Le Surf Hotel
Le Lagon Hotel(Noumea)
  • Pool
Nouvata(Noumea)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A hotel past it's prime and in need of maintenance work. We stayed here as our travel plans were disrupted by road flooding elsewhere in New Caledonia. The managers were helpful in transferring our prepaid voucher from another hotel in their chain to le Surf on short notice and gave us a room upgrade. Their helpfulness, the friendly staff and clean large pool are the most positive aspects of the hotel.
The hotel itself is tired and needs significant maintenance work. The room with ocean view was of a better standard then the hallways and had newer paint, fixtures and carpeting. As mentioned in other reviews there is an unpleasant mildew/sewerage smell in the hotel, strongest in the toilet. The parking area was dark and also suffered from unpleasant smells. The included wifi cut out intermittently and was slow speed.
The bar area was pleasant with a cheap daily special cocktail $5. The restaurant is basic and overpriced relative to other options in close walking distance. No room service is offered.
The pool is actually really quite nice and clean, but lacked any lounge chairs so you could actually enjoy it. The fitness centre has been closed down and is not available.
Unfortunately despite the helpful service we received I would not suggest you stay at this hotel as there are better options at a lower price in the same area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PouletFish
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The most disappointing hotel experience I've ever had. It is simply not well looked after and is in major need of renovations and a complete paint job. As soon as I entered the lift to go up to my room, I could smell mould and the smell was even worse in my room. There were marks all over the carpet in the hallway from water leakages,and the whole place appeared old and depressing. I could not bear to sleep in the room for more than two nights due to the mould, so I finally managed to get a refund and changed hotels immediately. Having spoken to some locals, it is well-known that the hotel is run-down and below standard. The promised WIFI in the room did not work - and I had to sit in the hotel reception area to get some WIFI. The staff were not unfriendly, but the whole place had a sad, tired feel to it. The two hotels of a similar price category which were recommended to me were Le Lagon and Nouvata Parc - steer clear of Le Surf!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Frankie S
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I am giving this hotel two stars because their alleged free wifi simply did not work in my room. I absolutely needed to get work done that night so I set up shop at a tour desk in the lobby and stayed there until past 4 AM working. In this day and age a hotel should not be able to get away claiming free wifi if it doesn't work in some rooms.

As other reviewers say this place is run down. The smell of mildew permeated the building. The rooms were actually not bad. They were large and decently furnished. Too bad there were no English cable channels and I couldn't access Youtube.

One plus was their casino. Why? I got in on a very late flight and I expected eateries to be closed. I was told that the cafe inside the casino would be open until 1 AM. I was able to eat.

It's located between Anse Vata and Lemon Bay so it's not really close to either. I booked in a hurry at the last minute and had I thought about it I would have chosen a hotel in Anse Vata.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Zoglets
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The hotel is really really in need of maintence work. It would not be the worst if they gave it a lick of paint & updated somethings.Position is good. Breakfast is mega over priced. only positive point is that the staff are nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank italyireland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This hotel was really very SAD! Right from the start everything was sad, just getting our key cards to work was a mission and in the end we persevered with just one for the two of us! We spent as little time as possible in this hotel, which is sad in itself as we were hoping for a nice place to relax!
Our room was on the third floor and after trying the no-go lift, we used the stairs every time! Once on the third floor the stench hit us...presume flooding, rotting carpet or whatever. Our room was well appointed facing the lagoon, but dont look straight down as the outlook over the restaurant roof is appalling and the noise from the pool, restaurant and bar was persistent at night. The air-con made a hellzone noise, so having the verandah door open was next best thing except for the road noise and the mosquitoes, and the pillows were shockingly uncomfortable! The lack of internet or access to it was also sadly lacking!

The pool was quite cold, but well maintained as we watched every morning eating our own breakfast from our verandah, a young women who regularly came and cleaned and checked the pool - obviously temperature wasn't a concern. But to be fair the pool was in the shade all day, this is mid-July so assume in summer it's great for getting out of the heat!
We ate just ONCE in the empty restaurant, the food was dubious quality and exorbitant in price - a short walk to Anse Vata or Baie des Citrons and you can find numerous reasonably priced restaurants for a third of the price.
Admittedly this hotel was well-appointed, across or down the road from the beach, glass-bottom boats, kayak and windsurfer hire etc, and between the two main tourist beaches with shops and restaurants just a short walk away. Also, the bus stop is right outside the front of the hotel, and there seemed to be plenty of staff to ask for help!
Strangely for days we had no towels replaced, then on our last day received two extra towels, very odd!
The bathroom is my last point of Sad! A crack in the cistern meant constant puddles of water on the floor in the bathroom, with the bath mat always wet and a permeating smell, evidence of mould and the shower over the bath that had come adrift from the wall - which all meant that closing the bathroom door was compulsory! You can see from promotional material that this hotel has olde grandeur about it, beautifully built originally goodness knows when, and a real "island" feel to the place - but no love lost when we left, in fact not even an Au Revoir! Very Sad!

Room Tip: Book into lots of tours and stay in the hotel as little as possible, great locality is all I can say is good about this hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple