“Great service, good food but bad internet”
Review of Fema Lodge

and 1 more site!
Fema Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Tarawa Atoll B&B and Inns
Suva, Fiji
“Great service, good food but bad internet”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The 4 day work trip, staying at FEMA lodge was nice with the exception of an internet service that was cut off at 10 minute intervals and took 5-10 minutes to get working again. Otherwise, the rooms were very clean, the water was working without any problem. The service was great and the cook does a great job at making tasty meals.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank NickHobgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Having stayed in probably hundreds of hotels around the world I really can't find much fault with Fema Lodge in the context of where it is.

I chose a superior room which had very good A/C, was clean and tidy, comfortable bed and the food provided by the chef was perfectly adequate. The staff are also friendly and very helpful.

OK, it's not a five star hotel but this is Kiribati - and it is very reasonably priced if not down right cheap. They don't as one reviewer suggests, charge the earth for everything.

I can't recommend it enough and will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a superior in the new block.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Julian R
Centerville, Utah USA
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The rooms are clean. The bathrooms need to be updated, but are clean and more modern than most other choices on Tarawa. The chef is excellent. Good food from the hotel's kitchen. Very friendly staff. Location is not so good if you are visiting for business.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is a well run friendly lodge that feels like you are staying at the coast in Australia. They are nice neat units that are semi centrally located on main road in Tarawa.

The room I had was upstairs in the new building and it was clean and comfortable. It had good Airconditioning that the local staff would turn on for me before I got home in the afternoon.

I read a review that said the new building did not have hot water but it looks like they have read these reviews and have fixed that. The basin only had one tap which was warm but the shower had a hot and cold water tap which if I didn't shower in the morning was almost too hot.

They have a little kitchen that serves breakfast lunch and dinner. I only had a chance to have dinner but they would bend over backwards to make what you wanted and would recommend something if you didn't know what you wanted.

It is just up the road from Pacific Chineese (it is not a spelling mistake that is what it is called). So if you get tired of the hotel food one of the better Chinese(ish) restraunts is close by.

All in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel had everything you needed, but bad location and dark, sparse rooms make you feel like you're in prison. Admittedly, the people here are facing exodus soon which must be terrible, but charging the earth for everything isn't the way to get travellers to feel their struggle. The staff are actually very friendly but they will do very little to help out. Our room had an infestation of flying insects which fell from the ceiling one night. They gave me half a can of bug spray and I had to use my own tape to fix the ceiling! They then kicked everyone out the next day having to close for renovations. The Lagoon Breeze was a much better hotel. Kiribati is not a fortunate country to be dealing with the rising ocean, but you can't charge over $70 per night for that. The whole Atoll is overpriced and generally unhelpful we found.

Room Tip: the top floor is better, so are the units further back if you can afford them.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamesAgombar
Emma T, Owner at Fema Lodge, responded to this review, 30 October 2015
I surely apologise for this. The room is currently been used often so there is no more worries for such insects.
We hope to see you again next time

Emma
Suva
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I was here on 21st July till 25th July and really felt sad when I had to leave. A beautiful young girl who is one of the staff awaits us in the airport. We had our own rental car. I had to choose from Fiji to stay there not even knowing how the place was but I did made the right choice. I was in room no:10 which is so clean and felt so much at home. The place is so secured day and night with 2 lovely and so friendly elderly men. I had the opportunity to chat them up when I feel lonely as it was my very first time to Kiribati and these staffs made me feel at home. They taught me some of the local language and I was speaking to them on the second day of my visit. I had a great time there and the food was excellent. I would recommend Fema Lodge to anyone who is travelling to Kiribati.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

My 4th work visit to Kiribati over this year and last, and this was my third time to stay here. My longest stay this time around for 10 days for work. Has all the basics and is quiet, has very nice caring staff members, a small basic resturant with a friendly cook and internet is free when you can connect to it. I stayed in upstairs New wing which had just been completed and the rooms are great, clean and bright. Kiribati lacks decent motels and no proper hotel (otintia hotel is a government run place and is a .........), and I think Fema is the best it gets in Tarawa. Only downfall is that is far from the airport and hospital where I was based for work so had to drive for atleast 40 mins one way everyday, but a small price to pay for a decent nights sleep. Will gladly keep on staying here at Fema lodge.

• Stayed July 2013