“Disappointing”

Pacific Casino Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Honiara
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel on our first and last nights in the Solomons. We knew it wasn't a brilliant hotel and had read previous reviews so I think we had realistic expectations. We chose it for our first night primarily because it seemed to be the closest hotel to the Airport and we had an early domestic flight the next morning. The room could not be called spacious by any means and the balcony was minimalistic. In the second room we had, if someone sat in the first chair they had to stand up to let another person pass to sit on the second chair. To be honest, if I hadn't known that the hotel was only 2-3 years old I'd have said it hadn't been touched for about 20 years. As an introduction to the Solomons it did not make a good impression. If we'd paid A$40 - A$50 we would have said we'd probably got what we paid for but we paid A$120 and it just wasn't worth it.
As a positive, the restaraunt was fine and the staff friendly and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LorryBrisbane

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Rooms are dirty & need plenty of TLC, staff appear to be under the influence of booze! nothing on offer for tourists, many staff who never know when to go home and prefer to hang around for a beer! bathrooms are disgusting & the hotel is very over priced, food average, TV a joke no quality reception & one channel, A/conditioning week & noisy.......Front desk manager appears to only be interested in money not his guests, no tours or advice in local sight seeing!.....decided after 3 nights I needed to find a better hotel with lack of sleep due to the drunks & loud music late at night & cockroaches.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Not bad but I would not live there. Room is basic but clean. Food is OK with a reasonable meau but nothing too exotic.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Spend Christmas at the hotel. Nice location with wonderful ocean view. Staff are extremely friendly & helpful. The rooms are not fancy but are clean & spacious. Has large LCD TV with many channels which is rare in the Pacific hotels. Good Chinese & European restaurants in house. Best fish & chips in Honiara. We love the location because only 1 min walk to Club Supreme Casino & night club. Feel really safe living there and definitely best value for your money hotel in Solomon Islands.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2009

This is not a resort type of hotel so don’t expect luxuries. I found it to be clean and with all the necessary essentials when in Honiara on business including wireless broadband internet. Seaview rooms are at a higher rate than those facing the highway. The menu had a reasonable selection of dishes and a big plus is the free room service here unlike many other other hotels where it comes at an extra charge. The staff were all quite friendly and helpful. Being located next to the highway it is very easy to stop a cab or even try out the local mode of mini-van transport which is cheaper if one is so inclined since a bus stop is right next to the entrance. TV channels were not that exciting but I wasn't primarily there to watch TV anyway!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Stayed two weeks at PCHotel. Staff were very enthusiastic which is the highpoint. Carpet threadbare, late night revellers from Captains Bar provided nightly disturbance after midnight, showers leaked and restaurant was ok for a night or two but menu very limited. Surrounded by concrete, certainly not a resort!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Please first understand I am giving this an excellent on Solomon Islands standards, not Las Vegas. We visited for a week in May when the hotel was just finishing rebuilding (an inexpensive flight on this new airline, SKYAIRWORLD convinced us to go...and I must say the airline itself with a brand new Embracer jet and comfortable seats is excellent). All decor and furnishings were thus brand new and the room was very comfortable. I loved the pool layout and if possible ask for a room overlooking it (as we had). The restaurant food and menu were good, but what really impressed us was when we got carried away and bought a big beautiful Red Emperor at the local market, hoping the chef would cook it for us. He did for a more than fair price and I must say I agree with previous writer about their very friendly, obliging staff, every single person we dealt with from woe to go were great!

The only thing missing from my wish-list would be a dvd player in the room. I mean its too hot to be out all day and a movie to chill before sleeping would also be good, especially as we were there a week...I mean Honiara as I have already indicated is no Las Vegas ( there actually was a casino right near our hotel, but we not gamblers and I loved Vegas for the shows!). So next time I will bring my own DVD player and movies. I also would have liked wi-fi in the room if I had brought my laptop...but as it was, I didn't and I found the Internet room downstairs next to reception fine. They also had a car hire service and a tennis court with lights, both of which we made use of.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)