Given the not so vast choice and excruciating prices in Honiara, I had my doubts about this place, however it turned out to be top choice and certainly better option than the Kitano, and maybe even the Heritage. Here's what makes the King Sol so special:
1) Location- perfectly located at a short, safe walk from the main street. Felt safe walking there even at night. All good restaurants, AusAid and other offices, are up to 10 min away walking.
2) Rooms- spacious, well-equipped with sitting area, place to hang your clothes, an iron.. Nothing out of the ordinary, but good comfort, with a kettle, big flat-screen TV with a good choice of English news and movie channels, flyscreens on the windows. Surely, the airco is a bit loud, which might be a problem if you want to have it on while you sleep. As European, we tend to avoid the airco as much as possible, and thus switch it on only to cool the room down, after which we use only the fan.
3) Service- especially the cleaning ladies were amazing! Impeccable and always with a smile. Made me feel very welcome during a rather long (3 weeks) stay. Also the reception front staff were always friendly, and even though of course things need time to happen in Solomons, in the end it always worked out.
3) Breakfast: Oh, I so much loved the breakfast! Fresh coconuts, a huge selection of fresh fruit, delicious pancakes and even omlettes were provided every day; as well as a changing hot buffet with asian-influenced noodles etc. Pretty good!
4) Gym and pool: Now, let's be honest, if you end up in Honiara it will probably be for work. Exercising may not be high on your list, but should you wish to do it, King Sol's small gym is a positive surprise. Cardio section has two rowing machines, a threadmill, a bicycle and a crosstrainer, all functioning. The weights section has some huge multi-purpouse machine that I didn't dare to use, but there is a good choice of free weights, as well as a couple of benches. Enough for me. Plus you can do your stretching at the small, but clean and refreshing pool.
Some other useful information:
Lunch/ dinner: I didn't quite like the King Sol restaurant for dinner, preferred much more the (super slow!!!) Kitano Mendana facilities. For lunch, Breakwater cafe is the best, and the Lime Lounge next to King Sol also offers good choices. All restaurants in Honiara are very expensive, so be aware.
Noise: Yes, there is some noise on the weekends, so better pre-arrange a room high up. Still, for the entire period, noise never lasted after 1am.
Internet: The infamous Bumblebee cards still provide the first choice alternative for getting on the web. They cost SBD 250 for 250 MB of access within a period of 7 days. Wifi reception improved significantly towards the end of my stay, I think they installed some new cell, so it went really smoothly. 250 MB is not a lot- if you use skype with a video it's gone in 20 minutes; but just calling is ok. I also found the wifi at the Mendana to be very fast and reliable and a bit cheaper (60 SBD for 90 MB).
Overall, I had a great stay at the King Solomon and will gladly be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The King Solomon Hotel specialises in long term accommodation, with a selection of self contained rooms and apartments available in the heart of Honiara.You will find the 'King Sol' nestled amidst lush green gardens, within easy walking distance of the Solomon Island's Cultural Museum, banks, business houses, shopping centers and cafes.The King Solomon Hotel offers fast wireless internet connection, Honiara's top chefs and friendliest staff, a beautiful waterfall swimming pool, a gym and nightly entertainment. Conference facilities are also available for up to 200 people.Many rooms have views across Iron Bottom Sound to Savo Island and beyond. Enjoy the friendly atmosphere and fast service at the hotel's popular Bamboo Bar Cafe. The King Solomon Hotel is your ideal corporate stopover or holiday base. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your King Solomon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King Solomon Hotel Solomon Islands/Honiara