“U need study about New Caledonia before ur visit”
Review of Le Meridien Noumea

Le Meridien Noumea
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Noumea
Seoul, South Korea
“U need study about New Caledonia before ur visit”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I understand why the reviews about hotels in New Caledonia have conflicts.Someone say it is perfect for refreshing and someone says nevery expect high-quality service and accomodation even though it is five-star hotel.

My answer is ' both are correct'. It must be fanstastic getaway who expected slow and relaxing & healing time. But on the other hands, this is the just one isolated island without any touch of high-technology or artifical entertainment.

The room is O.K. Please do not expect luxurious interior in your room, and it eases your disspointment a little. Bascially the travelling cost in NC is high and try to embrace that fact. It dose not mean that the room condition is poor- I am trying to say, the room cannot be equivalnet to other five star hotel you booked in other countries. You can imagine clean&neat 3~4 starts hotel in developed country. The beach view from the room is gorgeous, you can walk along the beach in the evening.

The quality of food for breakfast is absolutely fantastic, and swimming in the pool at night makes your couple trip special.

One casion is walkable location from hotel, but I cannot say it is 'actually casino'. Only a few tables are presented and the number of games you can play is very very limited.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eun Sil N
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Noumea, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Bonjour,
This is a very sincere and honest review, thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience in New Caledonia. It is very important for us to know that you enjoyed your stay and spent a good time with you beloved!
We would like to let you know that major investments are planned to update the hotel and offer our guests luxurious interiors and higher technology.
We hope to welcome you then to find out!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

When I'm on holidays, I'm never in the hotel room a whole heck of a lot, with that being said, I now know what the other reviewers meant by "the hotel could use some updating." It certainly wasn't bad, but I reckon if they are claiming to be 5 star they will have a lot of disappointed guests. TV's in the room are not flat screens and still the old school box tv's. I couldn't find one english speaking channel although others said they had BBC that was in English.

The Good: The location is fantastic. Just about a 10 to 15 minute walk to some bars and restaurants. The cleanliness of the rooms was good, no complaints there. Our room was on the 4th floor and had breath taking views over looking the ocean and a large balcony. The pool was massive and always had plenty of lounge chairs. Some places you have to wake up early and claim a lounge chair but at Le Meridien, there were always enough loungers. I also quite liked the buffet breakfast. Made to order omelettes, bacon, loads of fruit juices, cereals, pancakes, toast, croissants, the list goes on. It was a very extensive selection and is served from 6am to 10am each day. Even on our last day, we had an early flight and had to leave before breakfast and they sent us away with a breakfast pack which was nice.

Improvements: Updating the rooms, I'm not sure we even had air conditioning. If we did you certainly couldn't adjust it...I think we only had a ceiling fan. The safe didn't work, neither did our friends we were travelling with. Check in could be improved. They didn't tell us that breakfast was included, we later went back and checked and sure enough it was. We were also not given a map pointing out surroundings or told breakfast hours, to me these are basic things that are typically done upon checkin. Drink and food prices were very expensive. A cocktail is about $17.50 AUD and a club sandwich with fries is about $23. Several people in our group had the Tagliatelle seafood pasta at the restaurant near the pool and said it was fantastic, so check that out. Their french fries are also nice with a hint of garlic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor had great ocean views!
3 Thank JaclynSB
Bonjour JaclynSB
It is through feedback from our guests that we are able to improve further our product and services and reach the high level of service we strive to achieve. Thank you for sharing it!
We are very happy to learn that you liked the perfect location, the rooms, the swimming pool and buffet breakfast! This is a great beginning!
However we are sorry that a few points did not meet your expectations. In that regard, we would like to inform you that major investments are planned to update the hotel and change the TVs. Nevertheless we would like to let you know that we currently have 4 English channels available: BBC, ABC, WIN and TCM, and we are planning on having more in the near future. Besides, all rooms have air-conditioning that you can adjust from your room (the switch is beside the bed). We are sorry to learn that your safe did not work, and even more that you did not let us know! Our maintenance team would have promptly fixed it up. Finally, we have well noted your comment about check-in and the valuable information that you were expecting. We will of course take appropriate actions to improve that.
We truly hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you again during your next trip to New Caledonia!
A bientôt
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

After reading the reviews of this hotel for many months and not having much luck in finding out much information about Noumea (not sure how this can be in the age of Google but not being a french speaker I truly struggled) I was quite nervous about staying here. But I can honestly say it was fantastic. For those of you planning on going here were our top tips:

We stayed on a top floor room overlooking the pool (542 from memory). Great room. Very clean tidy and large. Good size bathroom. The room / cleaning staff were great (they mostly speak only French) did a beautiful job daily with fresh towels, sharply made beds, evening knock for downturn service with chocolates. Couldn't fault it. Yes the rooms are 80's colours (yellows and blues featuring a lot) but I really kind of liked it! The room service was good. We ordered plates almost every day to use in our room with the food we bought locally. Very comfy bed!

They also organised the pick up with Le Arc from the airport to the hotel - seamless.

We didn't try the games room or the gym but both looked to be useable.

Pool is fantastic - I didn't see any of the peeling everyone else mentions. They were painting whilst we were there - the hotel is very well looked after. It may be old(ish) but it's great. There were signs about paying for the lounge chairs but we never did - I'm not sure if that applies to hotel guests or not. Pool water was clean and lovely - I swam every day very happily.

The wedding chapel looked lovely if you're planning on a wedding!

We didn't try the restaurants (aside from brekkie on the last day which was fine) but they looked good. We had chips at the beach front one and a few drinks but they were mega expensive and not very nice (chips were cold). Shame they didn't do evening meals on the beach. We didn't try the fish buffett but apparently it's very popular with the locals. We walked into town to eat every night and one night bought lots of yummy things from the supermarket and ate on our balcony.

I would recommend the free bikes that are at the hotel. They don't advertise them (nor is there any information in your room in English about the hotel which is a shame - there's nothing to tell you about the local area although the weekly tourist paper is good - you can pick it up in the lobby. I asked lots for English info and on the last day got a small leaflet which wasn't very helpful). We took the bikes everywhere. The ride turning right out of the hotel is good - around to Baie des Petroles. If you keep going - when you see the shops (about 20 to 30 mins around) there's a massive supermarket which is great (Champion Supermarket - 56 Rue du Port Despointes, Nouméa 98800, New Caledonia). It's much better than the other ones in town.

We ate a lot at Le Miretti Gascon - awesome. Not touristy, away from the front and wonderful food. Very expensive but probably the same as the front - we didn't find anywhere cheap to eat! There are also some great places in Lemon Bay (the pub is good for beer). I would highly recommend the flaming pudding!

We took a taxi out to the island off of the coast - Ille Maitre. Definitely worth a day trip. Not much sealife for snorkellers but beautiful island.

Tjibaou definitely worth going to. Wonderful museum. We took the local buses there.

Great patissere in town. Walk into town. When you get to the massive arcway of shops with the green in the middle, turn right and walk down that road - awesome bakery.

Can also highly recommend a Cremeya from the waffle/toasty place on the front (you'll find it). It's a giant pastry, icecream and chantilly number (AUD$12) that's bigger than your head!

My husband kiteboarded every day straight off the beach - good spot if the wind works - and very friendly locals.

For what it's worth I would definitely stay here again - I checked out the flashy hotel next door and definitely prefer Le Meridien!

Inbox me if I can help with anything - lisacparker@hotmail.com

Cheers, Lisa

Wanted to do Amedee Lighthouse but at AUD$180 each we decided against it. The Acquarium was beautiful and worth doing (AUD$12).

Room Tip: Go for a top floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lparker
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketinf and communication manager at Le Meridien Noumea, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Bonjour Iparker,
We thank you for taking the time to write this long and detailed review. We are truly delighted that you have such good memories of your stay with us and in New Caledonia! This is great for future visitors to benefit from your experience and tips!
As you noticed, we take our guests comments very seriously to improve our product and services, this is why some points raised by previous guests are now seamless.
To clear your doubts, indeed the access to the swimming pool is free of charge for hotel guests and a fee applies for non hotel guests.
We hope that during your next visit you will be able to try our restaurants, whether it is Le Faré for a casual BBQ lunch, Le Sextant for a delicious seafood buffet dinner or L'Hippocampe for a fine dining experience!
Looking forward to welcoming your again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This Hotel although needing some updating is quite good. Its not quite to the standard of other 5 star hotels, I would put it more in the 4 star category.The staff are wonderfull and very helpful. The rooms spacious and clean with all amenities. The location is top class close to bars, restaurants, clubs, shopping facilities. My only dissapointment was the service around the pool area it was almost non existant have to ask the staff to clear empty glasses and plates.
The meals & drinks are quite pricy however you are on holidays !!!

Over all this gets the thumbs up from me...

We found getting a cab difficult make sure you get the hotel, restaurant etc to book them.You will have no hope of hailing one from the streetr

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Noumea, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Tino T,
We would like to thank you for this sincere feedback. It is very rewarding for us to know that you spent great holidays at Le Méridien Nouméa and found the staff very helpful, liked the location and the rooms! We are sorry to leanr that the service around the pool did not match your expectations and will take necessary actions to improve that.
A bientôt!
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel although a little out dated was great. I would say its more 4 star when comparing to the other 5 star hotels of the world. The location is amazing, close to restaurants, bars & clubs. The staff are very friendly and willing to help. The rooms were clean and well appointed, the restaurant near the pool served generous meals and with lots of option on the menu. The drinks and meals are a bit pricy however you are on holidays !!! The confernce facilities were also great.The only critisisum would be the level of service around the pool area was sub standard.. having our empty glasses and meals left on the side pool tables, having to ask to get them removed. Overall it gets my tick

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communicaiton manager at Le Meridien Noumea, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Tabba17,
This is a lovely review, thank you very much for sharing with the online community! We are delighted to know that you spent a great time at Le Méridien Nouméa and liked its location, staff and food! We also noted your comment about pool service and will take appropriate actions to improve that.
Looking forward to welcoming you again!
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband took me to this resort for my 50th.We loved it! Yes it may be looking a bit tired but the staff were great, food nice and the pool/beach beautiful. I had requested a pool view room but didn't get one,didn't want to complain. We would highly recommend this hotel and will be back! Fellow Australians this is only 2 1/2 hours from Sydney!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trace3339
LeMeridienNoumea, Marketing and communication manager at Le Meridien Noumea, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Trace3339,
Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous feedback about your stay with us!! We would like to thank your husband too for taking you here! We hope that you will be back soon, we look forward to welcoming you again.
A bientôt!
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is probably the best hotel in Noumea. I would say it’s 5 stars compared to hotels in Europe, Australia… but for Asian standards can’t be more than 4 stars. I liked the décor, I wouldn’t say it’s outdated, rather it’s a very charming property with white shutters and nautical theme throughout. Pool is OK, we didn’t use it because of weather, I think the pool is open to local people, they were using it for exercise classes in the morning especially. We borrowed snorkling gear and towels from the pool for our trip to islands. Beach is not great, but it is the best in Noumea (mainland), you are better off going to the Duck Island, or any other island… if you going to Duck Island you are better off booking via hotel, a bit more expensive (CFP1500, instead of CFP1200) but the boat leaves in front the hotel instead of other side of Anse Vata, handy if you have a lot to carry.
Rooms are big enough, good storage,nice balconies, we had a Classic Garden View room on the 4th floor and the view was great, we could see garden and the sea as well. Rooms are well insulated, you can’t hear people next door, but on the weekend there was a noise from outside, not from the hotel but from the beach party or something. I didn’t mind a small TV with mainly French channels, I hope they don’t change that. There is a window with a white shutter between bathroom and bedroom which looked very sweet. Bathrooms toiletries should be improved, as well as other little things you could expect to find in the room, pens, note papers… that was all missing.
I asked reception for bathrobes and sleepers and they brought them straight away, not sure why we didn’t have them at start, could be the room type. Housekeeping was erratic, we were often without coffee, shampoos and one day without towels!
Luckily, the reception staff dealt with all our requests and complains, they were all great without exception, very helpful and patient. They help us with tours, taxis, hotel reservations. Staff in general were very polite and helpful, except for the lady working at the pool bar, she was very rude, I think other reviewers had a similar complain.
We had breakfast twice, it wasn’t worth is, horrible coffee, not much variety, I was expecting it to excel in the pastry department but they had sliced bread and Krispy Crème looking things. The breakfast restaurant (Le Sextant) looks like a conference room, nothing inviting about it, probably the worst space in the whole hotel. You are much better off eating breakfast in the cafes outside. last couple of days we got great baguettes, chesses, pastries and had breakfast on the balcony, though I don't like self catering this is definitely recommended when in Noumea!
We tried the French restaurant L'Hippocampe and it was good, very pleasant space, good service, food was also good but not exceptional. Prices were high, but not higher than any other better restaurant in Noumea.
La Fare restaurant by the beach, the one you see one the hotel brochure, is easily one of the best spots, if not the best, in Noumea, especially for watching sunset but it’s open only from 11.30-2.00! At night they open it for functions only. I don’t understand, like they really don’t want people to stay in the hotel at all, even the pool bar closes at 5pm! I have to say that is probably my biggest complain about the hotel, weddings and conferences are obviously their main focus but if there is nothing happening just open your best space to other guests. I never saw a hotel that doesn’t care to make business at all. We managed to have lunch there couple of times and the food was probably the beast we had in the hotel, which makes it even worse knowing it’s closed most of the time.
Hotel shop is good, again it’s open about two hours a day so you have to be lucky!
Hotel location is excellent, walking distance to restaurants and shops, either walk on the beach (during the day) and in the end up the stairs, you will be almost next to Bodega and Le Roof or go via main hotel exit and turn left next to Chateau Royale, that will also lead to main street and the bus stop – public transport is very good, get the timetable from the hotel. There are couple of small grocery stores on the side street where Le Lagon hotel is, we discovered that by coincidence during our stay, hotel staff didn’t know about that, instead on the first day we walked one hour to supermarket at Port Plassance, pleasant walk via Anse Vata and Baia des Citrones but still… there is also a nice bakery, one of many, in the main shopping complex at Anse Vata (where Benetton is). For sunset, Bodega bar is the best (since La Fare is closed), it’s walking distance to hotel, on the same boardwalk where Le Roof restaurant is.
In general, we were happy with our stay and would stay here again, I just hope they do something with the opening hours of La Fare!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovetoeattravel2012
Bonjour!
This is a very nice and complete review, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are delighted to know that you liked the hotel and its location as well as the helpful staff.
Regarding housekeeping, we have taken good note of your comments and will do our best to improve the service. You were right about bathrobes and slippers, they don't come with the classic room category, however we are glad to provide them to our guests upon request.
Regarding Le Faré, we are happy that you liked the exceptionnal setting and the food! It is not open at night indeed because privatised very often for banquets. Furthermore, at this period of the year the sun sets early and it gets cooler (it's all relative...) this is why it closes at 5pm. However in the summer we keep it open later.
We look forward to welcoming you again for your next stay in New Caledonia!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noumea
Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences
#12 of 20 in Noumea
Hotel Beaurivage
Hotel Beaurivage
#7 of 20 in Noumea

Been to Le Meridien Noumea? Share your experiences!