“Average Hotel ..especially for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gateway Hotel & Apartments

Gateway Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
new delhi
“Average Hotel ..especially for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights last month. The best memory is the pool, its clean and cool and ideal to relax after a day's work.. The rooms were ummm..dated kind of bare bone with with basic furniture, light and bathroom fittings. There was construction work going on on the road in front of the hotel due to which there was some noise throughout the night. Food wasn't bad though and the staff was friendly and welcoming ( very early in the morning). Wi Fi works only in the lobby. The bar on the lobby level was decent, although there was another one outside which had dubious looking clientele. Overall its a mixed experience. The property is good I feel just needs a renovation and more 'involved' management to spruce it up. If it was USD 50 cheaper it would have got a better rating for sure.

Room Tip: Try the higher floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank indshal
GatewayPOM, Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear indshal,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of your recent stay with us at Gateway Hotel & Apartments.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our pool. We get a lot of good feedback about it.

In regards to your comments about the quality of accommodation, I can gladly advise that we are about to embark upon a renovation programme in the near future and I’m confident that there will be a marked improvement in the finished product. We are very excited about this happening.

Wifi is enabled to work throughout the property and not just in the lobby. I apologise if you found this not to be the case. Generally unless there is a total outage in town beyond our control, any temporary outages get rectified very quickly once we are made aware.

Rattle N Hum, our public bar and is very popular amongst our regular guests. They are generally here for a good time and our bar staff along with Security maintain presence to ensure that everyone is in fact comfortable and being looked after.

Gateway Hotel is extremely competitive when it comes to pricing of hotel rooms and unless lead in room types are booked out, we generally always have attractive offers that you can avail of.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Gateway Hotel & Apartments the next time you are in Port Moresby.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Alice Springs, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The rooms are lovely, staff are nice and polite. However extremely over priced, they charged me for an extra night and they have not refunded my money. I continue to contact them and they continue to say that they need to speak to so and so and will get back in touch. I have had nothing but trouble and difficulties with sorting this issue out. Very unprofessional. Also inside information from a cleaner and bar tender mentioned that the staff working there are treated unfairly and get paid next to nothing. Don't stay here!! I will Definately go back to PNG but I'll be looking into guest houses instead!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CoralSeaHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear GBlack12,

We always value constructive feedback, it is disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed there experience. It is pleasing to read that you found the room to be lovely and enjoyed the serviced offered by the team at Gateway Hotel.

Please remember that you booked this additional night via a third party site, the terms and condiitons of which are clear, that you also need to cancel your booking via the site, with a minimum of 24 hours notice. Although this was not done, and we are not obliged to, we have processed the refund. With regard to no one contactig you, I beleive some of your communication has been with the third paty site you booked via, I myself have called you a number of times, which have gone to voice mail.

With all due respect your comments regarding the pay and conditions of the staff at Gateway Hotel are unfounded and inappropriate. Our team is paid above award and we offer a number of benefits and entitlements well above our legal obligation.

Regards

Deidre Halstead
Group Sales & Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Port Moresby hotels

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Unexpectedly stayed at this hotel as a disrupted passenger thanks to PX. Having stayed before new what I was up for and requested a room upgrade to executive room. Porters were great and assisted me up to my room with my luggage as there are no lifts and only staircases to negotiate. Had a swim in the pool which was clean and not crowded. Also had dinner at the Orchid Restaurant but no buffet on this Sunday night, although the food was to an acceptable standard for PNG. The room was relatively clean (Only found a dead cockroach in the bathroom, compared to the live ones I found when I previously stayed in late 2013!). Checked out early in the morning as had a early morning flight 0500 hours.Again the porters were helpful with assisting me with my luggage.
The main problem was that the room I was put into the air conditioning was not operational (Blowing hot air). I spoke to the reception staff and was informed that this was affecting that level and decided to stay in the room. Luckily the windows could be opened and I risked getting Malaria and other mosquito borne illness.
I would not stay at the hotel by choice.

Room Tip: Don't get a room any where near the main road or the security gate - From past experience it is...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dukduk2013
GatewayPOM, Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Dukduk2013,

Thank you for the time you have taken to post feedback about your recent stay with us at the Gateway Hotel & Apartments.

While I was pleased to hear your compliments about most things, I was disappointed to learn that the air conditioning in your room was not operational. However, thank you for letting me know. As part of our continuous improvement commitment, I can assure you that we are quick to ensure resolution of anything that is within our control at the time and I apologise that this was not the case during your stay.

I am also addressing the cleanliness of your bathroom with our Housekeeping team. Once again, my sincere apologies for this oversight.

Your feedback about the Porters has been passed onto our Guest Relations team and they were very pleased to hear it. Thank you for letting me know this.

Dukduk2013, should you be travelling through Port Moresby in the future, please do feel free to contact me for assistance with your booking arrangements and I will ensure that your stay is better than your last one.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Great place, nice pool, okay food and friendly staff.

The place just looks a bit tired n dull though. Maybe it needs a bit of facelift, especially the rooms and the hallways.

Having said that I do like the place. Love the restaurant n the pool. The bar downstairs, however, is very noisy sometimes and does not look welcoming. I guess it depends what day u go there. I stay away from it. I like the pool better. You can order a drink from the restaurant n drink by the pool no problem.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear peatuhacs,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your recent stay at Gateway Hotel & Apartments.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed using the pool and were happy with the restaurant and bar facilities. This feedback was shared with the team and they were delighted to hear it.
In regards to your feedback about the rooms and hallways, I am pleased to advise that we do indeed have a scheduled refurbishment planned in the not so distant future. I am sure that once this is complete, you will notice a marked improvement.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Gateway Hotel & Apartments.

mackay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were in Pom last week and spent 2 nights at the gateway
meals were ok rooms Ok but sliding door locked room 416
and had to walk outside on the stairs for a smoke
will be back up at the end of the month so looking forward to a better room
Staff always friendly and helpful

Room Tip: try and get a room near the pool great outlook
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kenmackay
GatewayPOM, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Ken,
Thank you for making an effort to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Gateway Hotel and Apartments and for advising us of the particular room number with the locked balcony door. Maintenance has been advise and addressed this matter.
Ken, again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Gateway Hotel and Apartments sometime during the month.

Matthew
Cairns
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Rooms are dated. No hot water for a shower so I complained to the front desk who didn't seem to care. I stayed 5 nights and witnessed 3 fights coming out of the bar under the hotel, security never got involved. Very disjoined hotel. Wont be returning.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the road as its noisy all night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CairnsOne
CairnsOne,
Thank you for your frank review as posted on Tripadvisor. There is no reason for your having to experience a stay here at the Gateway Hotel and Apartments and have no hot water. We have invested this on receipt of your feedback and have not been able to locate any problems with either the solar or the back up water. We are now however conscious of this and will monitor so as not to impact any future guests. Your feedback was received on checking out of the hotel in regards to the lack of action shown by security during your stay. I was aware of an altercation and managment have addressed this matter. Your feedback was also used in training last week with security and after ongoing training and development of our guards we hope that they will be more reactive should the need arise again in the future. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you visit and stay with us again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Was very surprised that hotels in Port Moresby are very expensive. No elevators at all in the hotel, so heavy luggage has to be carried up flights of stairs. No free wifi, available only at a price. Rooms are acceptable, only two bath towels, no otter towels provided. When I called for room service, I could not charge it to the room, if I did not give my credit card details over the phone (I did not feel secure enough to do so), so I was asked to traipse down all the flights of stairs to Reception to pay cash first. I waited in vain almost 45 minutes for my supper, and had to call Room Service to discover they had this requirement, instead of them telling me when I first made my order.
As with all hotels in Port Moresby, security is tight. To get a taxi, it is safer to get the hotel to call for a trusted taxi. The only plus point is that hotel is near to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms, and make sure the airconditioning is functioning well.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GatewayPOM, General Manager at Gateway Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Persimmone,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Gateway Hotel and Apartments. I appreciate your feedback on hotel pricing in Port Moresby the hotel through TPI providers such as booking.com and wotif always try to offer as competitive rates to the market as possible based on our occupancy at the time. With only two floors to the hotel we do not have a lift. We do however offer 24 hour porter services from the concierge desk in the lobby or a phone call to reception. Should a guest require more than two towels daily, again housekeeping services are available 24 hours to replenish linen and toweling.

To approve guest charges to a room (such as room service), the hotel must hold some form of confirmation payment on file such as a cash deposit or credit card imprint as is the case in all hotels. Your feedback highlights that this may not have been explained clearly to you during your check-in, something that we will focus on immediately with our daily briefs.

Persimmone, the Gateway Hotel offers complimentary Wifi as a benefit in Executive Rooms. Otherwise there is a charge for access through a local provider. We have currently tendered out the upgrading of all Wifi across all Coral Sea Hotels to improve this service and to offer guests complimentary Wifi in all of our properties across the country. We are hopeful of this project being completed by July, 2014.

Again Persimmone I thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your valuable feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again if you are passing through Port Moresby.

Matthew Cooper