“Better than I thought”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alofi
Taupo
“Better than I thought”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have been to most of the south Pacific islands now and wasn't expecting to be as pleased as I was that we choose Niue to visit and the Matavai Resort. Sure there were things that I could be picky about but when you talk to management and learn about their problems you get a better understanding of the place and how well they do. The resort staff can't just walk down to the shop to buy things if they unexpectedly run out or something breaks down. Our room was large, bed very comfortable, clean. Air con available if needed, bathroom big as well. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating, nothing was too much trouble. On the first night there was offered a free cocktail and I saw someone from the team go round and talk to every group of guests, a very welcome feeling. You could eat at the resort but if you wanted to go else where a shuttle was always provided if you didn't have a car. The view was lovely even if the dolphins were a bit shy. I have never been at a resort where the guests were so friendly, happy and relaxed, a reflection on the lovely feeling about the place. I do hope I get back to visit again and am sure the Matavai Resort will be my first choice in accommodation.

Room Tip: If you want total privacy and a better view then probably the top rooms would be the best. We had th...
1 Thank TaupoSheryll
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for your insightful review. It certainly helps our future guests to gain an understanding around just how remote Niue is. We appreciate you taking the time, and hope to see you again here in Niue.
Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a great trip to Niue a few weeks ago. We really enjoyed our stay at Matavai, the room was great, clean, tidy and spacious but we did have a few problems at the resort: we found the manager quite unfriendly and unapproachable, one night my partner ordered a chicken meal for dinner and the chicken was totally raw, the manager was in the restaurant at the time and didn't even offer us an apology, another member of staff offered us a free drink each and when we checked our bill at the end of the night they had still charged us for the uncooked and uneaten meal! We also have over $200 of incorrect charges in our tab at the end of the week, although the problem was sorted very quickly when we pointed the mistakes out. On the last day we signed up for the 10am shuttle which was to take us to the airport to check in and then drop us into Alofi for a few hours before collecting us and returning us to the airport, unfortunately the driver simply dropped us at the airport and left us there at 10am....this is not the type of airport you want to be stuck at for 5 hours!! Luckily we were able to catch a ride back to town with someone else!
The menu in the hotel restaurant is very limited and night times at the resort tend to be very quiet. I think a pool or table tennis table would be a very good addition to the hotel.
Despite these few problems we still had a great time and would definitely return to the Matavai resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clairewa86
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Matavai Resort. We appreciate all feedback we receive, and use this as an opportunity to improve our systems and experience for future guests. You will be glad to hear that our petanque court and table tennis areas are now complete, and our restaurant software is currently being updated to ensure we minimise any further issues around room charges. Our resort tends to be quiet at night as we provide shuttle services to take our guests out to experience the other cuisine options Niue has on offer.
I have looked into the situation around your meal and I apologise deeply that this occurred. I was personally not in Niue over this period of time however I appreciate that it appears that I need to work closely with the acting management team to learn from this situation and ensure any future issues may be dealt with more efficiently. Additionally the 10am driver drops our guests to check in, continues his run, then picks them back up to transport them to their preferred location for lunch before departure. On enquiring it seems that when he returned you were already gone. I will ensure all future guests clearly understand this procedure.
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Recently enjoyed time on Niue and the hospitality of local staff at the Matavai. The Matavai is a stunning resort in terms of its physical location and overall standard of accommodation and the friendliness of the local staff. There are a couple of areas though where it lets itself down.... whilst there are obvious limitations on the island re variety of food, the general standard during my visit was very average (but there are other options on the island where the standard is much higher and better value for money). Most disappointing however was the absence of a consistent standard of dress across the 'staff'. It would be great to see all the staff (i.e. the General Manager - and her partner who happened to be welcoming people when we arrived dressed in a shabbily looking shirt and shorts) dressed alike. The local staff were impeccably dressed in bright Pacific colours while the GM and her partner did not maintain the same standard at all. In fact I had to ask someone who they were as they appeared quite at odds with the environment they are working in. I've stayed at many resorts in the Pacific and in the vast majority the 'boss' is leading by example - it would be great if this were the case at the Matavai. Take a leaf out of Marie's appearance, warmth and obvious pride of the environment she works in - she is a wonderful asset to the Resort and oozes passion for Niue and ensuring guests have the best experience she can offer!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JoMika_63
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I do apologise that my standard of dress on arrival day clearly affected your experience so strongly, it is certainly relieving to know that it was the only thing that you felt let the Matavai Resort down.

There does however appear to have been some what of a misunderstanding. I arrived back in Niue on the same flight as you after an unexpected trip toNZ, and was only briefly at the resort to check on my team in an informal capacity before heading home. My partner and I briefly welcomed you as we recognised you from past visits. It was the role of Marie and my reception team to formally greet all our guests (wearing standard hotel dress uniform).
We are glad you and your boys took the opportunity to dine in other restaurants around Niue, we provide a shuttle service to ensure that guests can get out and about to see what Niue has to offer.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were a group of 6 and keen to have a great time. Niue is a virgin island with the most amazing of views . the diving and snorkelling facilities are superb and we has had a fantastic time with Shannon and Crystals team, Lance and Zoe were patient and professional in the water, a few of us were beginners and the experience was great.
The resort was clean and spacious rooms, great views , big bathrooms with hot water and well planned. The staff were very friendly and service was great, it would have been great to have more choice on the menu, however. Our request to have some custom dishes made was accepted and we had some delicious meals too.
Keith from commodore tours was very friendly, informative and very helpful and professional, to tally informative and even gave us photos of us on a CD .
Would recommend a trip to Niue and I would go back again.....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Sanjay N
Thank you for your review of Matavai. It was our pleasure to host your lovely friendly family, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to see you again in the future.
North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Matavai Resort. The only negative was it wasn't long enough!! The rooms are modern and clean with very comfortable beds. The outdoor area had comfortable seating along with a clothes line - much appreciated for drying swimming things etc. The restaurant menu is not extensive compared to Auckland but its variety is amazing considering everything has to be freighted up there. Thank you to all the staff who make everyone feel special. I can recommend a piña colada at the pool bar to watch the sunset. We will be back :-)

1 Thank Ellen D
Thank you for your lovely comments about Matavai Resort. The team are extremely grateful, it's great to have guests review Matavai who truly appreciate just how unique Niue is. We hope to see you again later this year.
Waihi Beach, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had heard so much about Niue and we believe it was even better than what we had heard. Matavai Resort, especially the superior room, was wonderful and we could not speak more highly about the staff, from reception to the ever friendly grounds people. Just a small gripe re the final bill, we were charged twice for the 1st night buffet and had to question the bar tab a couple of times but by the same token there was no arguments and settled with apologies. They need to tidy up that aspect as others had the same problem. It is so easy to sign for each charge. We had a couple of wet days and thought it was a shame the Resort did not have its own health spa as I am sure it would have been well used.
The food was wonderful, from the Resort to all over the whole island and there are a number of cafe or restaurants to choose from. We never had a bad meal and all with great service. In general the island is more for the adventurous but it certainly had its rewards. Every sea track was different with the highlight being the Toga Chasm. Not for the faint hearted but mind blowing once you got there. The island was spotless, no graffiti or any rubbish and the people immaculate and so friendly. We were told that when we were finished with our rental just leave at airport on last day unlocked with the keys in the ignition! How would that go at Auckland? Twice at restaurants we were told just help yourself to a drink and let us know when you settle what you had. The Washaway Cafe is an inspiration where you just write down what you have in an exercise book. Finally may I recommend The Commodore's Orientation Tour. We took this tour with Keith on the day we arrived and this set us up for the whole week. He gave us maps and timetables we could use for exploring and generally knew everything about the island and the people which made it so easy for the rest of the week. Drinks and nibbles were thrown in and we ended up using one of his walking poles for the whole week. Keith took photos of our tour as we went around and presented us with 3 CD's of our photos and others as a keepsake.
Overall a wonderful Island and I would love to go back and finish the adventure. I would definitely return to the Resort especially the superior rooms

Room Tip: Anywhere will give you a sea view. The superior rooms just gives you that bit of luxury.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Barry J
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Matavai Resort. I am glad the island surpassed your expectations. I have noted your comments with regard to charging and am in the process of reviewing our procedures to ensure that these payment issues do not continue in the future. We look forward to seeing you again at Matavai Resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was our first trip to Niue and the Matavai was an excellent base for our week on the island. We stayed in one of Cliff Top rooms, which was modern, large and clean with a nice balcony area. The highlight of the resort was definitely the pool deck area, a great spot to watch the sunset during happy hour.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. For example I forgot to bring my contact lens case with me on the trip and the next morning the concierge had one waiting for me. We also really enjoyed the Uga demonstration as well, hosted by Bev.

The food at the restaurant was really nice, but my only negative comment is that the menu lacked some variety and could have had more locally inspired dishes. We had 3 nice meals at the resort though and with other excellent food options around Niue it wasn’t an issue.

We would definitely recommend for anyone to stay here!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MatavaiGM, General Manager at Scenic Matavai Resort Niue, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Matavai Resort. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. We are pleased to announce a new menu starting 1st of June 2014 celebrating local cuisine. This has been a long process for us as Niue has a very small population and limited access to supplies however we have worked closely over the past few years with local suppliers to ensure consistent produce and will now be showcasing some of Niue's fantastic products on our new menu. Come back and check it out some time soon!

Been to Scenic Matavai Resort Niue? Share your experiences!