“Peace and Tranquility”

Port Moresby Nature Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Port Moresby Nature Park (formerly the National Capital Botanical Gardens) is PNG's leading recreational attraction combining botanical, zoological and cultural displays. The park is home to over 250+ native animals including bird of paradise, tree-kangaroos, cassowaries, wallabies, snakes, crocodiles, hornbills and multiple parrot species. The grounds also offer a lush change from the hustle and bustle of Port Moresby City with the only rainforest tract within the Capital City. Thousands of tropical plant species including palms, gingers and heliconias and native timber tree species are found within the grounds. Facilities include cafe, souvenir shop, flower shop and arguably PNG's best children's playground. The Nature Park can arrange transportation to/from hotels and airport to the Park and offer excellent guided tours of the Park (lasting 1.5Hrs). A popular location on weekends for weddings and private picnic functions utilising the Nature Park's three large picnic areas.
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I haven't been to the Nature Park in many years largely due to the run-down conditions we encountered back around 2004. However someone recommended we check it out again...and we love it!

The new management has cleaned it up a lot, and we were very impressed with the cleanliness of the exhibits, as well as the friendliness of the staff.
We got to talk to the lady that is one of the managers, and watch as they were about to do a wedding in the "chapel area."

My biggest concern is this: it is so hard to get to! You have to drive through a run-down section in the back corner of the university, and even then, it seems that only a few vehicles will fit in the carpark. This is something that will need to be resolved.

All-in-all, we enjoyed it with our two children and spent about two hours walking around looking at the animals and plants.
Thanks for a nice, quiet place to enjoy ourselves.

2  Thank av8r4christ
POMNature, General Manager at Port Moresby Nature Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Thank you for revisiting the Nature Park and noting the changes since its former days of the Botanical Gardens. We have been and are continuing to work very hard to upgrade and improve the facility to meet international standards.

Within the next few months we look forward to opening a new tree kangaroo facility, wallaby walk, orchid display house, pathways and new entry.

Your comment regarding difficulty entering through the university is noted and you will be happy to know that over 2 years ago we created a new entry separate to the University. This entry is next to POM National High School (along Goro Kaeaga Road) and is considered our main entry. This is where our cafe, souvenir and flower shop will be opening in June. This entry also has our large, main car park with future car park expansion plans in development. I hope on your next visit you will find this entry easier to access than the UPNG.

I look forward to your family returning and seeing the new attractions as they open. Thank you for taking the time to review the Nature Park on Trip Advisor.

There are newer reviews for Port Moresby Nature Park

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I was so pleased to see HS tese gardens had developed on a recent visit. It is well organized, easy to get around and the range of plants was lovely to see! Well done to the new owners!

2  Thank Debbie K
POMNature, General Manager at Port Moresby Nature Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful visit and could see the positive changes that have taken place in recent years.
The Provincial Government (NCDC) still continues to oversee the Nature Park, but unlike the earlier days of the National Capital Botanical Gardens, Port Moresby Nature Park is gifted in Trust to the people of Port Moresby as a charitable entity which ensures that all funds received are reinvested into improving and building the Nature Park.
The business community has been key in getting behind and assisting us with funding to build and improve the Nature Park.
I look forward to your return in future to continue to see the changes taking place.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was there for a corporate picnic with Daltron and my kids just loved it!! I called it a stress buster because I had a headache on arrival from the hot sun and of course probably the weeks work load still hanging around in my mind....once I started the walk into the sanctuary, it was 'BLISS' my kids and I were in awe of the place and learned lots of cool facts as we went through visiting the cassowary place and more..before I knew it my head was clear and the head ache disappeared :-)..I would recommend anyone needing a breath of fresh air and just a change of scenery, this is a stop you will not regret - Hats off to the Management - you're doing a great job!!

2  Thank Kila1980

Glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time at your staff Christmas party at the Park and that you found it a relaxing experience. We have become a popular choice for work Christmas parties and hosted over 100 Christmas parties alone in 2012.

We are continuing to introduce new attractions into the park so it was wonderful to see that you enjoyed the Rainforest Retreat. Our new Tree Kangaroo exhibit will be opening soon along with a whole new entry to open in June that will include a cafe, souvenir and flower shop.

We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

The Port Moresby Nature Park is the best sanctuary in the capital. Whether you want to see an abundance of wildlife, an amazing range of natural flora or just want a peaceful and secure time out where you can be in touch with nature, this is it!
Oh and it provides the perfect venue for a picnic, wedding or other event.
The other reviewers describe it well with its raised walk ways providing a most pleasant walk amongst PNGs natural wonders.
What they don't say is that it is one of its kind and is probably the only safe place to sit under a tree and relax in the city.

3  Thank Van-X7
Expat_in_Guangzhou, General Manager at Port Moresby Nature Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

We are continuing to work hard to improve the Park so thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. We pride ourselves in providing the safest facilities where people can relax. Our wonderful staffs are all passionate about improving the place and providing wonderful opportunities for the community.
In 2012, over 85,000 people visited the park and we hosted over 400 functions in our multiple picnic venues.
In 2013 we look forward to opening a cafe with large deck where you can relax even more with a coffee, iceceam or meal.
Thanks again for visiting and commenting on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I enjoyed my free tour with Michelle. thank you for the information and insight into the diversity of PNG's flora and fauna. Not to mention all the wonderful variety of animals that are currently call the nature park 'home.' Michelle you are doing a fantastic job with your team, keep up the fantastic work...

3  Thank Bouraga B

Really glad that you had the opportunity to visit the Park and take a tour. Our guided tours are offered by a number of trained staff at a very reasonable rate to enable a more indepth experience. A great opportunity for those that do not have much time to visit. Thank you for commenting on trip advisor.