We are a family of four, girl of 13 and boy of 10. We looked at Palau and hotel reviews carefully before settling on Airai. Palau is all about excursions so we knew we would not be in the hotel much and so did not need luxury.
First the good - the hotel has a teak, continental decor with interesting storyboards in the lounge. The breakfast is decent if unspectacular. The pool and waterslides were good fun, especially as we had the whole thing to ourselves. We ate in the restaurant one night and were pleasantly surprised by the decent grub. The staff are friendly and offer up lots of smiles.
The bus runs to 'town' (basically, a few shops and restaurants) does not take too long.
Not so good - the musty smell many reviews report is quite evident. The place is feeling its age and looks quite worn and creaky in places. I went down for a nightcap to the bar one night at 10:30 PM and was told it was closed. Apparently no one was able to open the fridge three feet from us and sell me a can of beer. Free wifi only in the lobby and a poor connection at that. The bus does not run frequently, and has to be booked an hour in advance (but, many of the restaurants run their own shuttle service to the hotel).
Overall, we feel we made the right choice. The price was reasonable and spent most of our time away from the hotel, so it was just a place to put our head down at night. The Palau excursions were great and we would go back.
One small complaint - we had a standard room, which apparently meant the balcony had no table or chairs. I asked for one, and got a small hard bench and chair. I like to sit out on my balcony with a drink at the end of the day on holiday, so that was a disappointment - I have never seen a resort hotel with no balcony furniture before (the more expensive rooms had it though...).
In sum, a value-for-money basic resort hotel that is fine for a short stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- *Antique Palaun Castle 2010 Whole New Renovation--The most traditional hotel with the newest facilities! The largest Story Board and the magnificent history exhibition highlight the cultural wonder of the paradise.*Largest Water Park--720 degree slide, speedy slide, spa pools and Olympic pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Airai Water Paradise Hotel And Spa
- Airai Water Paradise Hotel Koror
- Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa Palau/Koror, South Pacific