“The Bonegis...”
Review of Bonegi I and II

Bonegi I and II
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Honiara
More attraction details
Owner description: Two popular dive sites off the coast of Honiara.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We've dived these wrecks several times and they are always good fun. As they are shore dives, they start off nice and shallow and the drop away down the reef, so you can basically spend as much time as you like in the sunny shallows with all the animals, or drop down deep to almost 40 meters at the stern. As the wrecks are only about 40 minutes from Honiara, it's a very pleasant and easy drive down the 'highway' to the beach. There is also a local war museum in the area where a local Islander has collected a lot of intersting war relics (for thise interested).

All reviews
"yacht club"
"day trip"
"ship wreck"

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Unfortunately there was an onshore wind with waves and the visibility was down to 5 to 15 metres. I'm sure on a good day these would be nice dives.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

One of the most visited places on Honiara due to the history of surrounding the shipwrecks. There's not much of a wreck to see now days. There wasn't much fish around the corals. Good place to start if you want to learn how to dive. It's a private property and bargain the cost with the local at the door. We had plenty of boxes of bottled water with us and pretty much used that as currency. There's not toilet or stores. Pretty much bring everything with you and look for a place to do No: 1 or 2 where no one has been. Bring a rubbish bag with you to take back as the locals don't seem to care about the rubbish left behind by others.
Just outside the Bonegi is a WW2 Sherman Tank. A 4x4 is a must to find it as it to the left of the main road just before Bonegi. It's about a few hundred meters in through the tall grass. We tried to sneak in there without the locals from Bonegi seeing us but we got told it's a $20Sol ea to see the tank. We just gave him $100Sol and was happy to let us go on our way.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

It costs about $20 for a car to get into the beach and whilst there you can take your snorkel and goggle and swim round the old supply ship. The Bonegi II is a little deeper and is the place where people seem to be learning to dive nearly every weekend. Grab yourself a coconut, pull up a spot on the beach and do your thing

2  Thank TopLeaf
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Good snorkelling areas on these beaches. The coral is bleached and in poor condition with some fish about. I rated it very good though as I got to snorkel over a shipwreck which was awesome! Sand and not fish around the wreck - as soon as I popped over the ship wreck's side it was magical! You need a calm day to visit the wreck as it is only a foot or so beneath the water. I tried on a rough day to go but I would have injured myself. However I have lots of fun playing in waves.

The beaches are private property so you need to pay a local to visit - I think we paid about 50 sols to enter.

1  Thank Kressley G