“Excellent Self Catering Accommodation”
Review of Waterfront Quays

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Vila
Waterfront Quays
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Water Front Quays is a modern three story block with 12 apartments on the edge of the City Centre; just at the bottom of the hill up to Parliament and the National Museum.

It is within easy level walking distance of several decent bars and restaurants with more up the hill.

My apartment was on the road side – although there was a small balcony from which the harbour and Iririki Island were just visible. There was no real problem with the road noise – apart from lunatics on motorcycle and quad bikes. The windows had heavy metal shutters ideal for security or bad weather – such as Severe Trpoical Cyclone Atu which hit whilst I was there.

The apartment (#101) had a large living room with a kitchenette - bigger than many kitchens in houses - with double doors opening onto the small balcony from the living area. There was a good size double bedroom and a single bedroom – both with plenty of cupboard space, hangers, etc.

There were ceiling fans in all rooms and an air conditioner in the living room. There was a nice large walk-in shower.

The apartment was very well equipped: washing machine; tumble drier; dish washer; large ‘fridge/freezer and full stove. There was a wide range of pots, plates and cutlery but, oddly, no can opener or kitchen knife (I bought my own). There was also no iron or ironing board when I arrived but, on request, these were supplied.

There is satellite TV – although the channel selection is not very good and some disappeared from time to time. There was no English Premier League or Six Nations Rugby nor the cricket World Cup - but one channel did have the FA Cup.

Plenty of parking – for car or boat!

Payment was requested in full in advance – which, as I was only there for a month, was fine. I am not sure whether payment in full is also requested for longer stays which would be less acceptable. This can be paid with Visa or MasterCard.

And now for the downside – not too much to worry about here:

• Ants and Small Flies: there seemed to be a lot more ants and other small flying insects – despite the screening - than the other places I’ve stayed in Port Vila – so a can of Mortein is handy;

• Internal Noise: as with all multi-occupancy places, you are at the mercy of the other residents. Unfortunately here, as in most other places, people have no consideration of others and delight is slamming their own and/or the front/back doors when it is perfectly possible to close them quietly. As Room #101 is by the front door, with the back door one floor below down the central stair-well, I probably suffered more than most. There is also a fire alarm system control box by the front door. On a number of occasions this was tripped by faulty sensors – including twice in the middle of the night. It then sent out a penetrating whistling noise which, as room #101 is right opposite it, is very irritating!;

• Smoke in the Bathroom: there always seems to be links between bathrooms – presumably something to do with the plumbing. In this case my neighbour obviously smoked cigars when sitting on the toilet as I smelled smoke in my bathroom periodically. Still, running the extractor fan for a while cleared it; and

• Room Cleaning: my room was supposed to be cleaned three times a week – but this was not well or always done. In the end I gave up complaining and just accepted whatever happened to be done. The worst problem being not replacing toilet rolls – so, I made sure that I had my own in reserve.

However, none of these will put me off a return stay next time I am in town.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business