“Not of my choosing.”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Honiara
Summerville, South Carolina
“Not of my choosing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Problems included TV did not work, water worked intermittently, lots of critters, bed was on wheels, neighborhood security, internet charges, lack of baggage service and staff responsiveness. The positives include the restaurant and entertainment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Summary:
- No baggage service - carry your own bags
- Noisy rooms
- Generally very good food in the restaurants
- Very very sloooowwwww disorganized service in both restaurants
- Friendly staff
- Outrageous internet charges - bring a wireless modem with you, walk 200m east from the hotel and buy a prepaid data sim at bmobile which will cost about 1/5 of the hotel charge.
- Overpriced continental breakfast
- I would not stay here again

Details:
This hotel claims 3.5 stars. In my experience to get 3.5 stars requires luggage service to your room. We had to lug our bags up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator) to our room - no porters. There are three accommodation buildings in this hotel: the East WIng, the main building and the West Wing. The highest standard of accommodation is in the main building where the Executive rooms are located. These cost more than either the West or East Wings and would be 3 to 3.5 star if there was a luggage service. The East Wing is definitely 2 stars and suffers from noise from the Yacht Club next door on Friday and Saturday nights to 3am. The West WIng room where we stayed was also 2 to 2.5 stars. It had a sliding interconnecting door to the next room. This door had a 2" (50mm) gap so that all conversations, TV etc from next door could be clearly heard in our room. On two nights we had noisy neighbors who kept us awake. However the West Wing is further away from the Yacht Club so no ADDITIONAL sleep disturbance on Friday and Saturday nights.

On Wednesday nights there is a buffet in the Capitano Restaurant. You need to book for this and we did. It was a mistake. The food is reasonable but the ravenous crowd ensures that unless you get there right at the start you will stand in a queue for 30 minutes and then be disappointed with the unreplenished leftovers. Also on Wednesday nights the hotel puts on local dancing and music in the lobby outside the Capitano restaurant and directly in front of the main building. That was quite good and interesting.

The rate we had did not include breakfast. There is buffet breakfast where you can have a continental (uncooked) breakfast or a full (cooked) breakfast. The full breakfast was reasonable value at 110 Solomon Dollars (about US 15), but the continental breakfast (toast and a cup of coffee) was a rip-off at 90 Solomon Dollars (about US 12).

The staff are very friendly but incompetent. The kitchen is unbelievably slow. That applies to both the Capitano and Japanese restaurants. You can expect to order first courses and mains, wait a very long time and then have your meals arrive in no particular order. We were in a group. For one of our evening meals one of our group ordered spaghetti bolognese as a main, my wife had ordered a main as well as calamari as a first course while I had ordered a pizza with specific toppings. My wife's main arrived first, then everyone else received their meals. 45 minutes later most of the group had finished their meals. At this point my wife's first course arrived. We inquired about the spaghetti bolognese and pizza. After a further 20 minutes (over an hour since ordering) the rest of the group left. I was left with my wife waiting for my pizza. The spaghetti bolognese and pizza finally arrived - 75 minutes after ordering, but the person who had ordered it had left after waiting an hour. Any resemblance between the toppings on my pizza and what I had ordered was purely coincidental but I was too tired and hungry to complain as I was concerned that I'd have to wait another 75 minutes!

This was not an isolated incident - there was always a long wait with haphazard order of meals. My wife and I had a meal together at the Japanese restaurant. We ordered starters and mains. The starters were delivered when we were half way through our mains, at which time I asked when we might expect to receive the pre-dinner drinks we had ordered.

This hotel was booked as part of a diving package holiday. I don't know what the other hotels in Honiara are like, but if I were to return to Honiara I would definitely not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel choose an Executive room or else a room in the West Wing with no inte...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Honiara hotels

Tempe, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Really nice hotel for the place. Room was spacious, cool, well appointed, nice view. Food and beverage in bar and restaurant fine. Okay, it was Friday night with live music out by the pool which got progressively louder, added attraction was karaoke during band time outs, in fairness it did stop at 10pm and it was Friday night. However than the nearby nightclub carried the noise baton into the wee hours. Housekeeping started banging around, I mean really noisy at 6 am. Our stay was punctuated a staff member with a hammer changing the number on our door at around nine. Maybe one of the few places this nice in town, but besides the nightclub this all in their control. Also Internet did not work and they took charge off bill.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William S
Male
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I like the house front & Restaurant is very good but expensive. Rooms are very poorly maintained. Be aware of brownish hot water. Though I had a confirmed booking I had to wait until 3pm to check Inn.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Clean room, bay view, good service but don't even think of using the internet....at US$2/min! A friend didn't realize an connected to check mail --- disconnected when she learned and had a $65 bill! Nice location, meals with uneven service but food OK.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DTAsia
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

After reading TripAdvisor reviews and on the recommendation of our travel agent we chose to stay in a sea view east room at this hotel. It is located in the city right next to the dive shop, craft centre, the stunning Breakwater cafe and close to the central market. Our room was very modern, clean and well appointed with a comfortable bed, crisp white sheets, a fridge, safe, indoor and outdoor seating. We had to ask for an extra towel as only 2 thin towels were provided and this arrived in less than a minute.
It also took a bit of convincing to arrange a late check out, however they did accommodate us in the end which meant we were able snorkel the nearby Bonegi wrecks and return for a shower before flying out. This was a great option for our overnight stay and I would recommend this place provided you go for a sea view east room.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view east rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ausigirlcat
Noumea, New Caledonia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Pay extra to be in the East wing (lwhich doesn't have wifi, only ethernet..). Expensive hotel for what you get (cleaning and service isn't the best..). Go to little snacks around for breakfast, cheaper and better than the buffet proposed by the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SarahNC26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honiara
King Solomon Hotel
#3 of 3 in Gizo
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
Iron Bottom Sound Hotel
#8 of 9 in Honiara

Been to Solomon Kitano Mendana Hotel? Share your experiences!