“Fantastic Service and Beautiful Location”

Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We recently eloped to Vanuatu and stayed in the Holiday Inn Resort, where we also held our small wedding ceremony. I can't say enough about the wonderful staff. They were the friendliest I've come across on any holiday, helpful and went the extra mile to make our stay absolutely perfect and extremely memorable.
I have to give special credit to Geraldine Tavoa, the resort’s co-ordinator. From the moment of first contact (on email) she was so helpful and put together a package that suited our very tight budget perfectly. She sourced everything we needed including a photographer, stylist for my hair and make-up, florist, celebrant (the local pastor) and witnesses (performing the role herself with the Chief from the local village – all dressed in his traditional gear). She also organised all the legal paperwork for our marriage. The ceremony was perfect and we couldn’t have wished for anything more.
Even though the resort was in its final stages of renovation, it did nothing to interfere with or affect our stay. We are extremely happy with our stay and all that the Holiday Inn had to offer.
The location is not far from the main part of Port Villa and it only costs 500vt in a taxi and is about a half hour walk. Taxis are easy to get at any time and we felt the travel in and out provided a nice insight into the city.

Room Tip: Lagoon / Pool side rooms have the most beautiful view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmsDemp

Reviewed 4 July 2011

we stayed in the lagoon view, lovely view, loved the kids club, the pool was lovely as it had a kiddies pool so my daughter loved this .the meals were lovely but expensive. the staff were great with my kids , the repair works were not that bad probably becoz we werent in the garden view rooms which were facing the buildings being repaired.the thing that annoyed me was they preauthorised my credit card for 460 aus dollars without letting me know of the amount, so imagine the shock that i got when we went for a boat trip and my account was $0, only to be told by the reception staff on checking out that i would be refunded the difference in 7-14 days time was so cross since my bill was 350 $ so flew back $100 out of pocket and dead broke as expected after holidays -very disapponting

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chenge25
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here for 5 days in May / June 2011. Renovations have made the staff lazy as there are few people staying here so they are just not motivated. Eventually wrote a letter to manager and some minor issues resolved. However they realise they have problems during this renovation as when I arrived home from our holiday they had credited 3 days accomodation back to us which pleased us. A new manager is about to start and was previously manager of Crowne Plaza hunter Valley so he knows how to run a big successful resort. He has a huge challenge to get staff up to speed and we wish him well. Currently it is a massive resort with one entire wing being gutted and renovated. We stayed in the other wing which is completed and far away from the building works. The new wing has teething problems also to be sorted out. As staff were lacking motivation there was no service by the pools (one just opened).

Room Tip: Reassess this resort once renovations complete
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Handysmith
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My gf and i arrived for our first visit to Vanuatu to palms resort. The place has a fantastic foyer and the staff are sooo friendly and happy.. Our room was very well presented and no dramas at all. The reno's were still going in the side pool but since it was easter no one was doing work so no noise to us. The tour desk was a great help booking our activities and the restaurant served very nice food. It was cheaper to pick a meal from the menu then from the special buffet they had on every night over easter though, so watch that. The morning breaky was awesome, we loved it every day. The place was so peaceful and relaxing, we really enjoyed every moment at the resort. The lake was so relaxing and the guys even showed my girlfriend how to use the sailboat for the first time. I highly recommend the palms resort!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brisfoodie15
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I booked a package holiday through Flight Centre to stay at the Holiday Inn. I was not advised of the renovations and this entirely spoilt our stay in Vanuatu. I would point out though that this was not the Holiday Inn's fault (as the booking wasn't made through them) and the staff were very friendly. There are a few things though that I can offer info on:
- bathroom is newly renovated, very functional and shower was excellent. However, very small.
- Beds were very very hard....I normally sleep on a hard bed; but this was ridiculous
- The bed linen and in particular the pillows had a very strange fusty smell- so much that we had to wrap the pillows in towels to be able to sleep!
- bedrooms are generously sized
-poolside service was very infrequent (noone there to take orders etc, you have to order at the top bar (which is approx 2 flights of stairs away);
- noise from renovations is extremely disruptive and you can't relax by the pool (drilling, hammering etc etc)
Once the renovations are done I would say this would be a good 3* / low 4* hotel. It will be clean/fresh/comfortable but not luxurious.
If you want to stay on or near Port Vila I would suggest the Ramada or Irrirki....People I met during my stay were very complimentary about these similarly priced resorts!

Room Tip: if anything, go for a lagoon view
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank thebigplan
Reviewed 12 January 2011

This resort has been taken over from Le Meridien and the Palms is obviously embarking on some serious renovations/improvements to the resort which is impacting on the facilities available. This was, however, pointed out to us at time of booking so we could not really complain about the sound of chain saws whilst we sat by the lagoon or the lack of a large pool and swim-up bar.

We only stayed here for one night before heading to the outer islands and this was actually the only place in Vanuatu where we stayed which had air-conditioning. We got upgraded to a suite which was fantastic. The other customer service was adequate to OK; when we went to dinner in the restaurant our menus were opened at the mains page to suggest we didn't have an entree as we were the last to be seated at around 8.30. The food was below par for the price and the wine list very expensive, but the inclusive breakfast made up for that.

Overall, the Palms is very big and "resorty" but as that's what it is, that's fine I guess. Lots of couples and families desperately trying not to interact with one another even though they're sharing the same bit of lagoon or pool area. We paid AU$230 for one night through Wotif.com and this does seem a little excessive for what we got; but probably would have been OK if all the renovations had been completed. My advice: wait until they're done with the refurb then give it a go.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichyNZ
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I stayed at Palms Resort and Casino with my best friend on a girls trip to Vanuatu. We had a really nice time, and the hotel was pretty good value for what we paid. (Room and Buffet Breakfast were included - and i certainly got my moneys worth of the buffet breakfast.)

I was pretty disappointed that there was so much construction happening and no one had informed us. (My House is absoutely surrounded by construction - so i was desperate to get away from the noise and dust) I suppose it wasn't too bad, but there is something a little off putting about lying on a beautiful beach with a chainsaw going off in the background.

The rooms were comfortable and clean, however the shower drain seemed to be blocked, as we were always standing ankle deep in our own filth during a shower.

2 sour notes...We had money stolen from our room. I don't like using hotel safes (id rather lock valuable in my luggage), but I would strongly advise it , as about $350 went missing from our unlocked suitcase. Management were not particularly helpful with this issue either. All they did for us was give us a police report to fill out. I work in a hotel back home, and I can assure you, if something (money or otherwise) goes missing from a room it is taken extremely seriously, and a lot more is done to resolve it.

We had one particularly bad experience with the restaurant, as on the last night of our trip we made the silly decision to eat in. We waited 2.5 hours for a meal (not just us, the whole full restaurant waited at least 1-2 hrs for their meals), after which time i had filled up on bread and left overs from other tables that i cancelled my order and went to bed.

Aside from this, MOST of the staff were very lovely and friendly (especially Florence).

The view, and lagoon/beach area is spectacular and the sports equiptment is great fun (canoes/catamarans/snorkel).

I would reccomend this hotel, but I would warn people to proceed with caution (and patience) but I probably would only stay here as a second choice again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends