“Very, very pleasant stay at Aquana!”

Aquana Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Oslo, Norway
“Very, very pleasant stay at Aquana!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family went to Aquana in March 2013. We have three girls; 4, 9 and 11 years then. We and the girls loved to stay at Aquana, our kids are still talking about the place. It is a quiet and relaxing place. The kids loved to play with the nannies. The food and the hospitality was excellent. We want to go back, but we are living in Norway - it is a very long trip!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trine L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

As returning guests to Aquana, and mid 10 night stay, I thought I would sit down and write my first review.
Aquana Beach Resort is the most wonderful place for families. The bungalows are basic, but kept immaculate. The staff will go above and beyond to help or assist with anything. Rose organised all our external activities, something that to me, is an important part of a relaxing holiday. The nannies are wonderful, they interact with the children, laughing and having fun. They kids play all day and into the evening, their activities are endless!
The food here is the best in the South Pacific. Don't bother with a trip into Port Vila for a meal. If your kids are fussy, no problem at all, they will cater for any need. We look forward to dinner every night, a huge congratulations on the meals.
We have recommended Aquana to many friends, our local Flight Centre and returned with another family as it is truly a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I want you to understand reading this review we stayed at two resorts while in Vanuatu. Eratap and Aquana. Eratap won us over without exception. Having said that I will give you our feedback on Aquana.

I'm not going over anything anyone else has written only points that I always like to know before I travel or am looking for in a resort.

I must point out there are quite a few items I will mention that lacked in this resort but credit to Fabienne when ever I asked for something she was more than helpful.

Accommodation - Our beds were hard, my teenage girls were so uncomfortable they asked to sleep on the lounge. The bungalow is very clean. The hot water was not working, I asked Fabienne and she got them to refill the gas hot water bottle. The shower goes hot and cold while your using it. Not good when trying to wash your hair. Speaking of hair, they DO NOT supply any conditioner or moisturiser, shower caps, robes, cotton wool buds etc these items you would expect in a resort. There are no pens or paper and you need to ask for an iron/ironing board. The only mirror in the whole bungalow is above the sink in the bathroom. Only black tea and coffee on offer with a kettle.

Food - Delicious and great size. The coconut crab is now not on the menu due to them being endangered. Only two negatives, the milk to have with your cereal was warm several mornings. Selection of only black tea or coffee on the table. Other selections of Tea (peppermint, green) have to be requested from behind the bar. I don't understand why they not on offer on the buffett. To drink a coconut it is $3, at Eratap they are free.

Dress - very casual, as dinner some nights is set up on the sand you wear thongs/sandles or no shoes. Nice and laid back.

Staff - friendly, big smiles and very polite.

Spa - unusual location. In a villa at the back of the resort with no view. It would be perfect facing the lagoon or under a bale with the ocean breeze.

Pool and lagoon facilities - The outrigger is a must, the driver takes you out to great snorkelling locations where the water is crystal clear. There is only two sun lounges (well three but one is plastic and broken) by the lagoon on the sand. There is no shade or anywhere to relax by the lagoon in private. There are sun lounges around the pool. The paddle boards you have to pay for, at Eratap they are free.

Overview - The owners really do try their best, but I have to be honest for us this would not be our first choice. If you like luxury and enjoy a four to five star resorts this is not for you.

Room Tip: A beach bungalow is best
4 Thank Sydneytraveller36
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Aquana for 7 nights (not long enough) from the 4-11th December 2013, and cannot rave enough about this place to anyone who will listen. We travelled as a family, my husband (49yom), my mum (63yof), my son (12yom) and myself (36yof) and stayed in a 2 bedroom bungalow.
The bungalow itself has everything you need.. Air con, 2x2 seat couches, tv, DVD, bar fridge, block out curtains for that occasional sleep in, ceiling fans, etc and was impeccably cleaned every morning when we were at breakfast. It was so lovely to come back to a freshly made up room everyday to plan our day.
The staff... Fabienne, from my first email contact with you, everything was so easy. No surprises, amazing customer service, and always happy to go out of your way to help us, always with a gorgeous smile.

Birgit, I loved sitting and chatting with you and Sandra, was definitely a highlight of my week. I feel that we became part of your Aquana family, and certainly did not expect this on our holiday!! Can't wait for our next catch up.

Hugo, we loved hearing your stories and plans for everything Aquana.

The other front office staff, wait staff and nannies... You were all so welcoming. We did not need to use the nanny service but if I did, I would have no hesitation in leaving my child in your care. You treat those children like your own. Lots of activities, both indoor and out. The kids in your care clearly loved your attention. To the wait staff and front office staff, your service and warmth towards my family and myself as guests was second to none. You knew our orders even before we did!!! And you were always there with a smile, ready to help.

Marcel, what can I say???? We ate like royalty for a week!! My son is usually a really fussy eater, but he loved everything you and your kitchen staff put in front of him!! Apparently, even after the lesson, we don't come close to cooking your garlic prawns like you do!!!

The seafood platter was sensational, and after avoiding lobster for the last 15 years, I am now an addict!! Your sauces were mouth watering, the fact that guests can graze all day and really try out the whole menu without overdoing it was such a treat for us. On our last night, Marcel made a special meal for all of us that we couldn't even finish. Lobster and bugs freshly caught were on my plate and I have never tasted anything like it. I could rave abut the food forever, but I think you get my point!!

The Blue Lagoon and Eton Beach tour was an amazing day out, with snorkelling, a BBQ lunch provided and the fabulous rope swing at the Blue Lagoon. I have never seen such beautiful clear water.

This was our first visit to Vanuatu and Aquana, but it won't be our last. We cannot rate this resort highly enough, and cannot wait to be back there.
W came home very relaxed, somewhat sun kissed and already planning our next visit to Aquana.. Keep up the amazing work!!!

Kind Regards,
Kelly Holland-Ryan (Newcastle, Australia

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelly H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife, three children and I had eight wonderful nights at Aquana, and we didn't want to leave. My 6 year old daughter, 7 year old son and 3 year old son all had a wonderful time, and the constantly attentive staff meant that if my wife and I wanted time to read, swim, or just relax we could at any time as the nannies are so wonderful and form such a bond with the children, the children loved them. The food is incredible, and every item on the menu was amazing. Vanuatu itself is beautiful, and the people and culture very welcoming, relaxed and happy. I've never written a review before (you can probably tell) of a resort but this one was so good I absolutely had to. The activities nearby like the cascade waterfalls, scuba diving and the snorkelling from the resort itself were all incredible too. The bungalows and accommodation are great, and there are activities regularly like fire dancing, kava tasting, traditional music performances and movie nights for the children, and during the day, my children wanted to play with "the girls" doing hair braiding, basket weaving, swimming etc all of which they really enjoyed. The best part about this is that it isn't a kids club - there is no structure, the nannies are just available from 7am to 9pm and the children can do whatever they like, not a structured programme. This was one of the most relaxing and recharging holiday I have ever had, and Marcel and Fabienne are just wonderful hosts. I can't recommend it highly enough and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Morgan7175
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband, five year old son and I have just returned from an eight night stay at Aquana. It was our first time in Vanuatu, and has definitely given us a taste for this beautiful country. We found the staff to be always friendly, helpful and polite, and must give special mention to the nannies who looked after our son so well. From the first day he sought out the company of 'the girls' who taught him to play monopoly and snakes and ladders, bounced on the trampoline, played soccer and watched movies with him. The accommodation at Aquana is very good - our two bedroom bungalow was very clean and comfortable, with a lovely water view. The daily servicing of the room and refresh of linens was greatly appreciated. The food was of a constantly high standard, and my husband who has coeliac disease and requires gluten free food was well catered for. We had our wedding anniversary whilst at Aquana, and the lovely Fabienne organised a wonderful dinner for us with the most amazing seafood platter. Aquana is a little way out of Vila, which we ultimately found to be a good thing, as the city is not exactly picturesque. The shuttle bus from the resort was really convenient, and we also used local taxis and buses as required. Can be a bit hair-raising, but all part of the Vanuatu experience. Overall, a brilliant holiday in a beautiful location with great food and service. Highly recommended!

1 Thank JulieShin
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I'm going to be brief here because everyone has already said what I want to say. The only thing I would add is that it's all true. Food, location, accommodation, hospitality are all brilliant. We had the most lovely time and I'm currently trying to talk several of my overworked needing-a-holiday friends into taking time out to visit Aquana.