“Inexpensive, Boarding House”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bulls Eye Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Moresby
Bulls Eye Lodge
Keizer, Oregon
“Inexpensive, Boarding House”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

While not what we expected, we were more than satisfied with our stay. The Lodge provides very simple accommodations. No a/c but we made do by leaving our door ajar, opening the screened windows, and running a fan. The bathroom was next door. Joseph was an A-1 host; we were sorry to be unable to meet Rose as she was out of town on official business. His family cooked PNG dinners and provided "security" for our sight-seeing trips. As a retired teacher who is still active in politics, Joseph provided knowledgeable insights into his culture as he shepherded us around the Port Moresby area, taking us to the mall, the nature park, Parliament and other government buildings, Hanuabada village, Ela Beach, the open air market, museums, and more. In spite of receiving multiple warnings of the dangers of traveling in PNG, we never felt threatened in any way; well, except when the guard at the US Embassy waved us down and told me I had to erase the photo I had just taken--ah well... We're very hopeful that Joseph and Rose will be able to visit us in Oregon.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other rooms than our own, but assume that they're all pretty much the same...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Panda1098

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed with Joseph & Rosie at Bulls Eye Lodge twice during a month-long trip through PNG, and it was a very positive experience. Moresby is a truly challenging city to approach as a foreign traveler, and Joseph & Rosie will go out of their way to help you feel comfortable and help you plan your time in the city. They are also very knowledgeable about the country and always willing to help plan further travels.

Accommodation is basic but comfortable. Full kitchen, common area with satellite tv, shared bathroom, and porch/courtyard are convenient and kept tidy. The area gets a bad rep, but did not feel like that when I was there. When I arrived they arranged for someone to show me around the neighborhood and go to Gordon's Market to buy food. After that walking around alone during the day was fine and taking taxis at night was ok too. The neighbors are friendly and the neighborhood is pictoresque.

Evening cooked meals are convenient, as are airport pickups and drop-offs.

I'm glad I stayed at BullsEye Lodge, and I think this is a great new budget option in a city in desperate need of more of them at decent prices.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ajd2337
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Initially I was impressed with the eagerness and hospitality demonstrated by the hosts. Yes, Bulls Eye Lodge is really out of the way in a less than desirable (i.e., dangerous) part of Port Moresby; however, the hosts picked me up from the airport and offered to drive me the places I needed to go. The rooms are simple but clean, although I did find a mouse running around the floor of my room one night.

Unfortunately, the hosts 'opportunistically' tried to overcharge me on my last day and blatantly lied to me in doing so (I had to contact the moderator of the website I'd initially booked the accommodation through, villagehuts.com, who efficiently sorted out the matter). If you choose to stay here, make sure you clarify the exact cost of the room at the outset.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

There seems to be very little "budget" accommodation in Port Moresby. Joseph offers clean, basic and very hospitable accommodation at Bulls Eye Lodge. It has the added advantage of being able to offer meals which saves going out in what can be an unsafe environment. He is happy to provide transfers and a lot of great information. I would certain use Bulls Eye again.

Room Tip: The King rooms have lots of space. All rooms suffer a bit with noise from the family above. Fans pro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kglancashire
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

A small family-run guest house offering low prices for cost-budget travellers.Single rooms @ 160K and double @ 200K. Evening meals can be arranged. They also offer discounts for long-term guests and welcome church workers, ngos, local gov, backpackers and lady travellers.

Has a self-contained kitchen with communial rest area and sat tv (57 ch). They provide free transport to/from airport.They can also provide secure taxi service around the local area. Both Joseph and his wife are Government employees and can provide a lot of information about PNG itself.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo