“Old and Broken”

Crowne Plaza Port Moresby
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Rooms on levels 3 & 4 stink avoid at all cost. Also if possible avoid "jointing" rooms as you never know who is on the other side or if they will fight all night. The carpet is disgusting with stains. The hotel needs to rebuilt. Pondos is the bar and is disgraceful. I use to visit frequently however I will be choosing a new hotel.

Room Tip: Non Smoking is a must.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Stewart M, Executive Assistant Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear CairnsOne,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

We are disappointed to read of the substandard experience whilst at the hotel, and please accept our sincere apologies for this. I have shared these comments with the Leadership team as we continually try to improve our facilities and services offered at the hotel.

I would like to discuss your concerns directly if possible. If you would like to add anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on stewart.manson@ihg.com.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 April 2014

No wonder theres a room special on, the place is old and tired. Dont know where they found that room picture, seems they did a renovation of the room for publicity purposes. The formal dining room is nice, but again quite expensive considering the decor. The cafe seems to offer the best value, but you get what you pay for...

Room Tip: A view over the pool is better scenery. Happy hour is very good if you can get access to the execu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FNQer
Stewart M, Executive Assistant Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear FNQer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

Please accept my apologies that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been shared with our leadership team as we continually try to improve the products and service offerings.

I recognise that you are currently staying in Port Moresby, and would be interested to hear any further suggestions you have. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on stewart.manson@ihg.com or drop in to the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hotel is in a moderately rough part of town. Definitely not advisable to be wandering around at night. There are even some hair raising incidents that occur on the hotel grounds, so it pays to remain alert.

Food in the restaurant is fair. Rooms are tired and shabby with worn, stain carpeting. Sheets are wrinkled and threadbare but appear to be clean (whew!).Cleaning of bathroom between guests could have been more thorough.

Staff seem harried and/or tired, but do try to make an effort.

Could be worse.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Livetowander
David B, Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Livetowander,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review after your recent stay. I was disappointed to read that your experience with us was not to your standard. I have shared your comments with our leadership team to target area's for improvement.

We place the safety and security of our guests as the number one priority, so it was concerning to read that you experienced some negative incidents. I would like the opportunity to discuss these directly, if you would like to contact me, please do so via email on stewart.manson@ihg.com.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

“398743298% better than Moresby Inn!!”

Pending review

I spent a few weeks travelling solo around PNG using public transport and flying with Air PNG.
If you haven't been there then you should know a few things; there is little infrastructure connecting the different provinces and what is there is some of the worst I have seen in any of my travels.
Also if planning to fly around the country at all that flights are few and far between, extremely expensive(as is everything in the country) and are unreliable- you can wait hours for your flight to leave and sometimes the flight will end up being cancelled last minute for no particular reason.
My plan was to avoid Port Moresby all together as I had heard nothing good about the place, far from it but my only hope to get to the airport rto catch my international flight on time was to spend 3 days there at the end of my trip due to the lack of infrastructure and the fact that there were absolutely no flights that I could find (even via other cities) that would get me back in time.
While at the airport I looked on the window of the travel agency at a list of available accommodation and after ringing a bunch of them found most were either b ooked out or entirely out of my budget.
I ended up booking a room at Moresby Inn at $120 per night and headed in to town.

My expectations of Moresby were non existent, the city is the worst in the world and the only place I have felt extremely unsafe-witnessing a murder in the street, criminals fleeing police in the streets and being targeted by scammers the entire time I was there.

When I got to Moresby Inn(which is not listed on trip advisor that I can find) the staff seemed friendly enough, the place didn't look like anything wonderful that's for certain but having been in PNG for a few weeks I knew you couldn't expect much for your money and paid for 3 days up front.

Big Mistake! I got to the room and my feet were sticking to the floor it was filthy, there were rats running around, literally everything in the room was dirty beyong belife, there was pee all over the toilet and bathroom floor, I didn't even attempt the shower, the entire room stunk of smoke and there was ash everywhere.
The bed was rock hard and bedding filthy, complimentary condoms were all over the end of the bed(?!), I decided (only to be polite!) to stick it out one night which was literally the worst sleepless night of my life- I threw a sarong over the bed and waited for morning to request a refund.
I was sure that somebody would break in to my room at any point in the night.
All night there were bottles smashing against the back wall of my room and screaming (I assume this is the bar mentioned in somebody else's review?).

The next morning after no sleep I requested a refund and the girl begrudging oblidged (she wasn't as friendly, obviously offended!).
I then went accross the street to the Crowne Plaza, which while much more expensive at about $220 a night I was only more than happy to pay this for a safe, comforatable place to spend the last 2 days in PNG.

The staff seemed nice, the room was definitely the best of all the places I stayed in PNG, except for In Wewak Boutique Hotel (by far the best!) was comforatable and had everything I needed.

My only complaints about staff was that I was hassled by a security guard (in the way you do in the streets by scam artists) and that the cleaning staff barged in to my room despite my having hung out the 'do not disturb' sign to indicate that I did not require a service.

The breakfast buffet was great and I ordered room service from the restuarant 2 nights which was pleasant.

I also took advantage of the laundry service which in PNG is a ridiculously expensive charge by item service- one wash cost me in excess of $50 AUD for maybe 1/2 a load of washing!

The internet room is a waste of time and some scam artist managed to get through securityt and started hassling me there while I was obviously trying to use the internet -which was also rather expensive-time ticking away!

I also had trouble every time I tried to go out anywhere, people elsewhere in PNG are genuinely friendly and lovely but Port Moresby is full of dangerous people and scam artists who will try and target white people (especially women like myself).

My recommednation is to avoid Port Moresby if at al possible, otherwise pay a little extra to stay at a place such as Crowne Plaza, even just to treat yourself to some comforts after roughing it in the wilderness and jungle of PNG.

Room Tip: stay here and not Moresby Inn!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank AquariumRescueUnit
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear AquariumRescueUnit

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay in Port Moresby.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff nice and enjoyed breakfast and in room dining options. I have spoken to our Security Manager regarding the attitude of our guard, as guest security is our main priority at the hotel. Also, please accept our apologies for the interruption from Housekeeping, this has also been followed up with our Executive housekeeper.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Firstly, this is 4/5 for Port Moresby standards, probably more like a 3 elsewhere. I stayed in a cub room, king bed, work table good size. I had a view over the beach on the 7th floor. Room was clean and comfortable, everything worked including the air-condition which just managed to take the edge of the heat but did not cool the room significantly. Foxtel and digital TV was a surprise, including Australian TV network. Good security and on the club floors they have swipe card access, so I felt safe and there were guards around the hotel and grounds.
Breakfast was in the Rappala restaurant, full buffet. The club lounge offered complimentary drinks and canpes from 5:30 to 6:30, a hour which was a surprise as most club lounges offered this for 2 hours, so if you are not going to be back in time then it is not worth it. Ate in the Ruppala restaurant 3 nights for dinner, food was very good but a little expensive (probably due to the fact that it was all imported). There was always a good selection of dishes, and they were average size servings

I could not connect to the wifi in the club so I used the 2 computers there, but on some occasions the hotel informed us that the internet was down for the day. So do not reply on it.

Room Tip: get an executive club floor.
2  Thank WorldTraveller5star
David B, Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns raised from your stay. I have shared your review with our leadership team to ensure that these area's do not occur again in the future

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the Club lounge and Rapala experience.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel needs refurbishment, massive refurbishment. Due to lack of supply, prices in PNG are extremely high. Service quality is below expectations at this price.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, PNG has a shuttle service for airport pick and drop. They have two types of breakfast, one for all guests, and the other for executive floor people. Gym has few equipment. I never saw it too busy.
Staff is courteous, that perhaps is the only positive side of story.
For me, the Indian restaurant just opposite the hotel was place for dinner. Rooms on the main road side are noisy.

Room Tip: Try non-smoking rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Please accept my apologies that we were unable to deliver an experience to your expectations. Your comments will be shared with the team as we continually try to improve our service offerings.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Our team are currently in Port Moresby interviewing students and the hotel we are staying at ( next to Crowne Plaza) has no facilities available for the next two days for us to continue our interviews.
We went to speak to the friendly staff at Crowne Plaza who went out of their way to assist us.
The young man on duty at the front desk did everything to ensure we have a meeting place tomorrow. Thanks too to the security personnel who safely escorted us back to our hotel.
We will be booking with Crowne Plaza on our next visit to Port Moresby.

1  Thank Mark M

It is fantastic to read your feedback and we shall celebrate this with the team.