“Descent place to stay in Palau”

Palau Plantation Resort
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights in Palau Plantation Resort in Feb 2013.
Initially we booked a suite/ villa as we plan to visit Palau with our boys. We reserved the villa and paid the deposit. However, we changed our mind and decided to go without the kids. By that time there was no more cabin room for us. The manager decided to give us a 20% discount to stay in the villa.
The villa was facing the riverside and the mountain. It's about 5 min trip by shuttle, 15 min walk by foot to the downtown. It's located inside the bush and dense vegetation, connected to the downtown with a small road. There were not many guests in this hotel, you seemed to stay in a hotel with great privacy. It was very spacious with an open kitchen and a living room. It's far more enough for a couple.
We used the kitchen every morning for our breakfast. We just dined once in the hotel's restaurant in the night of arrival. The food quality was reasonable but it's slightly overpriced c.f. those restaurant in the downtown.
We did not join the tours offered by the hotel as we dove for 5 days with Fish n Fins.
The only drawback was the poor Wi-fi signal in the room. Besides, the choices of channels of the cable TV was quite limited.
Overall the rating was good. For kids, you may want to stay in a bigger hotel with beaches and bigger pools. This hotel may be good for couples only. Last but not least, the guests here are mainly Japanese.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Palau Plantation Resort for 4 nights, this place definitely grows on you...
Arrived at PPR at 2ish in the morning, the girl at the front desk was friendly and efficient, quickly gave me some informational handouts, welcome snacks & showed me to my room.
My room was room bamboo - 1 of the cheapest.  The room was comfortable & the hotel blends into the environment, much less of an eye sore vs the cement hotels especially when viewed from the water.  I would say the rooms are 3/4 stars category.  But everything was provided incl razor, conditioner, kettle etc.  My room was on the 2nd floor above the jungle bar & had a little balcony & view of the plantation & further away a glimpse of the rock islands & water.  No wifi except in the internet room.  The room was small but did not feel claustrophic, thanks to the high ceiling.  Service was friendly & good, they helped with booking the dives with Neco Marine, restaurants in town & other tours, for competent kayakers the hotel has its own dock & you can be immediately among the rock islands....being a smaller hotel I found the staff to be quite sweet and sincere, most staff were either Japanese or Filipino, all good and they quickly grew on me.
Food at the hotel was not bad but quality varied.   Lunch's chef salad was a sad affair, Teppanaki dinner was a disappointment, best choices were BBQs of local fish, squid, clams & mangroves crab, fresh & a bargain for the amount of food.  The chef once BBQed a 2nd fish for me because he thought his 1st was not good enough, even though it was perfectly fine.  The sizzling plates were also good.    My dinner at Elelai (the second highest ranked restaurant on tripadvisor) had nicer atmo vs the hotel restaurant, but frankly the food was not any better. (My two best meals both came from the Drop Off restaurant)
But I came to Palau not for food but for the magical rock islands, the dramatic jellyfish lake & the spectacular diving, my first choice to stay originally was Palau pacific resort (more luxe & central location) but now that I've been to the more family feel/intimate Plantation resort, if I do come back to Palau, would want to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank Anilegna
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The staff can made your days here! Very friendly, very attentive. The resort contains 20 rooms only. Very well-appointed, even because of the totaly wet climate. Wi-fi is very slow and need to be upgraded. We had insuite connection, but the majority of rooms no. Overwise, very good stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alexzhdanov
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Honestly, it is not a luxury resort. But you can feel yourself very special, anyway. Small boutique style property, our huge suite and excellent smiley staff can made your days here. The location is fab, the only issue was very slow wi-fi connection, even at lobby. Anyway, enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

By staying more than 5 nights and booking through the hotel homepage we got a good deal on this hotel. The location was good and if walking to town was too far in the rain we got the free shuttle bus. Included in our pack was free breakfast, free kayak tour and free massage. The room wasn't the best, a little small and dark, but we managed and it was clean and had good amenities.It was a little noisy at night, when it seems most people arrive and depart. The best point was that we could kayak directly from the dock at the hotel when the tide was high and soon we were in the rock islands. The kayak guide was really nice and helped us with our own kayak excursions.

Room Tip: Premium cabins are a bit small but not bad for the price.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet K
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Staying at this resort was an excellent experience. This was the most expensive accommodation I stayed at while travelling in Asia (including Tokyo), but it did not disappoint. The resort did give us a free upgrade from the Premium Cabin to the Superior Cottage, for which I am forever grateful.

Highlights:

-The upgrade is truly a major reason why I was so happy with this experience. We felt like we were at home in this jungle-view getaway. The shower/tub was next to a huge window with no curtain....it felt like showering in the jungle! The high, peak ceiling made it feel very roomy. The balcony was a personal highlight – it was large with a spectacular view of the jungle. I cherished my daily routine of smoking cigars and drinking Koror’s Red Rooster beer while on this balcony. And our cottage was right on the edge of the property, which is a location I really liked as sometimes the pool area was noisy. We were in the Star Apple cottage, or #3017.

-The airport pick-up and drop-off is also a major perk. Our flight was about 2 hours late, but representative was still there waiting for us at 3:00am. And the seashell necklace was a pleasant surprise upon pick-up.

-Also appreciated was the late check-out at no extra charge. Since we checked in so late for our first night, it was the right thing for them to do (without having to ask).

-Upon check-in, the resort also gave us vouchers for free fruit smoothies/shakes. These were delicious. They also provided a 10% discount voucher for the Jungle Bar. This was an incentive to go in and try it out. At the advice of a local, we tried the fried ice cream. It did not disappoint, and I highly recommend it. It costs $10, but it is large and comfortably feeds two people.

-Location: for those who want to be close to town, this resort is a great choice. While you’re not on a beach, you have access to all the comforts of a town. Grocery shopping, beer/alcohol, souvenirs, museums/attractions, restaurants, and massages are all at your fingertips at this location. It is a very easy walk from the resort to town, which is about 10 minutes through residential roads. There are even small shops along the way, so you may be able to purchase what you need just seconds away from the resort. We did this walk at least a couple of times a day, day and night. There are even ‘lanterns’ in your room if you want to make this walk at night.

Other tips and items worth mentioning:

-While the resorts and excursions are quite expensive, prices of things in town (e.g., restaurants, groceries, beer/alcohol) are reasonable by Canadian price standards. For instance, you can get a can of Carlsberg beer for $1, and you can pay less than this for other beers if you buy a case. We even found a place to go for a donut and coffee in the morning.

-There is free Wi-Fi access in the lobby area, where the chairs are located. But note that the signal strength is quite weak, and not strong enough for Skype. It also made for a slow e-mailing process.

-I’m not sure why, but the airport security process getting to Palau was intense. I’m not sure if this is because of the airline we were with (United), the departure city (Manila), the destination, or perhaps there was a specific security threat. On the way to Palau we were asked for proof that we had booked our departure flight tickets on three separate occasions. And right at the flight gate before boarding for the Palau flight, I went through the most intense security process than anywhere else in my travels. It was like a security assembly line....first we went to a station where they physically searched every carry-on item; then off to a separate person who pats you down; then off to another person who examines your shoes. And we went through all this after having already gone through security twice before that in the same airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank product-of-canada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the Palau Plantation Resort and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff is absolutely wonderful. They greeted us by name each day and were always helpful. We really enjoyed the experience of staying in the jungle and the incorporation of traditional architectural details into the grounds and cabins.

Some reviews have mentioned the prices of the restaurant and bar. We didn't find them top expensive. It's true, you can find cheaper food in town, but you won't be able to eat it in such a beautiful setting. The menus incorporate dishes using local ingredients (fish, shellfish, taro, etc), which we also enjoyed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple