“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My extended family and I just spent 7 days at this beautiful resort, the staff were amazing, a special thanks to the elderly gardener who gathered fresh flowers for me every morning without fail to Helen who kept our Fare spotless and to Alfred who has "connections" everywhere , bus, hair-braiding, Kava etc whatever you need he is the one to ask....George (owner) was always around to have a chat and make sure everything was ok, The Resort is lovely, very quiet and serene and therein lays the problem, this is definitely not the place to go with a large group, we always felt the staff were torn between keeping us happy and letting us enjoy our stay and placating the "couples" or as an expat Aussie living there calls them "Newly Weds and Nearly Deads",The "Retirees" are the worst they complain when water gets splashed in the pool or when the children from Pango village venture into the resort or if you are not in bed by 10 o'clock they will send security over to tell you to keep quiet, I will not go back to Breakas I will go to a family friendly resort I personally love the sound of kids having fun and family's enjoying each others company.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank melefan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Auckland
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We really enjoyed our 7 days at Breakas. The service was great and the people were very friendly. The meals were on the high side as far as price goes but the food was good. I spent a lot of time in the pool. I asked for a Coconut to drink and they sent someone up the tree to get one and 3 minutes later i had a coconut in my hand (thats good service). We got taken on a tour of the local village which was one of the highlights of the trip. I would throughly recommend Vanuatu and Breakas.

1 Thank Maddisyn
Athens
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We arrived from Europe and so were not sure what to expect. I must say that the Resort is very well set-out in beautiful tropical suroundings but we were disappointed with the sea. Due to the corals we were not able to swim and this was a minus factor for us. The rooms were a good size and as we were close to the sea we were able to enjoy some beautiful sun-sets from our verandah, The service was O.K but the breakfast was rather poor. A plus factor is the mini-taxis/buses passing continuously outside the resort , which for a very nominal fee, will take you to the town. We also found food in Vanuatu rather expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed 24 March 2012

It is really important for people to understand what it is that you really want out of your holiday and if what your expectations are. It was my choice this time so I wanted to go somewhere different to the usually advertised destinatations where we could 'recharge the batteries' and also take in the local experiences and culture, which is why you travel to other parts of the world is it not?

I have travelled to many other islands in the pacific and so was more than happy to change to island time. The first thing I realised before leaving is to take note that we were going to a resort so I was prepared to pay resort prices and also our Kiwi $$$ isn't as strong in Vanuatu so I expected to pay approximately 20% more on food and drink. So it did pay to know this in advance before we left. Secondly, don't be in a hurry for everthing....service is all in 'island time' and if it is really quick....then bonus but if not.....what is the point in letting this bother you...just slow down mentally and physically...you will find your shoulders will drop a whole couple of inches. Western way isn't necessarily the right way.

I chose Breakas Resort as this was a place that suited us - as kids are not allowed. We have four kids so this was a bonus for us, getting away from the kids is a holiday in itself. hahaha

The boutique resort is what I would call a mid sized resort. I personally find in the larger resorts sometimes you dont actually leave the pemises because everything is onsite.

We found the staff and manner of the local people a joy. I enjoy the fact that you don't get bothered with being asked if you need a drink all the time or the staff just hanging around waiting for you.
When you want something just wave to one of the staff or go up and ask and your food and drink is brought to you no matter where you are on the resort whether it be by the pool, on the beach or simply to yourroom if you want. Sometimes I think people can misinterpret shyness as arrogance which is so far from the truth.

We had the beachside fare which was a lovely size..and I so loved the semi outdoor shower and bathroom was a great size. We had bought a couple of bottles of bubbles with us and had them on our private patio with dinner. You just ask for a bucket, Ice and glasses and they will be more than happy to provide whatever is required by you for your stay.

There is no air conditioning but this was not a bother and ceiling fans and sea breeze at night was more than adequate. No TV was fantastic and trust me this I thought was going to be difficult but I read read books, slept and then went swimming again.

We were so impressed by the staff and the local people and how well educated and spoken they are. So happy to share there culture and there smile is genuine not because of the tourist dollar.

The continental breakfast was delicious and if you wanted a cook breakfast the menu is available for additional $$. The restaurant was lovely and food delicious remember all the food is organic as they don't use hormones or preservatives and all fruit and vedgetables are grown locally. Drinking the water at the resort is fine although bottled water is available to purchase as well but why spend more when the tap water is fine?

Breakas was perfect for us....do as much as you want or as little as you want. Go on the tours or just read three books like we did, have some yummy cocktails and enjoy nature at its best. The sound of the waves crashing and the native birds and the beautiful fauna. If you are a light sleeper then bring ear plugs but seriously what is more beautiful than that?

Mini fridge is in your room. Buy the local beer at duty free and stock it in you mini fridge. If you like lager get the 'TUSKER' my husband has a preference for it. haha

Take the local village tour that the resort provides. We took some of our favourite childhood picture books for the school library and some stationery for teachers and students.I also gifted some colouring books for the odd kiddie I saw in the village. This was something we had done when visiting other islands as education is very expensive and resources i.e for one picture book can cost a local over a weeks wage but gave so much joy to the kids. Visting the local village was a highlight for me on my trip. Alfred the Breakas Manager is more than happy to tell you the next trip.

In summary....my husband loved my choice. It was perfect and we got so much more out of the experience than expected. Definitely would return again.

5 Thank bfc304
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We were looking forward to spending a week at Breakas. The resort is beautiful with its infinity pool overlooking the resorts private beach and the bures nestled around the beach however we felt disappointed by the service during our stay - there are some nice ideas- welcome drinks, leis etc on arrival but neither of these were well executed. The staff also didnt really seem that engaging during our stay, we often felt we were troubling them (with the exception of Alfred on the tour desk who is fantastic at organising trips and always keen to make sure everyone is attended to). It's also worth noting that whilst the resort is supposed to be private, day guests frequented the pool/resort whilst we were there. The local food nights were good and great entertainment but the a la carte westernised menu is a disappointment especially for Australian prices. Our Beachfront Bure was lovely and was serviced daily to an immaculate standard however if you are a light sleeper its worth knowing there's not much separating you from the wildife around and whilst it was lovely to fall asleep to the waves we struggled to sleep for more than 2-3hrs at a time before been woken up by natures friends! (just pack ear plugs!) The snorkelling off the beach is great but beware the current can be quite strong. We liked the location of the hotel, buses regularly go past so its easy to take a trip into town and its very cheap at 150vt each way (about $1.50). Breakas could be fantastic, but overall we had mixed feelings about our stay and wouldn't go back - we did express some of our feedback to the manager of the resort which was received positively.

Room Tip: The beachfront bures are definately worth it- the view of the beach is stunning.
2 Thank autumn1082
Geelong
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My wife and I spent 7 days at BBR and had a great time in an exquisite place that jsut allowed you to relax and chill out and recahrge the batteries. The service was generally good with a few hiccups but a quiet word in George's (the owner) ear and at least you felt as though your issues would be sorted out. The food was good especially the special nights where we were able to sample the culture of food and entertainment. We were a day late arriving due to an airline glitch (being polite) but it did not place the resort into too much of a flap. Would we go again. yes it was well worth the experience

Room Tip: Choose a beach fare. You get to be righ ont he beach, enjoy the sunsets, have the beach at your door...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taxi_driver50
Kyneton, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Well what can I say, the resort was amazing, the staff brilliant!

A quick bus ride to town, and the staff ensure you are educated in the local ways and keep a eye on you.

Food was good, the only issue was limited local produce and a little on the pricey side, but still ok. This was one of the easiest holidays yet. I would not hesitiate to go back in a flash!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the pool but with beach views
1 Thank dreamer307