“A nice hotel but some improvements in customer service needed”

and 1 more site!
Solomon Kitano Mendana Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Honiara
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“A nice hotel but some improvements in customer service needed”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Part of the hotel has been renovated, part has not. The rooms on the West Wing are quite poor, with some overlooking a car park rather than the sea. We were told our room overlooked the pool and sea but it did not. We eventually managed to change to a much better room but it took some persuasion. The service was OK but not brilliant. For example, the towels are collected for washing about 9:00 am but fresh towels are not provided until much later. The reason given was that there are not enough! The Japanese restaurant is superb. The Capitana Restaurant is good but not as good as the Japanese one.

Excellent gift shop for many varieties of carvings etc. but the staff do not arrive on time to open it and the staff are not particularly helpful or friendly.

Overall an OK stay and we would go back - provided we could get one of the better rooms again!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms directly facing the sea.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wijemanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I first stayed in this hotel several years ago and after reading some of the reviews for the less expensive rooms, I was hesitant. Earlier this year I stayed in King Solomons. But the "Garden View" room I had at Mendana was fine. It was very clean, had all of the basic amenities you need and had a choice of restaurants in the hotel. Yes, my room did need upgrading, but everything worked fine, and it was quite large. Be aware though, that there are no windows, only a sliding glass door that you can't open in the evening (due to mosquitoes) and there's no fan, so you're left with air conditioning which smells a bit stale and dusty by the morning. Great location, good place to meet, decent bar, good restaurants and the service was good.

Room Tip: Friday nights in the bar next door are quite loud in the Garden View rooms right til 2am
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Elanora, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel by western standards is well below par in pretty much every respect. The rooms are dingy and need a total refurbishment. Hot water often simply stops running as do the ancient air conditioners and believe me you need them in that climate.

Unfortunately the staff are verypoorly trained and the restaurant is very basic at best. The bar is a little behind the times and frequented mainly by locals attempting to sell timber licenses - mainly bogus.

A sad reflection on something that was obviously a much better hotel in days gone by.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Honiara hotels

Wellington
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Room was clean and bathroom well stocked with products. Apart from a bath-tub drain that didn't look like it could cope too well with high-pressure water, everything else functioned in the room. The room looked exactly like the picture on their website and the bathroom was well lit where the mirror also happened to be partially heated so you could still use it even after steaming up the room.

No bottled water/ drinks in the fridge which was a little surprising but bottled water was easy to get next door at the petrol station.

House-keeping staff there were helpful when I had trouble working out how to use the key for the first time and when I requested some bug spray.

Wifi didn't quite reach my room but is a little on the expensive side anyway should you need to access it. The phone didn't come with any instructions on how to dial out, what to press for reception etc.

You have to remind yourself that you are still in a developing country where power outages still occur and the generator kicks in to keep you comfortable.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: If choosing the Seaview East rooms try to request a room furtherest away from the generator and/or b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Selina T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was the second trip to the Solomons with the purpose of Diving first time just blokes so quality wasn't overly important but it was acceptable
This year we took our wives so upgraded to east view ocean rooms after hassle on arrival and discussions with management we eventually got the rooms we had requested although one couple had to wait a day and two of the guys had to settle for one of the old rooms
These newly renovated rooms were very nice and except for the argument over the room cost on our bill at departure we were happy with what we had
I would stay there again but only in the new rooms
The Island night was well worth the cost as was the Japanese Restaurant but for breakfast I would recommend walking next door
The diving is brilliant and recommend Neil Yates @ Tulagi Dive for a great safe time

Room Tip: Eastern seaview is what I would suggest
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Not a great start to our holiday - let's see - the bed was broken, there was only one towel, our toilet stopped flushing and was not fixed when we asked, and the place was dirty - the dining room was not cleaned between dinner and breakfast the next day. The place seemed badly managed, with staff seeming like they didn't want to be there, and being badly trained (for example, they got drink orders wrong, did not serve cocktails, did not offer to carry bags, and reception tried to charge us for our accommodation for which we had pre-paid ). However the worst thing was that next door was a yachtclub with a VERY loud band that played until 3am. It sounded like it was playing on our balcony, it was so loud. Apparently this happens every weekend, which our agent neglected to tell us (won't be using them again!!).

Room Tip: Avoid Fridays and Saturdays
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have not stayed here for some time, due to the condition of the place last time. Sadly, although I tried other hotels in Honiara they are either hugely expensive(Heritage Park) or under staffed (King Solomon).
So I had read some better reports about the Mendana and decided to give it another go. The overall condition of the hotel has improved a lot, the room was clean and comfortable. The wifi internet was good, and for me that is important!
Restaurant is OK. Same every day though, a limited lunch and dinner menu which is quite easy to go through in a one week stay! Food is well presented and very well cooked.
Staff are good and, mostly, helpful.
The only negative for me, was that there was no cold water in my room for the entire stay. I reported on my first day, that the cold water was only a dribble and that the cold water tap in my bathroom could not be turned off, so that dribble was constant 24 hours a day! To have a shower I had to turn the cold on full and the hot on about 3%and literally move around under the nozzle to get wet. Usually in the Pacific it is a lack of hot water that is common this is the first time I have ever come across a lack of cold water! After 6 days it still was not fixed and only after I filled out the customer form and handed it in on my departure did a manager come and ask what the problem was.
But in the overall scheme of things, for a Honiara hotel this is getting much better.
I had a "Garden View" room which should really be called Satellite Dish and Parking Lot view room :)

Room Tip: East wing "Seaview" are the newer rooms, West Wing and Garden View are older, stay away fr...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honiara
Heritage Park Hotel Honiara
Evis Resort at Nggatirana Island
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
#8 of 9 in Honiara

Been to Solomon Kitano Mendana Hotel? Share your experiences!