Great steaks .. Give the vanilla icecream the miss ;) beautiful 360 degree views over Port Moresby

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear mschmidt83

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Grand Papua hotel. Feedback as yours is a huge motivator for our hard working team and we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast, nice rooms, great steaks and vanilla ice cream.

Mschmidt83 we will be offering Free Wifii throughout the hotel soon but let us know of your return to offer some great options currently available for internet.

Be assured each and every single employee will view these feedback and we all look forward to your return soon.

Fiji
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a very good business hotel:

Pro's:
Excellent location
Easy parking
Very secure
Excellent breakfasts in the Exec Lounge
Very good Wi-Fi in the Exec Lounge
Great rooms, kept clean and great views
Great service generally from check in to check out and all in between, particularly in the lounge

Cons: (not many!)
A little bit pricey by international standards but comparable to others in Port Moresby
Could have a bit more choice on the room service menu
Wi-Fi in rooms subject to a different deal

This is a hotel of high standards, Port Moresby isn't the easiest place to feel 100% comfortable, but they manage it here. I would strongly recommend a room deal which includes the Executive Lounge access, it makes things happens so much more smoothly.

Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel have great views, one of the harbour, the other of the ocean
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank De_Chook
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear De_Chook

My team and I are thankful and appreciative of your great compliments and great feedback

We wish to inform you we will make further changes to our room service menu in May and will launch FREE internet from June.

We all look forward to your next visit soon

Nadi, Fiji
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at the Grand Papua in Port Moresby for 3 days on business and could not complain. Great central location, safe and secure. The staff were friendly, and professional, the room was very nice, clean, comfortable and had all the necessities. Wifi was expensive, but then internet services in PNG is generally not reliable and expensive. The facilities are nicely appointed, the view from the gym is tranquil, especially after a hectic hot day in POM. This would be my first choice to any business travelers in POM.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LspF1j1
Dear LspF1j1

Thank you for the lovely compliments and for choosing to stay with us recently at the Grand Papua hotel. We do understand how expensive PNG as a destination for all corporate travelers hence we wish to advise you we will offer FREE internet from late June.
LspF1j1, I am glad you enjoyed our popular gymnasium on the 15th level and the safety and security of our hotel in downtown Port Moresby?

Thank you for the recommendations and we all look forward to your return visit soon

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Grand Hotel is the newest hotel in Port Moresby’s business district, just next to the Crowne Plaza. The rooms are nicely decorated; equipped with comfortable beds, a resting chair, writing desk, refrigerator, LCD TV and safe. A kettle for tea/coffee and two bottles of water are provided. The bathroom is clean and bright. Internet is shamefully overpriced and slow.
The breakfast buffet is richly garnished, but is not included in the room rate. Considering the price and being in a tropical country; I expect some exotic fruits and not only pineapple and papaya. The quality of rolls and pastries is good.
Unfortunately there are no traditional snacks served in the bar. It is trendy to serve fish gujons with pineapple fritters or guacamole dips, instead of a simple fish + chips or a hamburger. A diner in the restaurant with a drink costs not less than USD 50.-. Just a few steps away, the Crowne Plaza serves traditional bar food and less complicated meals at a more affordable price.
The hotel has a swimming pool which in its size offers a refreshing dip but probably not a swim..
Port Moresby is not a city for walking around or a holiday resort. Everything is overpriced. There is simply nothing worthwhile to shop or to explore nearby the hotel. Security is an issue. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport. The Papua Grand belongs to the group that manages the ELA Beach hotel. The Grand Papua is probably the best option in town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Riesst
Dear Riesst

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Grand Papua hotel. We agree due to security and safety having the Crowne Plaza next door offers more options for our guests and its only a short walk away?
Riesst we certainly will use these great feedbacks in achieving more consistent standards and we will make necessary changes with more options in the coming weeks.

I thank you for recommending the Grand Papua hotel as the best option in Port Moresby and we all look forward to your return soon

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Itll cost about $50 a day to get access to internet and the "executive " lounge. Now dont think this makes it exclusive. 2 staff dealing with hoards or people rightfully expecting service, food and drinks.
There is no internet available within the hotel except for the lounge.
Chaos seems to rule here.
Recent changes to F&B staff also causing quality to fluctuate daily.

Room Tip: Either face the "city" or Ella beach side. Ella beach is more tranquil, whereas the city...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FNQer
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear FNQer

Thank you for your great feedback and for joining us at the Executive Lounge during your recent stay. I am sincerely sorry for the appalling lack of service you experienced at our Executive Lounge. The lounge is getting very popular and feedback as yours will allow my team and I to focus on improving our position following the recent changes in our Food & Beverage department as you highlighted

Once again thank you and the Grand Papua hotel team look forward to your next stay with us and I am confident you will enjoy further changes we undertaking

Alex Wilson and Staff
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Having stayed at many hotels in Port Moresby and throughout the region you often have a preconceived idea as to what to expect. I have stayed at the Grand Papua previously and on those occasions had very little time to enjoy the hotel due to work commitments. This trip I had one of my staff staying with me and we were very happy with not only the service but the quality of the hotel itself. On a more particular note on the day of checkout we left our luggage at the hotel to collect later that day and when we returned one of the porters (named Roger) on the front desk asked me if I was in room 1603 and I replied yes and he said "When I went up to check your room I noticed you had left your iPod on the docking station and I gave it to my manager". A few minutes later I was presented my IPod in a yellow envelope with my name on it. I would have come back to stay anyway but this just ensured my continued patronage - Well Done!! Grand Papua and "Roger" your honesty is very much appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AndrewGisinger
Dear Andrew Gisinger

Thank you for your lovely compliments and endorsing the Grand Papua hotel of its hospitality, quality and honesty. Roger has been recognized and congratulated for his honesty and we will award him and others in our monthly “Staff Tea Party”.
I personally thank you for bringing this to our attention and we all look forward to your return visit soon

Alex Wilson and Staff