“Airways Hotel Port Moresby”
Review of Airways Hotel

Airways Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Port Moresby
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The airways overlooks Jackson international airport in Port Moresby. I recent had to go to PNG for work and we transited through Port Moresby on the way to our final destination. You are advised not to walk the short distance from the airport to the hotel on safety grounds, but the hotel has a representative at the both the international and domestic terminals. We then jumped into the hotel's shuttle bus for the short trip to the hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful and they stored our equipment down stairs rather than us having to cart it all up stairs. Our first visit we had book in the Bacchus wing but were delighted when we were upgraded to the Dakota wing. Unfortunately as we arrived at 6pm and then had to depart by 7am for the next leg of our trip we were not able to enjoy all the benefits of the upgrade, but from what I could see the extra money would be worth it if you were staying for more a few days.
After completing our work elsewhere in PNG we flew back to Port Moresby on a Friday afternoon. Once again we found the hotel representative at the airport, I had rung the day before and confirmed our booking so we were expected at the airport. Our booking was for a room in the Bacchus wing but we did not get an upgrade, but having said that we were flying early the next morning back to Australia so we would not have been able to enjoy the amenities anyway. The Bacchus rooms are very comfortable and for those who don't have time for other things they are a very good option.
If all you are doing is transiting Port Moresby onto resorts or other cities in PNG then I have no hesitation in recommending the Airways Hotel.

Room Tip: Due to safety concerns, you should use the hotel shuttle bus and best of all it is a free service.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hello Aussiewanderer730

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased to know that all wnet well during your transfers.
I wish that you had a little more time to experience the hospitality and the facilities of the entire hotel. We have few food and beverage outlets, an award winning Spa and a state of teh art Health and Fitness Club with an infinity pool overlooking the runway and the Owen Stanley Ranges. Truely a sight!

Some times the category of rooms that a guest books sells out then with pleasure we upgarde some guests without any charge.

We hope that you come to PNG again and stay with us.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Airways Hotel last night and I must say it is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. I wasn't excited about having to layover in Moresby for a night and was pleasantly surprised by this gem of a hotel in a city with a very dangerous rep. The security here is excessively present at all times but this is necessary. The service here was incredible and better than what I would see in an expensive hotel in America. I got a chance to use the pool and it was great. My favorite thing about this hotel was its proximity to the airport. Watching the air traffic during my meals was fabulous. I had a Bacchus room and it was very clean and had every amenity promised. The bed was very comfortable. If I ever travel through Moresby again I would stay here for sure. The food in the upstairs restaurant was world class and not as expensive as one would think in a hotel like this. Stay here you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kava-kauboi
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hello Kava-Kaubo2

Thank you for your comments.

I am happy to know that we met your expectation in every way during your stay.
Airways Hotel has been here for the past 27 years and it is owned and operated by the same owners, who are from Papau New Guinea.

Bacchus wing is our original wing and the rooms are very spacious. All over the the hotel the amenities are the same for the guests to enjoy.

The Views from our roof top Vue restaurant are amazing overlooking the runway, Bootless Bay and the Owen Stanley Ranges. Some mornings are breathtaking indeed.

Thank you commenting on our staff and service. Guest service is our first core value and it is refreshing to know that our guests can feel that too.

We hope to see you again soon at the Airways Hotel.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This place was great!

I was on my way back to Australia from the Western Province when my plane was delayed and I missed my connecting flight to Australia. I was in PNG for work with a well known local company and the airline staff were very helpful in finding me suitable accomodation for the night. Most of the hotels in town were booked out and due to restrictions on where we could stay in terms of safety and whatnot, this was the only available option. Only an executive class suite was available so I was fortunate to receive an upgrade.

The room was great, the service was fantastic and the meals were good. After 8 weeks of 'roughing it' in the 'jungle', this was a true blessing! Fantastic bathroom, top notch bed and there was even a telescope in the room and a 'butler service'. To date the best hotel accommodation I have had anywhere!

Thank you for making an unscheduled visit so comfortable. I would definitely recommend, but I do not know about the value for money as it was a comp from the airline.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello nrdowe
Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to know that you had a comfortable stay with us on your return from Western Province.

The beds, linen, pillows, towels, amenites are of very high quality as we know that they are important to ensure that you have a goodnight sleep.

Butler service service is 24 hours to ensure that all your requests are catered for however small or big. Garment pressing, shoe polish, wake up call with your choice of coffee or tea, making arrangemets for your meetings and catering etc are part of your room without any extra cost..

We hope to see you sometimes again soon.

Thank you!

With Regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is well located close to Jacksons Airport for travellers that have no desire to commute in and out of Port Moresby. Very well laid out, with a residence area for semi perminant residences for business. Secure site with good service, a small store and banking facilities, well serviced for business travellers. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Outside the main structure, wifi may not be available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hello Pridey83

Thank you for your comments!

I am pleased to know that you had a pleasnat stay with us. Our hotel complex is very big where our guests can walk around in secure spaces. Enjoy the views of Bootless Bay, Runway and the Owen Stanley Ranges from the Airways Park. As you mentioned the mini supermarket is open 7 am to 7 pm and also caters for over the counter medicines. Wespac bank is on site as well. Really you do not have to leave Airways for anything!.

The hotel provides choice of 4 dining places, 5 lounges taht have free internet browsing, world class Spa and Health and Fitness Club with an infinity pool.

We hope to see you back at the Airways Hotel on your next visit.

With Regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Two night stay for work purposes near the airport. Very well appointed,plenty of space in the room and bathroom. Almost everything has been thought of. Good quality food, very friendly service, beautiful views from the Vue bar and restaurant. The gym facilities are excellent. If heading back to Port Mores by I would definitely stay
at the Airways.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ascot_10
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Ascot_10

Thank you for choosing to stay at Airways Hotel on your recent visit to POM and your comments.

Its always good to hear that our guests enjoy their stay and feel comfortable. I am really happy that we met your expectaions.

I must say that we have an excellent team and we are comitted to look after our guests during their stay. Nothing is too much trouble.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you at Airways Hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel should be given 7 stars. The service, staff and management are exceptional. I have been to 118 countries and frequent mandarin orientals, four seasons, aman resorts and soho house hotels; none of them come close to the standard set at the airways hotel. The room and spa were also amazing. I would go out of my way to go to png just to stay at the airways. Sushill and Mel Gordon are probably the best in the hospitality industry. Stephanie holden - Dubai

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Hello Stephanie

Thank you for your comments and compliment to Airways Hotel and to Mel and I. We are thrilled to hear that our team made your stay very memorable. Our Spa ia the best kept secret of POM.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to PNG and enjoyed the day trip around Port Moresby.

We will look forwrad to your next visit to Airways HoteL.

Once again thank you.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Or more accurately true five (5) Star Service @ a reasonable rate - I travel for business a great deal and city for city most 5 star hotels are, when you take into consideration the Lounges and Facilitates here more expensive then Airways with room appointments of really a 4/4.5 standard. Also little things like all communications being responded to promptly and efficiently always help...do little things mean a lot? No Little things mean everything!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Designmatters
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hello designmatters

Thank you for you comments, we really appreciate that you have taken the time to write about us.

At Airways, our focus is our guests and we want to make sure that they have a memorable experience every time they stay with us. Simple things mean a lot.

We thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the Airways.