There's a tonne of reviews for Breakas which are great, they pretty much point out every possible thing that is good and maybe a couple of the little odd things about venues in Vanuatu.
So I will save the time and give you the best bits.
- No kids . . so you can go to the pool and the bar without dodging screaming toddlers and frustrated parents bombing and peeing in the pool.
- No pressure or hassling. Seriously. Often the number on thing that worries travellers. You wont get hassled at the airport, bars, streets, beach etc etc to buy things, go on tours or carry bags. You wont have people screaming "braid your hair" in your face in the street. You can leave the hotel if you want to and get onto a bus or taxi, go into the city and hang out all day without one person chasing you down to buy things.
Im serious . . you never get hassled to do anything.
- There are no wandering groups of teenage schoolies gangs. There are few teenagers at all and certainly not groups of beer swilling school kids and "douchebro's" . . Nearly all the people that come here get away from that. Think the opposite of Bali. There are no strip clubs, "adult" tours or "lucky lucky". You can hang out with the locals and have a beer, in a hut, or a Kava venue without dealing with idiots.
- It's safe. I dont mean "stay in the hotel and it's safe" I mean "It's safe to get into a bus with 3 huge local's and go to a Kava hut and talk about the world" . . It's safe to walk the dead dark streets and the people are ALL nice to you, will help you find things and get around. Culturally they are shy, peaceful and caring.
- Prices are very good and deceptive. OK - you've heard on TA that the prices are pretty much on par with Australia . but that's not entirely right for food . . the servings are twice the size and that includes seafood platters (seriously, there is a review where someone whining about the price of the platters, they are 2/3rd the prices of Sydney and twice the size AND with real seafood. Not 2 prawns and chips . . and they complained? Get a grip)
- The food is all fresh, when you get home you will realise you havent eaten any processed junk food all week. All meals have likely been caught in the local area, there is no crazy grading and colouring . . no refining etc . . it's all non processed and caught locally.
- Great staff - they get to know you personally and after a few days they know your favourite cocktail, food and always greet you with a smile.
Things you may find odd but are interesting. . .
- Occasionally you might find a crab in your room . . this is a good thing. I mean the little ones and hermit crabs. It's a real sand in your feet experience. You wont find spiders . . you find gecko's. The beach is on your doorstep.
- Lots of Gecko's. They chirp . . we called them "Jub Jub"
- You can make a lot of things with Coconut and they are everywhere. In the city you can buy 15 coconuts for about $2 . . they are everywhere. They are used for everything. Dont feel guilty drinking a whole coconut. Especially in a cocktail.
- Fruit is everywhere and cheap. See above, insert "Mango" and "Pawpaw"
- Water and food is safe. I mean, dont go drinking out of a drain, but in general everything is very good quality. You rarely hear of people getting sick.
- Cruise ships are common. Passengers are fun! the locals give them special attention. Especially the ones with huge lanyards around their necks that say "cruise ship". They get special prices. Veeeery special prices.
- Most bars everywhere dont know what a measured glass is and all of them over pour . . so those aussie prices? halve it.
- It's hot. Get used to it. There is no air conditioning. Carry water.
- Be nice to the staff and the managers. You will be surprised how far that will get you anywhere (that's kind of a tip for life in general really). If you are nice to staff they are nice back . . if you are a whiny complainer that finds fault with everything or yell out "oi get me a brewski" to the waiters . . you wont get anywhere. Don't complain that the sand is sandy, water is wet and the rooms have floors. It happens.If there is a massive storm, there may be some water on the floor. If your food takes 5 minutes longer to arrive, get a drink. It's not Sydney, you arent god and the food is better here anyway.
(in fact, dont say "brewski" . . just stop)
- Pack earplugs. Not because of Breakas, but because it takes a long time to get use to silence and the occasional lizard sound. People actually complained that there was one or two noises at night instead of the drone of cars and trains. If you cant handle silence and the odd dog bark, wear earplugs.
The staff are wonderful at the resort, we singled out Lu, Frida, Becka, Annie, and many others.
I could bang on for ages, these are a few of the good things to consider. All in I absolutely recommend breakas, stay there you wont regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amidst swaying palms fringed on it's own private beach, Breakas Beach Resort is an intimate 3.5 Star tropical resort in a 5 star location for adults only welcoming guests over the age of 15 years. Enhanced by individual garden & beachfront Fares (Bungalows), Breakas Beach Resort is the ultimate relaxed "feet in the sand" beach holiday. Slip into a world of tranquility. The Resort features a stunning 22 metre infinity pool which falls into the horizon of the Pacific Ocean. The natural beauty of a private cove on the Pango peninsular provides an unrivalled backdrop in Port Vila. Fares (Bungalows) are scattered along the shoreline and throughout manicured tropical gardens ensuring privacy, intimacy and seclusion. With spectacular views to Port Vila's best surfing beach break, the restaurant provides a unique setting for a unique dining experience. The executive chef has created one of the finest menus using fresh, local produce, seafoods and world class Santo beef and we are famous for our beachside dining with stars above and sand underfoot.... It does not get much better than this. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu Hotel Port Vila
- Breakas Beach Resort Vanuatu Port Vila