“Perfect for honeymooners”

The Havannah, Vanuatu
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at the Havannah for 4 nights in November 2013 for our honeymoon and we loved it. We splurged on a waterfront villa so our view was amazing. We had our own private plunge pool which was cleaned daily and would recommend those wanting privacy to stay in Villa 17. It is the most secluded villa at this stage. One disappointing thing about this villa was that it was close to the construction of new villas (great for the resort) but it just meant it was not as quiet as we hoped during the day. The resort definitely has some of the best views that Vanuatu has to offer.

The room was very spacious and clean. I would have liked the minibar to be stocked with at least the basics though. You could call reception for particular items but I would have preferred to have some nibbles and drinks in the fridge.

The food at the restaurant was amazing. We had indicated that we were vegetarian to the resort before we arrived as we had noticed that the menu only had a couple of veg options. The chef catered to us every day with a variety of vegetarian meals that were not only delicious but I felt well thought out. There was hardly a repeat of a meal and we dined at the restaurant almost every night. We also had a private meal on the jetty which was spectacular. My husband and I have never felt so catered to in regards to food before. This was certainly one of winning points of this resort.

We had a wonderful welcome by Frederick when we arrived and the staff were very friendly. Some wait staff lacked the polishing finishes (serviettes on laps, asking if you would like water) that you would expect of a five star resort but this was a very minor detail and did not take away from their general happy nature and their professionalism. I recommend the sunset cruise to everyone as well. It was romantic, serene and beautiful.

It is definitely one of the best places to stay and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Villa 17 offer the most privacy at the moment but new villas are currently being built next door.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Neha P
We are indeed building 2 new super duper villas and I have put villa 17 out of inventory as I realized the noise was getting a little to much. Having open many resorts and having done many refurb, I am highly susceptible the noise level; I thank you for making the remark, as it confirms my decision. I am glad you had a great honeymoon and that we could provide you with a romantic experience for the beginning of your life as married couple. I wish you both a great life together and hope to welcome you back at the Havannah very soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We chose The Havannah for our 30th wedding anniversary because it offered us everything that we were looking for. A small resort, no children, jetty dining and some very much alone time. This resort did not disappoint. We arrived very late at night and were met by the staff who were very friendly. At breakfast the next morning Frederick introduced himself to us and from then on made a point of greeting you every morning and evening to find out how your day had been.
We stayed in a Lagoon Room and we loved it. We stepped out of our door and straight into one of the two pools that the Havannah has to offer. The room was comfortable and serviced every morning while we were at breakfast. Each night the ladies would come in and turn the bed down and would leave a little note along side the towels that they had turned into animals. We ate most of our meals here and found the menu very good. My husband loved the night they had lobster on the menu, reckons it was superb.
Included in our holiday was a trip to an island with lunch provided. This was so perfect. We also took advantage of the sunset cruise around the bay that surrounds the Havannah, once again just wonderful. The ocean was like a mirror and for two hours of sailing and sipping wine it just felt like bliss. A big thankyou to Api who told us so much about the local village and his family, it was great to here.
Our anniversary dinner on the jetty was everything I thought it would be. Beautiful night, candles, lovely food and wine and a very good host who looked after us so well. Thankyou Jonathon. To Kathy and the other ladies in the restaurant, you all did an amazing job of looking after us. Nothing was to much trouble.
The Havannah sits on a point in the Havannah Bay. The out look is stunning and something you will never get sick of looking at. The gardens are immaculate and the service excellent. We had no hot water one morning and it was fixed no more than 15mins later.
Frederick and his team have done a wonderful job of bringing something unique to Vanuatu, its a place we would go back to sooner rather than later. If its alone time in a private setting then this is the place to visit. Can't wait to return.

Dear FarmersDownUnder
I am glad you choose the Havannah for your thirtieth wedding anniversary and more importantly that you and your husband enjoyed the resort, its staff and atmosphere. We do endeavor to go the extra mile, with a smile to ensure the comfort of our guests and to ensure they have a great, relaxing holidays with us. I will pass on your comments to our staff and I thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you at the Havannah.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the Havannah earlier in January for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon. Although the Havannah is pricey we wanted to treat ourselves as it was a special occasion. Intentionally I was disappointed when I saw the room- for a 5 star resort and the price, I expected more. It was neat and modern but I thought it was fairly small and wasn't 'wowed'. I came to realise that a 5 star resort in Vanuatu is probably different to 5 star in Australia so we settled in. We had a lovely welcome to the resort and thoroughly enjoyed drinking cocktails, swimming in the pool and watching the sunset. There is no denying the Havannah is in a beautiful position. We loved looking over the water while eating breakfast each morning.
A few things put a downer on our time at the Havannah:
- Our air conditioner dripped non stop. We had to keep a bin under the drip and empty it every few hours. We were told someone would come and look at it several times. No one came so we put up with the dripping until our the last day when it came good- maybe someone came to check it out? We'll never know!
- We were overcharged on our final bill- thankfully we checked over everything and saved ourselves almost 2000VT- every cent counts!
- We had a couple of mistakes with drink and food orders
- The girl on the desk was lovely but it sometimes seemed like she didn't want to be there
- The breakfast selection was a bit average- meals were often very small and not very tasty (a total contrast to the dinner though- which was fabulous)
- My husband and I couldn't get a massage together as there was usually only 1 therapist working- such a shame!
- We booked dinner on the jetty for the final night of our stay. We were really looking forward to it. Unfortunately when we arrived (5 minutes before our booking), the table wasn't ready. We waited 10-15 minutes for the table and were finally seated- without any apology for the wait. This was particularly disappointing as the table was set on the jetty every night previously on time.

These are a few minor things that happened but by the end of the trip I was getting a bit fed up as the little things were building up.
Looking back, we had a nice stay- as said, the location is perfect and great if you want a very quiet holiday. The snorkelling is great and the trip to Lelepa island was lovely (but a bit overpriced). We liked the free DVD hire- it gave us a nice way to finish each day.
Most of the staff were really lovely- thanks for making us feel welcome earlier this month!

Room Tip: We had a garden villa- it was private and had all we needed. These are the cheapest villas but still...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Danielle
Thank you for this review. I would like to apologies for the few things that put a downer on your time at the Havannah, and assure you that we did address the air con issue as soon as you mentioned it to me, however it does sometime take a little longer to get a technician in Vanuatu than in other part of the world. Every effort was made to rectify that dripping air con. We do have two therapists for massages on Wednesday, Friday and Monday and therefore I am ensure as to why you could not get a couple massage. Also at time, we will not set the jetty until the last minute, if the wind condition prevent it, but I am sorry you had to wait.I do hope that you and T had a memorable honeymoon beside these little hiccup and do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Havannah.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Third visit in 5 years probably says it all !! , great location, great accommodation , terrific staff , really laid back feel that leads to some serious chilling out, A special thank you to Frederick for the loan of your BCD, I mean how many resort managers lend you their personal property ? really appreciated , see you next time ;-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Trevor B
Thank you for your review of the Havannah and I hope we will see you again soon. It was my pleasure to have been able to assist you by lending you my BCD, important to be comfortable when you dive and we were the same size. We always goes out of our way to ensure we can assist our guests and make their stay as pleasant and relaxed as possible. I will pass your review to our staff, and I hope you are both well and that the New Year has kicked in with all you were wishing it to be.
Until we meet again,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The aim of our holiday was relaxation. The Havannah Resort is AWESOME. Brilliant & friendly service. Food was excellent. Staff will help you with anything they can. The pool is just gorgeous and relaxing. There are coral reefs everywhere. You can walk to some activities. If you want the main town part there is a free shuttle. You can do as much or as little as you like. Each villa is private you wouldn't know if anyone else was there.
Went there for our babymoon - and beyond relaxing. I'm very selective on my holiday destinations as I rarely get to go on holidays - and I would go back anytime. I was so relaxed. It was exactly what we wanted and exactly what they advertised.
There is fabulous food outside of the resort as well -and the resort owners are more than happy to help you and book anything you want.

Room Tip: The pool is close enough that you don't need to book the one with its own pool unless you don...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Brandon2265
We can definitely offer a lot of relaxation at the Havannah as we are a very small resort, with an exclusive and personal approach to the well being of our guests. I am happy to read that you were so relaxed that you would come back, We always enjoy seeing return guests, of which we have many. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is very appreciated. Have great 2014.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and i stayed at the havannah for 7 nights as the second part of our honeymoon. We both loved this resort. The location of this resort is fantastic and watching the sunset of an evening and seeing turtle popping there heads up not far off short early in the morning is really an experience!
We stayed in a lagoon pool villa which has a private entrance to a infinity pool and really liked it. It was very modern and always kept extremely clean by the lovely house keeping staff.
This resort really goes above and beyond to make sure you enjoy your stay, it was the little touches each day that made our stay at the Havannah so enjoyable. Some good examples of this would be coming back to our room to a lovely note and little animal made from towels every night by the housekeeping staff or to having the lovely manager Frederick checking in on how we were enjoying our stay almost daily.
The staff were all very friendly and made an effort to remember our names when greeting us at the restaurant. The food at the restaurant is fantastic and although we did eat elsewhere one night it did not compare to the fantastic food on offer at the resort.
As for activities around the resort i would highly recommend the sunset cruise and doing a private picnic on the island across from the resort. If you are a fan or snorkeling there is really good snorkeling on offer just to the left of the resort, i spent hours looking around at the fantastic fish life!
To anyone looking for a very professionally run resort that goes the extra mile to make sure your stay is enjoyable, my wife and i cannot recommend this resort enough!!!

Ryan and Demelza

1  Thank Demelza W

Dear Ryan and Demelza
We are glad that we could provide you with a great and relaxing honeymoon. It was a pleasure to take care of you both and I really appreciate your vote of confidence. I will print your comments to give to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back at the resort. I hope the New Year is developing into a great year for you both!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We decided to book a holiday in Vanuatu we chose the Havannah due to other people recommending it. We were not disappointed. The location is magnificent the staff are friendly and the place is paradise. Don't waste your time reading more reviews just book your vacation you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: We had Bungalow 15 it was incredible but there is not bungalow that will disappoint,
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Havannah-GM, General Manager at The Havannah, Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Kazzas987
Thank you for your review and your vote of confidence. We really do our best to ensure that our guests are well taken care of and have a relaxing and enjoyable experience, so I do appreciate your short but concise review, which I will pass on to our staff as well.
Have a great 2014, and hopefully we will welcome you back at the Havannah.