“Frustrating Mix of Good, Mediocre, and just bad...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Port Moresby

Crowne Plaza Port Moresby
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Brisbane, Australia
“Frustrating Mix of Good, Mediocre, and just bad...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

My stay at the Crowne Plaza was a frustrating mix of good and bad, which started before even arriving at the hotel.

Given that the great majority of visitors to Port Moresby are business-travellers and that there are generally only a couple of international arrivals per day, one might think that the Crowne would make an effort to actually have their shuttle bus meet the incoming flights. But no, despite representatives of almost every other hotel in town being at the airport - no-one from the Crowne. Eventually a rep for another hotel took pity on me (and a couple of others) and called the hotel on our behalf, after which we waited another 30 minutes or so for the bus to arrive. No apologies, nothing. Grumpy driver…

After a smooth check-in, I was escorted to my room only to find that the air-con didn't work. The porter insisted that the room would cool down, but after waiting 45 minutes for this to happen, I called the front-desk and asked for maintenance to come and check the air-con. After another 2 calls (more on that later) they finally arrived and after a couple of minutes fiddling with the thermostat and concerned looks, announced that it was in fact, dead. They also mentioned that pretty much the whole of the 9th floor was suffering the same problem, Long story short:- I finally received a room with functioning air-con on the 3rd attempt, and after sitting in the Club Lounge for 40 minutes whilst the Manager found a room with working air-con.

For most of the rest of my stay things went smoothly enough except for a curious fact:- SPOONS!
It appears that spoons must be higlhy-valued and in short supply at the Crowne, because almost without exception, every time I ate in the restaurant over the next 12 days, I had to ask for spoons. Tea-spoon for coffee/Tea? hah… Breakfast buffet with a big spread of cereals, fruit etc, things that would be eaten from a bowl with spoons, but no spoons on the tables or buffet. Asking for one would evoke much action and apologies and I would get my spoon. This became a running joke with the staff every day, but spoons never appeared on the tables or the buffet my entire stay.

The last irritating thing at the Crowne is the complete lack of courtesy and service when trying to achieve anything when using the phone. Any request would get a 'call you back" which needless to say, never came. My last night, I had to call housekeeping 5 times before I finally managed to get laundry delivered back to my room. No explanations, nothing. Room service? Wait 1hr and call - 'we'll call you back" - err.. no you won't.

The Crowne used to be able to get away with this kind of couldn't-care-less attitude and poor room maintenance because it was the only game in town if you wanted to be in town and at a half-decent hotel. Over the last couple of years, a great many business-people and visiting Consultants nd so on have gravitated away to either the Grand Papua and/or the Airways. At K900 (USD400) per night, we deserve better.

Room Tip: One with working air-con. Don't be fobbed-off.....
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the level of service you received. It is definitely not acceptable and your feedback has been shared with the team.

I understand how frustrating some of the situations you have described can be and we are working hard to train our team to better look after our guests.

If you do choose to stay with us again I ask that you contact me personally so that I can ensure a great experience.

David Bowen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I can not believe this Hotel carries the very good name of Crowne Plaza our bookings were stuffed up( so glad I took my iPad to prove it had been booked and payed for) room was dirty and smelt of mould we had no towels. food was average but I must admit the staff were very friendly.This Hotel is in need of a serious update to bring it in line with Crowne Plaza standards.

Room Tip: Stay at Airways
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 10 December 2012

Travellers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed at the Crowne due to domestic flight cancellation, so was at the expense of Air Niugini, perhaps this had a bearing on how ordinary we found it. Our room was clean, and so was the bathroom, but unfortunately an unpleasant musty smell in the room. The bed was very comfortable, but the bed covering (bedspread) was not looking so clean. Nothing at all in minibar and after 4 calls to try and get some bottled water we gave up. We ate in the restaurant which was pleasant enough and food was of reasonable standard.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 4 December 2012

Please accept my apologies for the level of service you received. It is defiantly not our usual standard and I have personally spoken to our Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Housekeeper to prevent it occurring again.

We were very pleased to hear you found our rooms and bathroom clean and beds comfortable.

Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I have had a 47 year association with PNG & I've seen this hotel from it's birth (under a different brand) & I've stayed here many times, had many a fine meal and enjoyed the company of friends at numerous functions. I stayed here again this month on a visit to Port Moresby, and while the staff did their best to make my stay as comfortable as possible (for which I say "thank you"), the Crown Plaza is now a rather tired old lady, resting on her laurels of a bygone era. The hotel needs refurbishing, from top to bottom. Gone are those halcyon days, with average 80% occupancy and little competition. It's time for this hotel to re-invent itself!

1 Thank 255069GeeBee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear 255069GeeBee,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations regarding being dated. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ballston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I left the Grand Papua Hotel and moved over to the Crowne Plaza because not only could they provide me internet service, they gave me access to the executive lounge. It was a great deal. The internet worked fine and I was happy on that score.

The staff were very responsive and took great care of me. The breakfast good, the bacon among the best I have ever tasted. Also, the fresh scones were to die for. In the lounge, evening happy hour, wine was open pour, hard liquor on request. The grazing was good (not great, but pretty good), and one could easily make dinner of it. My room was clean, the bed excellent, and I slept well. There is a nice pool and a small spa if you want some very competent pampering. It is not a new hotel. If you have to have shiny, go next door. But for service orientation, good dining, and friendly staff, choose the CP.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 22 November 2012

We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular liked our Club Lounge and breakfast facilities.

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our team. They work extremely hard every day to ensure our guests have a great experience when staying at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby and they will take a lot of inspiration from your feedback.

Hong KOng
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

They call the country land of the unexpected and that's OK, but if you want to experience the hotel of excuses try this property if you want to believe in incompetence, excuses and absolutely the worst service in the world. When you ask for something expect fairy tales and happy horse.
I have stayed here several times and it's always the same, of course I'm forever hopeful that it's changed it hasn't. Management never replies and even a simple request for some ice takes 4 requests and then the usual answer is there is no ice left. Go down to the lounge and you will see ice. Bad Food, Bad service and Bad attitude shrouded by polite incompetence.

Room Tip: If you can get a room less than 400 consider yourself lucky
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 9 November 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for level of service you received. It is definitely not the usual level of service here at the hotel.

I have personally reviewed your feedback with our team to ensure the issues you have highlighted are rectified.

I have also sent you a personal message with my contact details for you to contact me when you next travel to Port Moresby so that I can ensure you have a great stay if you choose to stay with us.

Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Enjoyed a 3-night stay. Made my booking online and found myself on 6th floor which entitled me to club amenities (private lounge, gym, etc) although I did not have the time to use them. Room was a good size (two queen-size beds) , modern and very clean and had a good view of the city centre. TV reception was good and room was air conditioned. Extras included security safe and ironing board. Only niggle was lateness of room servicing (not till late afternoon on one of the days). A feature I much appreciated was the elevator security card access to the guest room areas. In fact the standard of general security at the Crown was very reassuring (a must in Port Moresby). Main restaurant staff very welcoming, menu was varied and good value buffet meals were on offer. All staff encountered were very polite, friendly and helpful. One area I found could be improved was the business centre. The computers provided were tired and very very slow. In the end I gave up trying to use the internet. Any regular traveller to Port Moresby will understand that exorbitant prices and indifferent service are par for the course. But on this occasion I can say I enjoyed my stay at the Crown Plaza and will return there on my next business trip.

Room Tip: I only tried one room and it was very good: very clean, well furnished, quiet with good city view a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kiwi_Wanderer
TimPollockGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Kiwi_Wanderer, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby. I am pleased to read that we met most of your expectations. I note your points regarding the lateness of room servicing and the less than satisfactory products in the business centre. In regard to the room servicing, when you are next staying with us , please advise us of your preferred servicing time and we will ensure your room is done at that time. The business centre products will be rectified over the coming months. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards