“Beautiful Place”

Palau Pacific Resort
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Koror
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort before and after our Liveaboard trip on Ocean Hunter I and had a lovely time. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the air conditioning works very well. All the staff were very helpful and seemed genuinely friendly, you meet them once and they will remember your name for next time even though this is not a small resort. We used the laundry service which was brilliant and quick, so no washing for us when we got home! The restaurant and bars are not cheap but the food is of a good quality so you do not mind. The buffet dinner always has an amazing selection and we had a great evening at their Thanks giving night. They have a couple of shops that sell tourist gifts. We were told that "Tebang" was one of the best places to get a storyboard so we visited the workshop and got a beautiful piece, the shop sells these pieces too and we were pleasantly surprised that they were not maked up terribly compared with what we paid so worth a visit if you have not managed to get to "Tebang". The private beach is well maintained and clean and not too busy. The spa is also well worth a visit.
The hotel is a little out of the way of the main town but we only had a few nights here so it was not an issue for us to stay and eat at the hotel. Any trips we had organised with Fish 'n' Fins had transport provided and the hotel itself provided a shuttle service to the airport.
Should we ever return to Palau (so many places to see in the world) we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Although some of the rooms are called "Garden rooms" and are cheaper we still had a sea vi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mary E

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The hotel staff is excellent. I can not say enough about ALL of them! From house keeping to concierge to the gift shop and the pool bar and so on! The staff makes the place personal and intimate. I generally like smaller places so the service seems personal and I have a chance to get to know some folks and I did here and I was not expecting that.

I wanted to stay here from the first time I started planning my trip, but as this was a 3 week long trip with stops first in Micronesia, I had second thoughts on the expense and booked elsewhere. We arrived in Palau at midnight and were taken to the hotel I had booked. By 10:30 the next morning I was on the grounds of this hotel. They saved this last leg of my vacation and it was the perfect place for a perfect ending to a perfect vacation!

The pictures hold true I think to what the resort is like. We had a second floor room which has the vaulted ceilings. I prefer 2nd floor because then I can leave the window coverings open more and not worry about folks being able to see in. We were in cluster 6 which the balcony side is a view of a beautiful and fairly large fish pond with a waterfall and turtles and sting rays. They have feedings here you can attend twice a day. It was one of the best "garden views" I have ever had in a hotel.

The room style is older I will say that. It is a shower tub combination which at this price you would not expect and the flooring is older style tiles, but it all seemed in good repair with small updates and was very, very clean and who doesn't like turn down service with the chocolate on your pillow. The toilets are great! The beds are a little to firm for me, but I have found in Asia they tend to be and there are a lot of Asian tourists to this island.

Our room came with the breakfast buffet and I am told that is the only way they do it now. I think at one time there was an option. It is a big buffet and they do have an egg station where you can get eggs, omelets, waffles, pancakes….all fresh made. It is a large buffet that seems to cater to all breakfast styles from American to Asian to European. We were very pleased with it. We ended up eating all our dinners here as well. The dinner buffet is very pricy, but off the menu I did not find it to be any different than most any hotel. They do have a fancier restaurant that is expensive that is enclosed with a/c. They have the beach bbq restaurant where you select seafood, meats or combination and cook yourself on a grill in the middle of the table right on the beach. Lastly there is always the pool/beach bar menu which is available all the time. Prices on there for example were a $13 club sandwich with fries. They had a pasta dish for the same price that I loved. So there are price options.

There are a couple of trails you can hike which we did not get to. I did get a massage at the spa and was very pleased. The pool hut for towels was open very early till late which was nice. I simply loved it here! I did not find the location to be far out of the way at all. There is no reason to be hesitant about staying here. Just book and enjoy!

One last side note - it seems most of the employees are Palauan or from nearby islands which I appreciated as one, they would tell you stories of growing up there and tid bits about the island, the government etc. Many other places were employees from other countries, certainly nothing against that but through conversation I learn they are not long term residents and don't have the history to share.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 - 4 are closest to the pool and food area, which takes away some privacy. Buildings 6,7...
2  Thank 2bookit
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We pretty much echo all the good comments here. It is true that if you compare the prices to resorts in other places, you might expect something much fancier, especially the rooms, which could use some updating. But once we removed ourselves from the overpriced nature of Palau, we really fell in love with this place. It is definitely set up to cater to divers (with hanging racks for wet clothes, a pro shop, and house reef on the property). The snorkeling right off the beach is surprisingly good and the beach itself is beautiful in a place that isn’t really focused on beautiful beaches. The food was great (again expensive) and a lovely, generous breakfast is included. We loved the themed buffet nights, even though I don’t really consider us buffet people. (The Asian ones were the best.) If you can, take advantage of the spa. The services were EXCELLENT and the prices were reasonable for a resort of this nature. The best part of PPR is the staff. Friendly, helpful, genuinely want you to enjoy your vacation. PPR is not too fancy but perfectly lovely and understated and feels like home very quickly. I can see why people return over and over again.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We are on our way back from PPR. It was amazing. This was our 2nd visiting and it was even better than our previous trip.

Our room was perfect and the food at the Coconut Terrace was delicious. All meals were wonderful. My favorite was the Palauan feast.

The service from the staff was welcoming. I cannot say enough god things about this resort.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Would we return? Absolutely. Is it expensive? Absolutely. Palau and the PPR are very nice. Snorkeling at the resort is good, although the coral is way better in the Rock Islands (especially way more colorful). The PPR staff was absolutely first rate, the main restaurant excellent, and the general facilities all nice, in our experience. That said, here are some issues, in no particular order. We were given the most distant room. Our room number was on most signs because, well, it was the highest room number, way down next to the Japanese Embassy (really). Unfortunately it was quite a walk, which was an issue at times. The room itself was okay, but rather basic for $499 (+) per night. The shower was just a shower hose on a too-low hook in a bath tub, so just functional. The room safe was too small for even one of our two laptops (we had business in Tokyo later), and given our room location, the hotel safe was way too far away to bother, so we mostly took our chances by leaving them in the room (which turned out okay). The supposed king bed was actually two full beds pushed together (so really big), which wasn't great, but not too bad. Our view was not of the resort waterfront, but rather of a scenic side channel... unexpected, but peaceful and not bad. We spent just a little time on the room deck, which had lots of no-see-um (very small) bugs, which is common in the tropics, so no big deal. Surprisingly, we saw no bugs at all in our room, so there could not have been many (and we had no bites). We took the bus to town for supplies and dinner one evening, which was easy in going, but had to call a taxi to get back. No big deal, but paying for the multi-day bus pass (the only kind, I think) was a waste for us... perhaps not a waste if you stay long enough. We went on a kayaking/snorkel trip one day and the Rock Island and Jellyfish Lake snorkel two days later with Sam's Tours. Both days were excellent (first rate service and destinations), and they pick you up at the PPR dock (then return you via car). As for hotel costs... we arrived at PPR from Guam (long connection from Hong Kong) at about 9:30PM, so not an unusual check-in time. Our check out was exactly four (4) days later, also at 9:30PM, but we had to pay for five (5) nights (at only a slight savings, $420 rather than $499, for the last night, er, evening). We had originally planned to avoid this excess expense by transferring to a cheap hotel for the last few hours (for a shower and rest after our second snorkel trip) but decided that it was just too much trouble. The $420 was a lot for the four hours, but given all the nighttime flights to/from Palau, I guess this is common. In summary, we hope to go back to Palau and would likely stay at PPR again. Go and enjoy. Expect the expense, a nice resort, and great adventures.

Room Tip: Noise was not an issue while we were there. A room fairly close to the resort center should be okay...
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Very nice hotel over a nice beach. Do not expect a small boutique hotel or a top top luxury, but is really a nice place with very attentive people and good food on quality and variety. The rooms are acceptable, and the pool just OK, but the highlight is the beach and the activities around, including everhing you would expect (kayak, diving, etc.). The concierges are great to help you arranging trips on the country.

And the country is pure beauty, a boat from the hotel will take you to paradise in a few minutes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

we spent a week during christmas holiday.
like most of these remote places, you fly in the middle of the night and arrive exhausted.
we are 4 and they fit us in a room where we could hardly walk, with 4 beds... we went to sleep and, the following morning, told them to rearrange and they managed.
from that moment on, everything was smooth and enjoyable.
the hotel was busy, but not too much. considering there's almost nothing outside the hotel and the only nice beach is this, you end up spending almost all of your time in the hotel.
you can take a taxi to the city center, which has a few restaurants and shops, but keep in mind it might take you a while to find a taxi to go back.
the facilities are good and well maintained, but there are not enough umbrellas on the beach, considering that, if the sun shines, it can be very hot.
there are 3 restaurants: one where you have breakfast (but can also have all the meals), a bbq on the beach and a third one, a bit overpriced especially if you visit it with children.
the service is good and pretty attentive, the variety of food, presentation and quality are good and the chef, tony, makes the best pancakes ever, especially when he has the time to make funny shapes and make the day of every child.
the rooms are clean and spacious, but you miss a place (except a string in the bathroom) where hang your wet bathing suit, or shirts or towels. a small hidden rack on the side of the balcony would do. the one they provide is actually not the most suitable.
there's also a swimming pool - if you really don't want to enjoy the beautiful sea - which is good if you have young children, who are still afraid of the open water. they also provide beach toys (which I think it's great), to return after the kids played with them.
the diving center is well equipped and the crews on the boat are always very helpful and nice.
diving is just a must. otherwise, just enjoy the beauty of the fish you can see snorkeling, not far from the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family