“Some improvements since last visit but really needs upgrade”

Holiday Inn Port Moresby
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
“Some improvements since last visit but really needs upgrade”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is my second time at Port Moresby HI after a lengthy gap. Read on to find out what's happened in the intervening years.

On this occasion I was a paying guest for one night only and stayed in the same 'Tower' wing. As an IHG Plat, I got an instant upgrade to the suite, which was unnecessary but still appreciated. The reception area has been refreshed and is now more light, airy and inviting.The suite itself has been improved somewhat since my last visit and was spacious with separate living area (complete with kitchenette) and bedroom. It was clean throughout, including the bathroom, which was stocked with standard Holiday Inn branded toiletries.The furniture was basic but well made and of a type common in many comfortable urban PNG households.

Unfortunately, the satellite TV was completely unworkable. WiFi connection was about average for PNG, which is slower than what international visitors may be used to; however it is complimentary for IHG members. Now the bed itself did not disappoint and was very comfortable - something I take for granted in every IHG hotel I've stayed at, except for one time in New York (see my previous report). Overall, the room serves its purpose, but did not carry through with the same light, airy modern feel of the lounge. A pity, because overall it did seem on the gloomy side on account of the drapes and terracotta tiles. It definitely does not exude a modern/contemporary feel which you sometimes get at other HI.

I took dinner that night at the outdoor cafe/restaurant. The catering was a mix of international cuisines (Asian and Western) and featured a choice of soups, salads and meat/vegetable dishes. I found it about normal for PNG hotel food, which is OK, but nothing to rave about unless there happens to be local seafood on the menu (which is anything but average!).

For the entire product, it is expensive by global standards, even though many of the expected amenities and finishes are not there. But this is true of other name-brand hotels in Port Moresby. Readers should be aware of this and set their expectations accordingly.

If my report helped in your decision-making, please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive from you dear reader, and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
12 Thank ExLibris76
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear ExLibris76,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to Holiday Inn Port Moresby.

I was pleased to read that your were accorded the appropriate treatment by the team as a valued IHG Rewards Platinium member. We value your Loyalty and thank you for staying with us.

I am somewhat concerned regarding the issues you experienced with the "Hitron" television and would like to better understand the problems you had. I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly so that I can rectify the issues. My e-mail is tim.pollock@ihg.com

I am also pleased to advise that in the last two hours we have again upgraded the speed of the internet within the hotel. We continue to review the usage of internet and it became apparent that further speed was required in order to better meet guest expectations. I have trialled this myself and am happy to report more improvement in the internet service.

I note your comments regarding the rooms being less light and airy than the public areas. We continue to upgrade areas of the hotel and at this point the main focus is on completing the Holiday Inn Express and surrounding areas and the Pool and bar areas.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is much appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you regarding the satellite TV issue.

Tim Pollock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nice location, fresh vegetables, lovely food, breakfast is great, buffet lunch is really nice, i had a great time there. Been there like 8 times already, its pretty nice and people is friendly, sometimes there are plenty of flies, but its good always.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Oneluis

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Port Moresby. I was glad to read that you enjoy your visits with us. I am sure you will enjoy our new outdoor dining area on your next visit to Port Moresby. It is a great place to enjoy your buffet breakfast and lunch!

I note your comment regarding the flies. We have installed appropriate equipment to deal with this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

NSW Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We started and finished our trip to Kokoda from here. It was clean, comfortable and perfect for our needs.

They stored our gear securely for us to collect upon return. We didn't venture out at all except to the "markets" at the front gates which were great to haggle some good art from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Camo31
Dear Camo31,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Port Moresby. I am pleased that the hotel met with your requirements both pre and post your Kokoda adventure! I trust you enjoyed the trek.

The markets are a good place to haggle for some great PNG art. We invite all of the traders into our grounds on the third Saturday of each month to conduct a full art and craft market. This is proving to be a great success.

Again, many thanks for your comments.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hotel is fine with a pool to do some circle swiming in and have a rest on the sunchairs -- which definitely needs replacement. Breakfast was overpriced for what you got. However, more importantly, the hotel feels safe and is fairly comfortable

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Patrik_Kerstin,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay in May 2013.

We are currently completing a refurbishment of the Pool area which will include replacement of the pool furniture.

We have done considerable work on our breakfast buffet and we believe we now have a very good offering for the price.

Again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Holiday Inn and Suites is a great hotel in Port Moresby, Very convieniently located and only 10 minutes drive from the airport is excellent for business. The hotel is clean and comfortable and does have great Wifi excellent resturant facilities and a good pool. It is currently being renovated, so there are works going on. However the renovations do not stop you using any facility. The apartments look great for long term stay. I was only 4 days on a business trip and had no need to leave the hotel for the whole time. They have excellent food, amazingly friendly staff who are very helpful.

The room was spacious, comfortable and had a nice balcony. The TV has cable so plenty of movies and channels. Good desk for working and a great pillow choice for extra comfort. I would absolutely stay there again. The business centre was very helpful from copying to scanning and helped you do what you needed to do quickly. The breakfast buffet had lot's of choice and you could do a buffet or menu option in an evening as well as being very reasonable priced for a hotel. There is a little shop on site with basic essentials and snacks if you need, and the room service was quick as well as having plenty of choice.

It is important to have a place in Port Moresby where you do not need to venture out, so this is a great option. Thanks to all the great staff for making my stay memorable.

Room Tip: high floor you have great views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Adrian_Ace,

Many thanks for posting your review of the Holiday Inn Port Moresby. It was great to read that your experience with us met with your expectations and enabled you to have a hassle free stay.

Our aim is to provide a precinct in Port Moresby that will allow you to remain at the hotel to conduct both your business and enjoy some leisure time and I am glad that what we offer enabled you to do this on your visit.

I was especially pleased to read that the team made your stay a memorable one. I will most definitely pass on your feedback to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn in the future.

Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Over the years I have stayed at the Holiday Inn many times. Most often as temporary accommodation prior to finding long term accommodation for assignments in Port Moresby.

In February 2014 I inspected the new apartments that had just opened. I immediately gave notice to the owners of my previous apartment and moved to the Holiday Inn in March 2014. I have not regretted it one bit.

As a previous reviewer mentioned the new wing is fantastic. Well built, well furnished and well designed.

Unlike some of my previous apartment accommodation in Port Moresby everything works at the HI. And by this I do not mean the appliances and the TV!
What I mean is that the housekeeping do an excellent job, if there is a minor problem then it is fixed quicker than you would ever expect, if you order room service it is delivered promptly, If you want an updated room service account then one phone call and within no time it is under your door along with copies of all the original signed dockets. All really good stuff!
And if you do have a question on anything the GM Tim responds almost immediately. It is great customer service and really appreciated.

I dont often rate as highly as I have in this review but the Holiday Inn is changing a lot and its all for the better. When the Holiday Inn Express wing and the various construction projects around the hotel compound are completed it will be even better.
Most certainly highly recommended.

Room Tip: The new wing is the absolute best apartment accommodation in Port Moresby. If you like to see things...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear MrAustralasia,

A big thank you for the very positive feedback you have provided.

We are really enjoying having our new wing operational after the long build process and are very pleased that our long term tenants are finding the facilities and service at the required level.

We will continue to strive to create an "Oasis" in the middle of Port Moresby and as the other building projects come towards completion I am confident we will do that.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and as always if I can assist you know where to find me!

Kind regards

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The new wing that has opened is fantastic. One & 2 bedroom apartments. They really know how to look after long termers here. Free internet ALL around the hotel, you can sit at the outside bar or on the lawn area and check emails. Long termers also get a great 20% discount on F&B! And the prices are also v reasonable.
Tim the manager makes you feel v welcomed there as well. Fortnightly drinks and nibbles for all long termers.
Currently under quite a bit of renovations, but the end result, if any of the previous work is a guide, will be great.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The new wing, facing the hills and not busy Waigani Drive.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear FNQer.

Thanks for the great feedback. We are very proud of the new wing and are pleased that you are enjoying it. The other renovations are taking a little longer than we had hoped but we are confident that it will create a great area once completed.

We certainly value our long term clients and if there is anything else we can do to improve you stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.